The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
ive got

5700000/100 = 57000

and 0.01M of HCL

but dont know where im going wrong
Oh my gosh I sped through the first 4 problems in 40 minutes then got completely stuck on Rg. I've slept on it and nope... still nothing!
Can anyone help?
Reply 262
C3L6 = hell on earth

<3 x
Original post by Yetix
ive got

5700000/100 = 57000

and 0.01M of HCL

but dont know where im going wrong

Write out the equation and you will see.
Original post by USB
Ah my bad! The hint I have you refers to the Copper one actually, glad to see you managed the entry one fine though :smile:

Silver is annoying me, as I'm not sure how to consider the information of pH 2...

Do we use -log(h) = pH to determine number of H ions??

Yep :-)
Anyone who has done roengentium, help would be appreciated: just a hint, such as the relevance of the graph in background.
Original post by polkadotty5
Oh my gosh I sped through the first 4 problems in 40 minutes then got completely stuck on Rg. I've slept on it and nope... still nothing!
Can anyone help?

Exactly the same for me. So if anyone knows it please message me, its killing me :frown:
Reply 267
For Silver, make you use the the right Mr (to about 4 or 5 sig figs), I only did it to 3 sig figs and it wouldn't accept my answer so I wasted 30 mins on it when I practically had the right answer.

Could someone provide some more advice on Gold. I think it's a bacterium, in particular a halobacteria because of the reddish colour in a couple of the pictures but it won't give me the right answer.

I've looked up what each place is and I got someplace in the middle of Spain (near Seville), the Great Salt Lake, Adelaide (Australia) and Harare (Zimbabwe).

So any further hints?
Reply 268
Original post by PythianLegume
Write out the equation and you will see.

(Y)

thanks
Original post by akarataka
For Silver, make you use the the right Mr (to about 4 or 5 sig figs), I only did it to 3 sig figs and it wouldn't accept my answer so I wasted 30 mins on it when I practically had the right answer.

Could someone provide some more advice on Gold. I think it's a bacterium, in particular a halobacteria because of the reddish colour in a couple of the pictures but it won't give me the right answer.

I've looked up what each place is and I got someplace in the middle of Spain (near Seville), the Great Salt Lake, Adelaide (Australia) and Harare (Zimbabwe).

So any further hints?

Look up the areas on a map and google them. They all have similar man-made things there.
I think I'm officially stuck. NMR peaks may work for the first line in Rg, but it doesn't work for the 2nd line. Ugh...

By the way, for those stuck on gold, if you have an A level biology textbook with you, look around the applications topics. I solved Gold in 5 minutes because we did that topic talking about that organism last month.
Original post by akarataka

So any further hints?

You are on the right track. Look into the type of rock there and what the bacteria do to it. Hope that helps
Reply 272
I've been searching the internet for hours now for the answer to the Roentgenium question and have found nothing... Any tips?
Reply 273
Can anyone help?

Original post by PythianLegume
Anyone who has done roengentium, help would be appreciated: just a hint, such as the relevance of the graph in background.

Original post by david2457
Exactly the same for me. So if anyone knows it please message me, its killing me :frown:

If it's any consolation, my friend and I are also dying, we've tried all whole numbers from 1 to 1000! so don't bother with them...

we're wondering whether the graph is an amplitude time one but no idea about how to apply it...

Any help please?!

could it be a negative number/decimal/greater than 1000? :frown:
Reply 274
Original post by Oromis263
*weeps*

Finally finished this months. Sleepy times me thinks. Will help out if anyone needs it (y)

Hey congrats on finishing it! So many of us are stuck on the last question, any help would be massively appreciated pleasee!! Thanks :smile::smile:
Original post by Mr Tough
If it's any consolation, my friend and I are also dying, we've tried all whole numbers from 1 to 1000! so don't bother with them...

we're wondering whether the graph is an amplitude time one but no idea about how to apply it...

Any help please?!

could it be a negative number/decimal/greater than 1000? :frown:

Haha great minds and all that - I've done negatives up to -200!
Reply 276
Original post by Randophera
I think I'm officially stuck. NMR peaks may work for the first line in Rg, but it doesn't work for the 2nd line. Ugh...

By the way, for those stuck on gold, if you have an A level biology textbook with you, look around the applications topics. I solved Gold in 5 minutes because we did that topic talking about that organism last month.

what board? :smile:
Original post by USB

Silver is annoying me, as I'm not sure how to consider the information of pH 2...

I was a little confused and upset for about 30 seconds until my brain turned on and realised what we were talking about again ¦D
Reply 278
Haha great minds and all that - I've done negatives up to -200!

haha well that leaves it either being a decimal or an incredibly cruel large number!
Gold is frustrating my life. If anyone can PM me the answer, I would be very grateful.

Quick Reply