The Student Room Group

I think Jessie J has a better singing voice than Adele.

Scroll to see replies

Both are completely worthless.

Jessie J is the same as every pop RnB singer ever, and Adele is a screechy bitch who people like because she can screech high notes, which is all people think it takes to be a good singer.
Original post by metalthrashin'mad

Jessie J is the same as every pop RnB singer ever, and Adele is a screechy bitch who people like because she can screech high notes, which is all people think it takes to be a good singer.

'Worthless' is taking things way too far. Jessie J's singing voice is technically astonishing, I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone's match up ever. She should at least be credited for that regardless of whether you like her music or not.
Reply 22
Maybe Adele's bigger hype is due to people preferring her songs in general rather than just singing ability?
Adele made her song "rolling in the deep" because thats what whales do in the deep sea.

She's a whale.

JJ is a smoking hot bird who should be nailed by me on a daily basis.

Nah, Jessie's melismas are absolutely unmatched, and I've only ever heard 3 other singers belt an A5 with the consistency and tonal quality she possesses at such a high octave. Adele has a contralto vocal range, so it's literally impossible for her to be screechy. Try again - go on, I'll give you another crack at it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Adele made her song "rolling in the deep" because thats what whales do in the deep sea.

She's a whale.

JJ is a smoking hot bird who should be nailed by me on a daily basis.

I listen to my music, not watch it, so what relevance does an artist's look have to anything?
I think performance wise Jessie J and I like her voice and when I first heard her songs I liked her especially her live version of "Who you are" but I feel shivers when Adele sings and I wasn't a fan of Adele at first but Chasing Pavements did get me through a difficult time in my life so I guess I feel more of an emotional connection with Adele than I haven't had with Jessie J yet.
And Someone Like You and Rolling in the Deep are amazing songs. She did deserve those Grammy's and Jessie J will be getting hers next year hopefully.
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
'Worthless' is taking things way too far. Jessie J's singing voice is technically astonishing, I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone's match up ever. She should at least be credited for that regardless of whether you like her music or not.

On no song I have heard her sing has she done anything better than any other mediocre popstar.
Reply 28
They're actually both rubbish :s-smilie:
Original post by XXchachaXX
They're actually both rubbish :s-smilie:

Compared to?
Original post by Retrodiction
Compared to?

Elizabeth Frazer, Lisa Gerrard, Anneke Van Giersbergen just for starters.
On no song I have heard her sing has she done anything better than any other mediocre popstar.

And it never occurred to you that you simply didn't look hard enough? I wonder if all her critics are this stupid... and given your inability to respond to my other comment, I'm guessing you at least aren't too bright.
Elizabeth Frazer, Lisa Gerrard, Anneke Van Giersbergen just for starters.

Your logic is a little off. To say that artist A is bad compared to artist B is not to say that artist A is bad full stop. None of the artists you listed have the technical vocal capabilities of Jessie, nor the power and general technical consistency when belting in the 5th octave.
i think they both need to **** off and die... maybe jessie j could ingest a large quantity of poison and then adele could eat her?
they are different.. you can't really compare. i prefer adeles voice, but saying which one is better is stupid because they are so different.

i think adele is more popular because people prefer he voice (no bearing on who is "better" technically) and also prefer her songs.
(edited 11 years ago)
I listen to my music, not watch it, so what relevance does an artist's look have to anything?

And I listen to my music.

Anyone who likes Adele is laughable. Over hyped and average at best.
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
And I listen to my music.

Anyone who likes Adele is laughable. Over hyped and average at best.

But the exact same thing could be said about anybody who listens to anything. Allow me to demonstrate: "Anyone who likes [insert artist/band] is laughable. Over hyped and average at best." See?
Nah, Jessie's melismas are absolutely unmatched, and I've only ever heard 3 other singers belt an A5 with the consistency and tonal quality she possesses at such a high octave. Adele has a contralto vocal range, so it's literally impossible for her to be screechy. Try again - go on, I'll give you another crack at it.

Well Adele is not an operatic vocalist, and if you think Jessie is unmatched you obviously haven't heard a lot to compare her to. Again, I refer you to Lisa Gerrard, Elizabeth Frazer and Anneke Van Giersbergen.
Well Adele is not an operatic vocalist, and if you think Jessie is unmatched you obviously haven't heard a lot to compare her to. Again, I refer you to Lisa Gerrard, Elizabeth Frazer and Anneke Van Giersbergen.

I'm guessing you're not well-versed in the technical theory behind vocals, as you're clearly ignorant of the existence of a category called 'non-operatice contralto'. Sarah Vaughan and Etta James are 2 others in this category. I've heard a lot by all three of the listed artists over last few months - they're hardly unknown - and technically they just don't match up. I ask you to direct me to a piece of singing by them with such technically astounding melismas or beltings of an A5.
I'm guessing you're not well-versed in the technical theory behind vocals, as you're clearly ignorant of the existence of a category called 'non-operatice contralto'. Sarah Vaughan and Etta James are 2 others in this category. I've heard a lot by all three of the listed artists over last few months - they're hardly unknown - and technically they just don't match up. I ask you to direct me to a piece of singing by them with such technically astounding melismas or beltings of an A5.

You're right I am not. I am doing a philosophy degree, not a music one, and playing guitar is the only thing I know a great deal about through actually playing it.

Thing is Adele and Jessie J sound absolutely horrible to listen to, shrill, screechy and just awful to my ears. High notes for the sake of it don't sound good. I would much rather listen to singers who can just sing, rather than force high notes for no reason. Listening to "even the spirits are afraid" by the gathering right now and there would be no need to sing an A5, it doesn't fit with the song.

To me Jessie J is almost unlistenable. Ok she might have a better technique (although I doubt it), but technique isn't everything, it has to be aesthetically pleasing too. If technique was everything we would only ever listen to classical music and some more technical progressive rock.

Quick Reply