The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by comeluckyapril
Thank you!! :smile: I suppose I should have been more clear - I was wondering (if successful) whether I'd be contractually obliged to complete the scheme? So if, for example, I wanted to leave after just a year, would that be allowed?

If you're wanting to work for the FCO are you planning on applying for the Fast Stream any time soon?

I honestly couldn't say...If I was guessing, I would assume you had to complete it, unless you had a really good reason for dropping out. I don't think their website has much about this either. I don't even think there would be a good time to ask such a question...

I plan to apply next September, unless the NGDP comes through with a job. I wouldn't mind working in local government, and it doesn't have to be forever, if I wanted to move to the Civil Service instead. :smile:
Reply 361
Original post by laura130490
Yeah I hope they don't ask us complicated questions about the local government. I did some research before and after I applied to the position, but other than that I have no prior experience or knowledge of working in the government or things related to it. Unless you can count being the head of the student council for 5 years :tongue: I'm kind of shocked I've even made it though this far tbh.

What's everyone's background btw?

Every council will have its own council plan which will normally contain 5 or 6 or so strategic corporate objectives. There's normally a local partnership plan too which looks similar to the council plan but contains objectives that the council and its local partners in the private, public and voluntary sectors supposedly follow. :biggrin:
http://www.derby.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/councillors-democracy-elections/policies-and-plans/

Councils are now run by cabinets of up to 10 or so councillors. Each member has their own portfolio such as planning, children/young people & resources etc... This, like with the government, has arguably weakened the power of non cabinet councillors. But those councillors can get involved with corporate affairs through decision making committees and scrutiny commissions, which monitor the performance of council services. The council constitution sets out how all these things should work.

Remember that county and district councils have different levels of responsibility, whereas London councils, met districts and unitary authorities are normally responsible for everything in their areas. Sometimes there's overlap with national park authorities.

Don't forget about key statutory plans such as the Local Plan and its replacement, the Core Strategy (not counties), which contain all the planning & development polices and the Local Transport Plan which contains the transport policies. There's usually something for children, equality, housing and leisure as well. Worth checking to see what your local council has.

Hope that helps!!
Reply 362
Original post by Y'crik
I honestly couldn't say...If I was guessing, I would assume you had to complete it, unless you had a really good reason for dropping out. I don't think their website has much about this either. I don't even think there would be a good time to ask such a question...

I plan to apply next September, unless the NGDP comes through with a job. I wouldn't mind working in local government, and it doesn't have to be forever, if I wanted to move to the Civil Service instead. :smile:

Yep, a friend of mine left the council to work for the Environment Agency and another friend left the Environment Agency to work for a council!!
Reply 363
Oh, I should add something about senior officers as this is what NGDP is trying to create.

The Chief Executive is the most senior officer. He/she oversees all council services and works with the councillors to set the council's priorities. Six figure salary guaranteed (200k for some but more like 150k) although the government (and council tax payers) take more notice of salary amounts these days. You then have the Strategic Director, who heads a department such as Planning, Highways & Environment. (can also have six figure salary). Then there's the Director/Assistant director who heads a division of the department such as the full planning function plus a few extras. Then you have the section head/service manager, who runs a specific service such as planning development control. I'd have thought this is the minimum level that NGDP high flyers should be ultimately aiming for! :biggrin:

Senior officers have significant powers delegated to them, such as the approval of some planning applications, the approval of making statutory orders or the approval of smaller contracts. This relieves the load for committees which deal with the key decisions. But the downside is that if things go wrong, you can take the rap even if you only had indirect involvement in a matter. Just ask Sharon Shoesmith!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 364
Original post by Nitebot
Oh, I should add something about senior officers as this is what NGDP is trying to create. You have the Strategic Director, who heads a department such as Planning, Highways & Environment. Then there's the Director/Assistant director who heads a division of the department such as the full planning function plus a few extras. Then you have the section head/service manager, who runs a specific service such as planning development control. I'd have thought this is the minimum level that NGDP high flyers should be ultimately aiming for! :biggrin:

Senior officers have significant powers delegated to them, such as the approval of some planning applications, the approval of making statutory orders or the approval of smaller contracts. This relieves the load for committees which deal with the key decisions. But the downside is that if things go wrong, you can take rap even if you only had indirect involvement in a matter. Just ask Sharon Shoesmith!!

Thank you for this. I had no idea about this sort of thing, so it has been a great help for me. I assume anyone applying for this role has a senior position as their goal, but I didn't know about all the individual levels involved.

Does anyone know if it will be two assessment days? I checked the email, and that suggests two, but the website seems to suggest one and then a local authority interview -
We will have contacted all applicants regarding the first stage of the ngdp by friday 9th March 2012

If your application is successful you will be invited to an assessment centre in April 2012.

There will then be a round of interviews in May / June 2012 to decide the final intake.
Reply 365
Original post by Nitebot
Oh, I should add something about senior officers as this is what NGDP is trying to create. You have the Strategic Director, who heads a department such as Planning, Highways & Environment. Then there's the Director/Assistant director who heads a division of the department such as the full planning function plus a few extras. Then you have the section head/service manager, who runs a specific service such as planning development control. I'd have thought this is the minimum level that NGDP high flyers should be ultimately aiming for! :biggrin:

Senior officers have significant powers delegated to them, such as the approval of some planning applications, the approval of making statutory orders or the approval of smaller contracts. This relieves the load for committees which deal with the key decisions. But the downside is that if things go wrong, you can take rap even if you only had indirect involvement in a matter. Just ask Sharon Shoesmith!!

Yes thanks for sharing your knowledge - when's your assessment day? :biggrin:
Reply 366
Original post by Y'crik
Thank you for this. I had no idea about this sort of thing, so it has been a great help for me. I assume anyone applying for this role has a senior position as their goal, but I didn't know about all the individual levels involved.

Yeah, rank is important in public service because unlike in the private sector you don't normally have people doing the same job but on different salaries.
Reply 367
Original post by Y'crik

Does anyone know if it will be two assessment days? I checked the email, and that suggests two, but the website seems to suggest one and then a local authority interview -

Concentrate on passing the first stage instead :colone:
Reply 368
Original post by GdotL
Concentrate on passing the first stage instead :colone:

Ha Ha. I plan to do so, but I've a fairly packed next few months. It'd be a great help to me if I didn't have to prepare for another AC... :biggrin:
Reply 369
Original post by Y'crik
Ha Ha. I plan to do so, but I've a fairly packed next few months. It'd be a great help to me if I didn't have to prepare for another AC... :biggrin:

Well, you hardly have to 'prepare' much at this stage - save that for the interview! :eek:
Reply 370
Original post by GdotL
Well, you hardly have to 'prepare' much at this stage - save that for the interview! :eek:

I am brushing up on my math skills, and doing some reading about LG...Just in case. Only problem is, I was supposed to be working on my dissertation. It isn't due for a month but I want to get it done.

I figured it was better to prepare a little, even if it turns out to not be needed. :biggrin:
Reply 371
Original post by Y'crik
I am brushing up on my math skills, and doing some reading about LG...Just in case. Only problem is, I was supposed to be working on my dissertation. It isn't due for a month but I want to get it done.

I figured it was better to prepare a little, even if it turns out to not be needed. :biggrin:

Sounds good, my dissertation is due too except I haven't even started - which reminds me, I need to get cracking on that...ASAP :frown:
Reply 372
Original post by GdotL
Sounds good, my dissertation is due too except I haven't even started - which reminds me, I need to get cracking on that...ASAP :frown:

I'm sure you'll get it done. I think writing mine will be easy. Researching it took ages though. I just need to organise my notes now. The, from Wednesday, I shall write it, before starting to work on my final essay, due in early next term!
Reply 373
Original post by GdotL
Yes thanks for sharing your knowledge - when's your assessment day? :biggrin:

Bah...:biggrin: In my day, you couldn't fast track it to the top unless you managed to get on the corporate policy bandwagon.
Reply 374
Wow this site moves fast over the past few days! Im so glad I've done the Assessment Centre stage already, but obviously gutted I didn't go further then it last year! I don't think it would be appropriate to discuss what may happen at the assessment centre, but all I can advise is be super prepared! (Whatever that may mean thesedays...)
I've got my assessment centre on Thursday in Manchester. No idea what to expect but his whole calculator issue has put me off a little! My maths isn't the best...
Original post by ClaffClaff
I've got my assessment centre on Thursday in Manchester. No idea what to expect but his whole calculator issue has put me off a little! My maths isn't the best...

Same - are you morning or afternoon? I was given the morning slot, so I have to get a really early train :sad: ah well, at least the AC location is right opposite Oxford Road station.
Reply 377
Original post by stormstar
Wow this site moves fast over the past few days! Im so glad I've done the Assessment Centre stage already, but obviously gutted I didn't go further then it last year! I don't think it would be appropriate to discuss what may happen at the assessment centre, but all I can advise is be super prepared! (Whatever that may mean thesedays...)

Superprepared? But there's nothing we can prepare for this stage! Or is there...? :redface:
Reply 378
I know some are running today. To be honest, my guess is they've completely revamped it so any advice I give would be useless...
Hey, I've been sent to e-mails with two different times. Tried to call the team, but with no luck. I guess I am just going to go with the most recent one. Good luck everyone!

Anyone know if it is formal dress? The e-mail was not very detailed.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending