The Student Room Group

Medicine vs. Investment Banking.

Hey,
Well I recently applied to this really awesome school (in my opinion any ways) for sixth form and I got in, they offered me the subjects, Maths, chemistry Biology and Physics. And most probably, I can't change my subjects.

Initially, i picked these subjects because I wanted to do medicine, but after some thought and A LOT incredibly boring biology lessons, I think medicine is just not for me. And I do enjoy maths, however I haven't taken business studies or economics so I am no aware of this sector

I was wondering, are my AS levels ok for Investment banking and should I actually pursue it as a career? Are their any employment issues in this financial crisis? Is it really worth it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Nice sig
What would the chances be for investment banking with a chemistry degree from Manchester?
Also what are the chances of working in the oil industry for a company like saudi aramco or shell?
Lastly what would you recommend in terms of pay and other general perks out of these occupations?
Reply 3
Just taking a Maths/Physics or to a lesser extent Chemistry degree would offer you the option to get a job in the area of finance. You lack of Further Maths would be more of a barrier to the kind of course that lead in that direction than lack of economics.

Aren't you forming an idea of what being a doctor is like based on the work experience you need to have rather than Biology lessons. The fact Biology isn't even a requisite for medicine courses should tell you it bear little resemblance.
Reply 4
Original post by mucgoo
Just taking a Maths/Physics or to a lesser extent Chemistry degree would offer you the option to get a job in the area of finance. You lack of Further Maths would be more of a barrier to the kind of course that lead in that direction than lack of economics.

Aren't you forming an idea of what being a doctor is like based on the work experience you need to have rather than Biology lessons. The fact Biology isn't even a requisite for medicine courses should tell you it bear little resemblance.

Yes getting work experience is a good idea def, but at the same time I would argue that if the OP doesn't like the human side of biology a level (plant biology etc is entirely irrelevant) then medicine probably really isn't for them.

Unis don't necessarily have it as a pre requirement (tho most actually do from what I remember) because a level biology is comparatively very simplified and they will re teach you the necessary bits over the first couple of years anyway so people can manage without having studied it without too much difficulty (as opposed to it not bearing resemblance - if you don't like it at the simplified a level standard then I'd imagine your unlikely to like it when its the same but more complicated though I suppose some people might prefer the challenge of it)
Reply 5
Original post by phill mike hunt
What would the chances be for investment banking with a chemistry degree from Manchester?
Also what are the chances of working in the oil industry for a company like saudi aramco or shell?
Lastly what would you recommend in terms of pay and other general perks out of these occupations?

Is there any reason why you hijacked this thread? Open your own. Also, at what stage of your career are you? Have you already obtained the mentioned degree or do you plan to? I guess there are better sources for salaries, chances etc. in investment banking and the oil industry.
Reply 6
You ****ing noob, how are you ever going to become an investment banker with those A levels... They will definitely close your doors.

Edit: Sarcasm detection in progress.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
though I love maths but if I have chance to go few years back then I will must study for medicine because though IBs are paid very well but they have to work very hard in their jobs & mostly they work more than 16 hours a day whereas on the other hand doctors work less and still gets good salaries (if you don't believe me then just go to any local NHS operated hospital and then see yourself that how much they work :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by math1234
though I love maths but if I have chance to go few years back then I will must study for medicine because though IBs are paid very well but they have to work very hard in their jobs & mostly they work more than 16 hours a day whereas on the other hand doctors work less and still gets good salaries (if you don't believe me then just go to any local NHS operated hospital and then see yourself that how much they work :smile:

A close family member of mine is a doctor and he works 16+ hours a day including night shifts sometimes without weekends off. The point you are trying to make is fairly invalid as doctors work just as hard although get paid less.
Reply 9
Original post by star10159
A close family member of mine is a doctor and he works 16+ hours a day including night shifts sometimes without weekends off. The point you are trying to make is fairly invalid as doctors work just as hard although get paid less.

Yeah, you are true that doctors work really hard & are paid less, that's why they keep patients to wait for 3 hours in emergency unit, and they spend luxurious life.
(edited 12 years ago)
I depends if you want to help others or help yourself
Reply 11
Original post by Frenchous
I depends if you want to help others or help yourself

Attachment not found

What type of question this that?
Reply 12
Original post by math1234
Yeah, you are true that doctors work really hard & are paid less, that's why the keep patients to wait for 3 hours in emergency unit, and they spend luxurious life.

Which NHS hospital have you been shadowing Drs in to observe that they sit around doing nothing until each patient is at the 3hour mark? There are pressures (with targets etc.) to have made a decision & discharged or have transferred within 4 hours - so it's in the doctor's (for stress levels when the site manager is screaming 'breech' at you!) & department's interest to see patients as continuously as they can.
For some people that attend who are triaged as having lower clinical priority problems or where there are emergencies (these patients normally come straight into the Resus area via Ambulance rather than sitting in the waiting room) then their wait may keep on being pushed back... which can in itself be 'therapeutic' in focussing their mind on whether their problem is actually an emergency or accident worth waiting that long for or whether it would be more convenient (& appropriate) to make an appointment with their GP instead. :wink:

I am happy with the idea that a standard medic day might be shorter than an investment bankers - I obviously think the consequences of a sleep deprived lapse in judgment are higher when it comes to people's health :tongue: & also the 'presenteeism' factor in hours-at-work is probably lower in medicine.

Anyhow, as people have said - work experience would be better for insight into medicine than biology lessons. Or a degree option that would keep both open to you like a science subject where you could apply to 4 year medical courses as a graduate. Or a medical course with interecalted degree so you can stop after 3 years with a BA/BSc if you decide it's not for you.

& shall I be that TSR poster who whips out the story of someone doing Medicine then going straight to work in front office banking? Though, I did know a friend of a friend... :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Hey,
Well I recently applied to this really awesome school (in my opinion any ways) for sixth form and I got in, they offered me the subjects, Maths, chemistry Biology and Physics. And most probably, I can't change my subjects.

Initially, i picked these subjects because I wanted to do medicine, but after some thought and A LOT incredibly boring biology lessons, I think medicine is just not for me. And I do enjoy maths, however I haven't taken business studies or economics so I am no aware of this sector

I was wondering, are my AS levels ok for Investment banking and should I actually pursue it as a career? Are their any employment issues in this financial crisis? Is it really worth it?

lol, banking is renowned as being an incredibly boring industry as well. Economics would be helpful but yeh, maths is a good start.
Reply 14
Original post by Elles
Which NHS hospital have you been shadowing Drs in to observe that they sit around doing nothing until each patient is at the 3hour mark? There are pressures (with targets etc.) to have made a decision & discharged or have transferred within 4 hours - so it's in the doctor's (for stress levels when the site manager is screaming 'breech' at you!) & department's interest to see patients as continuously as they can.
For some people that attend who are triaged as having lower clinical priority problems or where there are emergencies (these patients normally come straight into the Resus area via Ambulance rather than sitting in the waiting room) then their wait may keep on being pushed back... which can in itself be 'therapeutic' in focussing their mind on whether their problem is actually an emergency or accident worth waiting that long for or whether it would be more convenient (& appropriate) to make an appointment with their GP instead. :wink:

I am happy with the idea that a standard medic day might be shorter than an investment bankers - I obviously think the consequences of a sleep deprived lapse in judgment are higher when it comes to people's health :tongue: & also the 'presenteeism' factor in hours-at-work is probably lower in medicine.

Anyhow, as people have said - work experience would be better for insight into medicine than biology lessons. Or a degree option that would keep both open to you like a science subject where you could apply to 4 year medical courses as a graduate. Or a medical course with interecalted degree so you can stop after 3 years with a BA/BSc if you decide it's not for you.

& shall I be that TSR poster who whips out the story of someone doing Medicine then going straight to work in front office banking? Though, I did know a friend of a friend... :biggrin:

I was in med school and decided to switch to Quant Finance. While most med students are pretty focused on becoming doctors, I know quite a few who have started their own business or went into SC/IB.

It's a pretty good nice pool of potential since entry requirements are usually higher here (NL) for med school than any other course of study.
Reply 15
Original post by Oorlog
I was in med school and decided to switch to Quant Finance. While most med students are pretty focused on becoming doctors, I know quite a few who have started their own business or went into SC/IB.

It's a pretty good nice pool of potential since entry requirements are usually higher here (NL) for med school than any other course of study.

How did it turn out? (if you don't mind me asking) :smile:
Original post by SonnyZH
Attachment not found

What type of question this that?

The attachement doesn't work
Reply 17
How did it turn out? (if you don't mind me asking) :smile:

I am a freshman (again). I think I'm more in line with my talents now (economics / mathematics). Can't really say anything about success because I don't really see undergrad as anything else than "sandboxing", but so far I've gotten very high grades.

Latest