The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9540
Original post by Hemzo
For you it's either Bath or LSE right?

Still unsure myself whether to choose Bath or Bristol. Both were really nice on their open days, if only I could combine Bristol's social life and societies with Bath's campus, accommodation and year placement :frown:

But Bristol is just down the road, it's not like you're going to be stuck in Bath 24/7 :tongue:
Original post by Hemzo
For you it's either Bath or LSE right?

Still unsure myself whether to choose Bath or Bristol. Both were really nice on their open days, if only I could combine Bristol's social life and societies with Bath's campus, accommodation and year placement :frown:

I haven't visited Bristol so I can't pass judgement. You can always visit Bristol from Bath if you wanted...

What are the differences in offers between the two?
Original post by jamiepango
I haven't visited Bristol so I can't pass judgement. You can always visit Bristol from Bath if you wanted...

I think Bristol asks specifically for 90+ UMS in both C3 and C4 whereas Bath accepts an average of 90% over the two units aka your usual A* :tongue: iirc
Original post by Brand New Eyes
I think Bristol asks specifically for 90+ UMS in both C3 and C4 whereas Bath accepts an average of 90% over the two units aka your usual A* :tongue: iirc

What? That's crazy :eek:

Although Bristol did ask for 80+ in both C3 and C4 for my offer... Still, didn't think they would specify 90+ :s-smilie:
Reply 9544
Original post by Tateco
But Bristol is just down the road, it's not like you're going to be stuck in Bath 24/7 :tongue:

I'm incredibly lazy :tongue:

Offers are the same, A*AA in any subject, but Bristol asks for two A's in C3 and C4.
I got an offer in NTU for Business Management with Economics. Is economics hell in university? My friend whos going to Cambridge for Economics said its "hell"
Original post by Hemzo
I'm incredibly lazy :tongue:

Offers are the same, A*AA in any subject, but Bristol asks for two A's in C3 and C4.

Bath is perfect then; you can get to your lecture from your room within 5 minutes :colone:
Reply 9547
Original post by Setsuna-F-Seiei
I got an offer in NTU for Business Management with Economics. Is economics hell in university? My friend whos going to Cambridge for Economics said its "hell"

It's all relative depending on your ability but NTU will be a lot less work than Cambridge economics for most people. Generally the better the university you are attending the more demanding the course will be.
Original post by Setsuna-F-Seiei

that's because its cambridge :tongue: dont worry! Look at the units/options at NTU to see whether you like the sound of it.

As the main focus of your degree is Business Management the Economics side of things will be negligible and you'll probably only do the side of economics which is more relevant to business (that said I don't know anything about your course or NTU)

Economics is fun :love: (although I don't think you're going to get a neutral opinion on this thread)

Hope that helps.
Reply 9549
Bath is perfect then; you can get to your lecture from your room within 5 minutes :colone:

What would make you consider Bath over LSE?
What? That's crazy :eek:

Although Bristol did ask for 80+ in both C3 and C4 for my offer... Still, didn't think they would specify 90+ :s-smilie:

that's weird :tongue: could've sworn thats what my friend's offer was :dontknow: maybe I wasn't really listening
Reply 9551
that's weird :tongue: could've sworn thats what my friend's offer was :dontknow: maybe I wasn't really listening

Concentration is key :wink:
Who else is taking F585 in June?

How do gilt yields affect overdraft interest rates, mortgages and business lending?
Original post by Tateco
What would make you consider Bath over LSE?

I'm gonna get shot down here :tongue:

Bath:
Nicer accommodation
Beautiful campus (LSE doesn't even have a campus :colondollar:)
Lower living costs
Not ecstatic about London
Less competitive wannabe investment bankers :colone:
Placement year
Possibly easier to get a 1st at Bath than LSE? (Does anyone actually have any stats with % of students attaining 1sts, 2:1 etc...?) Because the awarding of degrees are essentially a competition against the rest of the students in your course (i.e they can't have 80% achieving 1sts) I think I would have to work incredibly hard to get even a 2:1 at LSE (not saying that Bath will be easy though :tongue:)

LSE:
It's LSE :colone:

I think they probably meant 80+ in C3 and C4 :biggrin: I just realised if I get less than 80 in C4, I won't get into any universities next year :s-smilie:
Reply 9554
Who else is taking F585 in June?

How do gilt yields affect overdraft interest rates, mortgages and business lending?

Gilt yields will affect the interest rates on all kinds of debt, their influence will depend on the term of the debt, associated risk and all kinds of other factors. They are basically one of the instruments that allows BoE interest rates to trickle through the market.

Bath:
Nicer accommodation
Lower living costs
Placement year
Possibly easier to get a 1st at Bath than LSE? (Does anyone actually have any stats with % of students attaining 1sts, 2:1 etc...?) Because the awarding of degrees are essentially a competition against the rest of the students in your course (i.e they can't have 80% achieving 1sts) I think I would have to work incredibly hard to get even a 2:1 at LSE (not saying that Bath will be easy though :tongue:)

LSE:

I think they probably meant 80+ in C3 and C4 :biggrin: I just realised if I get less than 80 in C4, I won't get into any universities next year :s-smilie:

pictures? I wish I visited Bath now hmm but it was sooo far and the train is expensive. What's the best thing about the department?

Oh no! I'm sure you will though! do all your offers specify an A* in maths?
Reply 9556

Bath:
Nicer accommodation
Lower living costs
Placement year

LSE:

It's a hard to decision because it's basically a "do I want to enjoy myself for three years or do I want to enjoy myself slightly less for three years with the likelihood of better prospects?"
pictures? I wish I visited Bath now hmm but it was sooo far and the train is expensive. What's the best thing about the department?

Oh no! I'm sure you will though! do all your offers specify an A* in maths?

No pictures but I'm sure there's plenty around if you search for them :biggrin: Best thing? Placement year, good choice of modules (albeit I was slightly disappointed that languages don't count towards your module marks)

My lowest offer needs at least 80 in C4 (Bristol) but the rest want A or A* in maths :s-smilie:

Original post by Tateco
It's a hard to decision because it's basically a "do I want to enjoy myself for three years or do I want to enjoy myself slightly less for three years with the likelihood of better prospects?"

Pretty much :s-smilie: Basically, does the fact that it's LSE outweigh all the points I made about Bath?

LSE open day on Tuesday, I'll decide after that...
Reply 9558
No pictures but I'm sure there's plenty around if you search for them :biggrin: Best thing? Placement year, good choice of modules (albeit I was slightly disappointed that languages don't count towards your module marks)

My lowest offer needs at least 80 in C4 (Bristol) but the rest want A or A* in maths :s-smilie:

Pretty much :s-smilie: Basically, does the fact that it's LSE outweigh all the points I made about Bath?

LSE open day on Tuesday, I'll decide after that...

It would for me but it all comes down to personal preferences. For example, if it were Warwick v Bath I would have gone with Bath.
Original post by Tateco
It would for me but it all comes down to personal preferences. For example, if it were Warwick v Bath I would have gone with Bath.

Hmm yes I agree. It would be easier to choose Bath over Warwick, although we both got rejected by them so perhaps we just don't like them any more :tongue:

I saw this post on another thread:

"Assign a university to each side of the coin and flip it; while the coin is in mid-air you will realise which side you want the coin to land on, and that is where you truly want to go"

Think I might have to try it...

Latest