The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shamika
I tried some of STEP III 2007:

- Q7 is a nice easy question. Recommend you try it because its a godsend given most STEP questions

Spoiler

- Q3 looks easy, but I don't see a good way of knowing which substitutions to make to get the quoted results. I just tried different things until it worked. I would've been one of those the examiners labelled 'rambling'. Perseverance is the key here. I think I missed something because I couldn't get it out for a while.

- I found Q2 even easier than Q7, but only because I knew that

Spoiler

This paper also proves DFranklin's point - its one thing trying to do these questions without a time limit, and quite another when you've only got 3 hours.

I think that particular paper is the easiest STEP III I've done...
Original post by TheMagicMan

Doesn't surprise me. Surprised the boundaries were so low though (is it always around 60 for a 1 on STEP III?). For once, I don't think the stats was trivial!
The 'obvious' way of doing this seems to be to derive stirling's approximation (not a difficult task) and log 10 it

Spoiler

Possibly more obvious:

The number of digits is going to be
Unparseable latex formula:

1+\floor \sum_1^N log_{10} (n)

Approximate/bound the sum by an integral and you're done.

[Of course, this is pretty close to how you derive Stirling's approximation, but it feels a little more "natural" to me].
Original post by shamika
Doesn't surprise me. Surprised the boundaries were so low though (is it always around 60 for a 1 on STEP III?). For once, I don't think the stats was trivial!
Looking at the examiners' solutions for the stats, I'm not totally impressed:

For the last part of (13), they say (paraphrased): "the expected distance covered in a jump is p+2q, so the expected number of jumps to travel a distance n is n/(p+2q)". No comment about n needing to be large, etc. If it was a "explain briefly", that would be one thing, but the question explictly says "explain carefully".

Then, for Q14, the question has a serious flaw: it talks about the smallest square enclosing the points, but it actually means the smallest axis-aligned square. I know of at least one person who didn't finish this question because they couldn't see how to deal with the possible orientations of the square.
Original post by DFranklin

Then, for Q14, the question has a serious flaw: it talks about the smallest square enclosing the points, but it actually means the smallest axis-aligned square. I know of at least one person who didn't finish this question because they couldn't see how to deal with the possible orientations of the square.

Surely a sign that the question shouldn't be attempted?

I do that Q7! :biggrin: *fistbump* :biggrin:
Original post by shamika

Check the first post - there's a list. Basically, yes :smile:
If it's OK with everyone, could we put all maths from now onwards in spoilers. It's great that we're helping each other out but, for example, recently people were talking about STEP II 2003 which I have yet to do and I plan to do it under exam conditions and so I had to look away which sucks.
Reply 1368
Is it too risky to insure a uni that's asking for step (2 in II / III)?
Reply 1369
Original post by deejayy

Only if you're not very confident of achieving that. Even then that's still a risk: can you achieve that on a really ****ty day?
Original post by deejayy

Is it Warwick?
Reply 1371
Original post by Dog4444
Is it Warwick?

Imperial, i really want to go there. I'm considering firming it.
Does anyone's mind seem completely inundated with thoughts of STEP? I find myself just thinking about past questions I've done, even from weeks before. I was just on another part of TSR telling someone that A-levels were harder than GCSEs and genuinely typed 'they're a big STEP up' before I realised my mistake -.-
Original post by deejayy
Imperial, i really want to go there. I'm considering firming it.

Wow. Did they start to give STEP offers? Or, you have special circumstances or something like that?
Original post by Dog4444
Wow. Did they start to give STEP offers? Or, you have special circumstances or something like that?

They give STEP offers to quite a few people, have been for the past 2-3 years (though I think their 'standard' offer is still A*A*A) :smile:

EDIT: As far as I know they only include STEP in the offer if you put it on your UCAS form (like Bath).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
They give STEP offers to quite a few people, have been for the past 2-3 years (though I think their 'standard' offer is still A*A*A) :smile:

They don't mention this on their webpage, it's a bit weird.
That's cool, anyway. Will be able to sit all of them next year. :rolleyes:

UPD
Original post by hassi94

EDIT: As far as I know they only include STEP in the offer if you put it on your UCAS form (like Bath).

What do you mean? You can ask for STEP offer, or what?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1376
Original post by deejayy

Depends how badly you want to go there / don't want to go anywhere else.

I'm insuring Warwick because I'd rather take a gap year and try again if I failed but I know a lot of people who would never do that.
Original post by Dog4444
They don't mention this on their webpage, it's a bit weird.
That's cool, anyway. Will be able to sit all of them next year. :rolleyes:

UPD

What do you mean? You can ask for STEP offer, or what?

They do have it on the website. Here they write "If you are taking STEP II or III then it is likely that we will include it in our offer at a Grade 2 minimum for one or other (either/or if you are taking both).".

Well on your UCAS form, when you add your qualifications (including pending qualifications); you can add STEP to your pending qualifications. You don't need to, however, so many don't bother. They assume that only people who included it on their UCAS form are taking it - and so won't ask for STEP in the offer unless you already say you're taking it.

Bath do the same thing, making people a STEP offer only if they include that they're taking it on the UCAS form.
Original post by hassi94
They do have it on the website. Here they write "If you are taking STEP II or III then it is likely that we will include it in our offer at a Grade 2 minimum for one or other (either/or if you are taking both).".

Well on your UCAS form, when you add your qualifications (including pending qualifications); you can add STEP to your pending qualifications. You don't need to, however, so many don't bother. They assume that only people who included it on their UCAS form are taking it - and so won't ask for STEP in the offer unless you already say you're taking it.

Bath do the same thing, making people a STEP offer only if they include that they're taking it on the UCAS form.

Right, you don't need to put STEPs as pending, applying to Warwick/Cambridge either?
Original post by Dog4444
Right, you don't need to put STEPs as pending, applying to Warwick/Cambridge either?

No (I certainly didn't)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending