The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiran96
Any hints for the copper level question? I'm only a GCSE student :tongue:

I believe something you may cover at GCSE physics will give you a clue as to what the lines might represent. However, you'll need A2 physics or good googling skills for what 8->4 represents.

Spoiler

Original post by Mr Tough
haha well that leaves it either being a decimal or an incredibly cruel large number!

Original post by chemistinthemaking
Gold is frustrating my life. If anyone can PM me the answer, I would be very grateful.

Original post by nomnum
Arrrgh can someone hint me the last question please? Sooo confused :frown:

Original post by david2457
I am loosing ideas for the last question. May not even be NMR. If someone has a breakthrough or knows it, message me, thanks :smile:

Original post by GreenLantern1
Not a clue! I was thinking NMR peaks, but the more I try to do it the less I think that it is NMR.

Has anyone actually done Rg?!

I am just going to go back to my GCSE Biology revision. Rg is just too hard!

Ok, to everyone stuck on Rg. You're going to need A2 Chemistry (or at least, that's where I covered it), or be able to learn quickly from the very poor internet sources that exist.

Spoiler

Original post by Oromis263
I believe something you may cover at GCSE physics will give you a clue as to what the lines might represent. However, you'll need A2 physics or good googling skills for what 8->4 represents.

Spoiler

Yes you can manage it with good googling skills don't worry :smile:
I found the answer on wikipedia.
I started with something I had a clue about:

Spoiler

Ok, to everyone stuck on Rg. You're going to need A2 Chemistry (or at least, that's where I covered it), or be able to learn quickly from the very poor internet sources that exist.

Spoiler

That being said, I think a page in my exam notes may help, if people wish to try learn. Page 16 of attached notes:

https://sites.google.com/site/mathslab9000/home/chemistry/f324---rings-polymers-and-analysis

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
You got it mate? I no lifed until the early hours until I did... >.<

I see whut you did thur.

Help me please? :-)
That being said, I think a page in my exam notes may help, if people wish to try learn. Page 16 of attached notes:

https://sites.google.com/site/mathslab9000/home/chemistry/f324---rings-polymers-and-analysis

Spoiler

I have given up for now. Will try again later, but in the meantime if anyone does it please let me know!
Literally no idea about the gold level. Got the places but no idea how they link!
Someone help!
how someone did this in 19 minutes i don't even...
Original post by Me123456789
what is the cambridge chemistry challenge? :confused:

LOOOL

just search it up on google. It for able Year 12's or Year 11's if you know A-Level Chem
Original post by Silverland
how someone did this in 19 minutes i don't even...

That is some crazy brother!:eek:
don't you hate how C3l6 logs you out every so often and you have to go all the way back from the start again?

anyways, I'm just hoping this is one bad April fool's joke ¦]

anyways, I'm just hoping this is one bad April fool's joke ¦]

What do you mean?
uh... because it's hard ._.
copper?!! im useless! help
Reply 314

Spoiler

Your link doesn't work for me :frown:
Could you explain what it says please? :smile:
uh... because it's hard ._.

Thought so...:cool:
Rg Spoiler:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 318
I'm completely stuck, I've used a bit of software called ChemDraw to find the number of peaks in 13C NMR and when you multiply them together, it doesn't work. It works for the top line, 1 for C60, 2 for Adamantane and 4 for HNC, but it doesn't work for Nano chef x Mescaline x Rhodamine 123 (There's a clue for people who haven't even got that far yet) so I don't know what to do, and I can't see the relevance of the exponential sound decay is though? anyone got any ideas on how to go about it (and don't ask me for the 13C NMR, I'm sure you can all work it out! I've done it both ways and they both give the same answers.)
Original post by Doctor Feelgood
Rg Spoiler:

Spoiler

I am 15 doing my GCSEs as well and I have worked out about the NMR peaks and had some help with C13. But I can't clue together the carbon environments for each molecule!!!!:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest