The Student Room Group

Bod Mod Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mega Nerd
I don't think I have any sea salt at home, how can I clean my tragus piercing? Don't have any saline solution either...only got my contact lens saline solution...and I don't think that'll be good to use for it!

Any suggestions? :smile:

x

What's in your contact lens solution?
If it's the boots own one then it's just salt and water.
Check the ingredients.
Reply 5781
I don't think I have any sea salt at home, how can I clean my tragus piercing? Don't have any saline solution either...only got my contact lens saline solution...and I don't think that'll be good to use for it!

Any suggestions? :smile:

x

You'll be fine just using normal salt tbh.
Original post by Popppppy
What's in your contact lens solution?
If it's the boots own one then it's just salt and water.
Check the ingredients.

It's not the Boots one, it's one that I'm given with my contacts I think it's Options don't think it's just salt and water.

Original post by Kate.
You'll be fine just using normal salt tbh.

Ahh right good :smile: I'll have to try and mix up a bit tomorrow. Do I use it when it's still hot/warm or leave it to cool? - I don't really have any clue apart from the odd bit I've read on here, haha.

x
It's not the Boots one, it's one that I'm given with my contacts I think it's Options don't think it's just salt and water.

Ahh right good :smile: I'll have to try and mix up a bit tomorrow. Do I use it when it's still hot/warm or leave it to cool? - I don't really have any clue apart from the odd bit I've read on here, haha.

x

I always boil the kettle, then use the boiled water to mix with the salt then let it cool down until its comfortable.

If the skin starts to dry out, stop using salt for a few washes. Really though, I would leave it as much as possible apart from cleaning a few times a day cause it'll heal better that way...less likely to have a lot of swelling if you don't touch it!
My sister is coming next week for a couple of days so I think I'm going to get her to take me to the piercing place (so I don't have to get the bus back if I don't feel well afterwards) and ask about a forward helix :dance:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by VickyTink
I always boil the kettle, then use the boiled water to mix with the salt then let it cool down until its comfortable.

If the skin starts to dry out, stop using salt for a few washes. Really though, I would leave it as much as possible apart from cleaning a few times a day cause it'll heal better that way...less likely to have a lot of swelling if you don't touch it!

Thank you :smile:

Somehow lost my ball for it this morning, I have a stud...so it could come out and I don't want it to as it's only been 24 hours hahah...should've bought a spare just incase!

What can I do? As I won't be able to go to the place I got it done until Tuesday, as they will be closed now...and tomorrow and Monday they aren't open!

Any advice?
Reply 5786

Somehow lost my ball for it this morning, I have a stud...so it could come out and I don't want it to as it's only been 24 hours hahah...should've bought a spare just incase!

What can I do? As I won't be able to go to the place I got it done until Tuesday, as they will be closed now...and tomorrow and Monday they aren't open!

Any advice?

Borrow a ball from a friend? In a complete emergency you could use something like a bit of pencil eraser stuffed on the end to hold it.
Original post by Juno
Borrow a ball from a friend? In a complete emergency you could use something like a bit of pencil eraser stuffed on the end to hold it.

I could, but I might not see them tonight :/ looked on the Internet they say that the rubber from a pencil or blu tack to hold it.

I tried a back from my earring on the front...didn't work :/

Either that or I'll try and use a plaster to hold it in! It's already a little difficult as it's a bit swollen so it's made the stud shorter in effect, haha.
Reply 5788
I could, but I might not see them tonight :/ looked on the Internet they say that the rubber from a pencil or blu tack to hold it.

I tried a back from my earring on the front...didn't work :/

Either that or I'll try and use a plaster to hold it in! It's already a little difficult as it's a bit swollen so it's made the stud shorter in effect, haha.

If it really goes wrong then a decent piercer would offer to repierce for free - or at least at a discount.

Any advice?

I'm forever loosing the balls off the end of mine, so don't worry! Might be a little difficult cause it's a tragus, but see if you can put a plaster over the back of it to keep the end pushed through the ear.

Otherwise, some of the ideas above this are good too :smile: Most piercers will do it for free, and mine replaced my anti-tragus bar as the ball fell off due to swelling for free, but it won't be greatly expensive if they expect you to pay! As they're not open til tuesday, I don't recommend keeping the plaster on all that time, so see if you can pick up a bar from another piercer nearby and if you're not confident at putting them on yourself, ask them if they will do it for you.

Make sure you're keeping up with cleaning it though! Since theres nothing to keep it in one place, it's more likely to bleed/seep! Mines still swollen and is a couple weeks old now!
How much does a tragus piercing mess with being able to wear in-ear headphones? I really want one but I love my music. :erm: Also, is it possible for your tragus to be too small? :colondollar:
Reply 5791
Original post by Aemiliana
How much does a tragus piercing mess with being able to wear in-ear headphones? I really want one but I love my music. :erm: Also, is it possible for your tragus to be too small? :colondollar:

It depends on the placement of the piercing and your headphones - and a bit on your jewellery. Personally I have no problems with my expensive Sennheiser headphones, but my crappy 99pshop ones don't behave as well.

And yeah, you can have a tragus that's too small, but it would have to be very small for that to happen.
Original post by Juno
It depends on the placement of the piercing and your headphones - and a bit on your jewellery. Personally I have no problems with my expensive Sennheiser headphones, but my crappy 99pshop ones don't behave as well.

And yeah, you can have a tragus that's too small, but it would have to be very small for that to happen.

I have Sennheiser CX 280s - do you reckon they'd be okay? I only want a stud thingy (barbell?) not sure if that makes a difference?

I just say a picture on Wikipedia of someone with a tragus piercing and their tragus was tiny so hopefully I'll be okay!

Roll on pay day on Thursday :woo:
Reply 5793
I have Sennheiser CX 280s - do you reckon they'd be okay? I only want a stud thingy (barbell?) not sure if that makes a difference?

I just say a picture on Wikipedia of someone with a tragus piercing and their tragus was tiny so hopefully I'll be okay!

Roll on pay day on Thursday :woo:

I've not played with those headphones, but I don't see why they won't be. You'll need to give it at least a few weeks to settle down, and for the first few months you probably want to clean your headphones (with wipes or something) to stop all the germies getting in.

A barbell is better for healing, although your initial barbell will be over long to allow for swelling so you might need to push it into a more appropriate position first.

And if you're really tiny you might need to visit more than one piercer to find someone competent.
Original post by Juno
I've not played with those headphones, but I don't see why they won't be. You'll need to give it at least a few weeks to settle down, and for the first few months you probably want to clean your headphones (with wipes or something) to stop all the germies getting in.

A barbell is better for healing, although your initial barbell will be over long to allow for swelling so you might need to push it into a more appropriate position first.

And if you're really tiny you might need to visit more than one piercer to find someone competent.

I guess I can go a few weeks. :p: I've been thinking about starting to clean them regularly anyway so that's not too much hassle.

I'm thinking of going back to Holier Than Thou in Manchester - I got my helix done there and it was so clean-looking and only ever gets good reviews, so hopefully it should be okay? It's not actually that small, it's just that other places I've had piercings (I've not got many) have been a lot larger, if that makes sense?
Reply 5795
I guess I can go a few weeks. :p: I've been thinking about starting to clean them regularly anyway so that's not too much hassle.

I'm thinking of going back to Holier Than Thou in Manchester - I got my helix done there and it was so clean-looking and only ever gets good reviews, so hopefully it should be okay? It's not actually that small, it's just that other places I've had piercings (I've not got many) have been a lot larger, if that makes sense?

Well, Holier Than Thou is one of the few places Darren would recommend so I guess that makes it ok. Ask for Marcus, though. I had my smilie done there by some random girl and it lasted a few weeks til the wonkiness annoyed the **** out of me and I took it out. I'm going back to Darren for repiercing later :smile:
I need some sports headphones now I have my tragus done, too much swelling at the moment, but my small barbell is waiting to be put in! The length is doing my head in catching on everything!

As for tragus being too small, mine is pretty much non-existent, but since having it pierced it's now there, though I think that's a mixture of where the bar is and the swelling.
Reply 5797
I wasn't gonna post these, but I'm too pleased with them.

These are my lower back shinies - done last October

Spoiler

These are my new ones - I'm getting 2 more in June equally spaced upwards so the top one is about in line with my shoulder blades

Spoiler

All done by Darren at Notorious Ink in Camden (well, the first 2 were done whilst he was still at his old shop).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Juno
Well, Holier Than Thou is one of the few places Darren would recommend so I guess that makes it ok. Ask for Marcus, though. I had my smilie done there by some random girl and it lasted a few weeks til the wonkiness annoyed the **** out of me and I took it out. I'm going back to Darren for repiercing later :smile:

Awesome. I think he was the one that did my last one, he was really nice. :yep:
Okay, I caught sight of my ears in the mirror and I'm back to worrying that the tragus part might be too small again. :s I officially hate my ears after having spent so long actually looking at them. Ears are just weird things, aren't they?

Anyone, can anyone say if I'm imagining it all? The tragus thing that is, not the ear hate. The ear hate is now real.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending