The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i got 1 GSCE in Art, woop. I was 16 and never went to school, I was bored and I worked 10 hour days in the family business.

I'm not going to lie, it's bloody hard work getting it repaired. View it like a credit history, GCSEs are like the initial deciding factors, however if you take out other courses, they can repair the damage left.

I have since done a NVQ3, Key skills in maths and English, Access to Medicine, Level 3 Business, Counselling, Mental Health, ATT and nearly finished a BA in Health and Social care with the OU. So now people don't ask too much about my GCSEs (plus it was 15 years ago since I took them).

But having low grades was the worst thing that happened to me, you need to do some serious hard work to get into uni. Even more so now, there is more competion and entry requirements are much higher.
Got BBBCCCCCDU or something like that at GCSE and got into two Russell group unis (Sheffield and Leeds), one of them for a fairly prestigious course that only takes on 18 people a year - and most posters on here would've told me not to bother applying for them.

As long as you get good AS's, you can do p much anything.
Reply 42
depends- on how hard you work in college/sixthform- think about what course you would want to do- research the grades- and try and get them if possible- but be realistic- everyone has their own limits and remember uni isn't always for everybody.

NB: some of the most successful people in the world didn't go to university/ or finish it for that matter- so don't worry about it if you choose not to go.
If someone gets grades like that at GCSE, how would they cope with A-levels, let alone a degree?
Reply 44
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
If someone gets grades like that at GCSE, how would they cope with A-levels, let alone a degree?

I felt that I wasn't taking my g.c.s.e. very seriously when I was in school 4 years ago, If I took them more seriously then maybe I'd have gained better grades.
If I were to start over again now I feel I'd take it more seriously so its not that I can't do them its more I think to do with me not being so bothered about them at the time
It depends what you want to do... say you wanted to study busines then start out at NQ level (they accept standard grades/GCSEs and work your way up to HND then you can get a degree. (This is in Scotland btw dont know if the qualifications are different in England)
Yes I did.:smile: Have four offers so far from pretty decent uni's.

Just do well in college and make sure the uni's know of any circumstances that prevented you from not doing well (via personal statement and/or reference) but don't over play it and be truthful.

I honestly thought I'd get five rejections based on my poor GCSE's have none as yet and none of them seem phased by it because I've proved I can do well in college. Bad GCSE's can make the route university more difficult but doesn't cut it off completely.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by littleone271
You can't go to any university without at least having C's in maths and english I don't think. Certain universities might make exceptions for certain people such as foreign students providing their A-level (or equivalent) grades make up for it. If you want to study something that's in any way considered academic then they'll expect at least 5 C's, maybe more. To do A-levels you have to have B's in the subjects you want to take or in similar subjects such as you have to have B's in english (lit and lang) to do psychology A-level at most colleges. Depending on what you want to study though they might accept you providing you take evening classes and re-sit them.

The more important thing to consider here I think is that if you're not capable of getting C's at GCSE then how will you cope on a level 3 course that would get you to university anyway? Sorry to be blunt but if someone does badly in their GCSEs because they're incapable of getting higher grades then they shouldn't be considering doing an academic university course. It's a bit unrealistic.

I don't have a C in Maths the universities I've got offers from arn't too bothered about it because my course uses very little Maths (I am doing an equivalency but the uni's haven't required me to pass it). I don't have 5A-C either again universities arn't too fussed.

You don't have to do A levels to get into university there are many other routes which don't require you to have great GCSE's.

People change. You do GCSE's at 16 (for some even younger) no I couldn't cope with the workload then, I was unmotivated and I struggled to gain a good grade but a lot has changed in my life since then (and I'm assuming it's the same with the op). Why should someone be judged on the matter they didn't do well in school when they were 15/16? There are a lot of things I couldn't do at 16 which I can do very well now coping with academic work is one of them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Unless you're aiming for Red Brick unis, no one gives a **** about your GCSEs.

As long as you're getting enough C's to be able to do your A levels.

After that, it all depends on what uni and what course you're up for.

Courses like Law and Med will look at your GCSEs to see your overall performance, see if there's a gradient of improvement or if you're getting worse over the years.

Unis like Russell Group ones will look at your GCSEs for most courses regardless.

I applied for mid-range unis like Keele, Plymouth and such - They didn't pay any regard to my GCSEs
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by nerd434
The GCSE grades may put you at a disadvantage for courses such as Medicine/Law etc. Also Universities that look at GCSE's as a major factor in the selection process - Oxford/Birmingham for example.

BUT if you are able to show that you can significantly turn your grades around and achieve A's and maybe even A*'s at A-Level then Universities could look at this in a positive manner and notice how you developed a passion for studying and learning. Believe me it 'is' possible to have such a dramatic turn-around in academic performance, it just requires focus and dedication.

To qualify as a policeman do you have to go to Uni?

Original post by tamimi
Unless you're aiming for Red Brick unis, no one gives a **** about your GCSEs.

As long as you're getting enough C's to be able to do your A levels.

After that, it all depends on what uni and what course you're up for.

Courses like Law and Med will look at your GCSEs to see your overall performance, see if there's a gradient of improvement or if you're getting worse over the years.

Unis like Russell Group ones will look at your GCSEs for most courses regardless.

I applied for mid-range unis like Keele, Plymouth and such - They didn't pay any regard to my GCSEs

What exactly are A levels and can I sit them at college with standard grades?
Reply 50
Original post by Oasis'

What exactly are A levels and can I sit them at college with standard grades?

A levels are level 3 courses, people usually do them after GCSEs in order to be accepted to uni. You can sit A levels in either college or Sixth form.
You pick your subjects depending on what you want to do in uni.
For example, if you want to be a journalist, you could pick something like English, English literature and History.
(Something relevant)

A levels aren't easy.

A levels aren't easy.

A levels are split into two years.
First year is called A.S.
Second year is called A.2.

Usually, people pickup 4 A.S. and then drop 1 subject which they found difficult or didn't like in the second year so they do 3 A.2s.

AS+A2 = Full A level
So you'd end up with 3 Alevels and one A.S. Level.

Generally, you need 3 A levels with decent (+Cs) to get to uni,.
Original post by Beebumble
I don't have a C in Maths the universities I've got offers from arn't too bothered about it because my course uses very little Maths (I am doing an equivalency but the uni's haven't required me to pass it). I don't have 5A-C either again universities arn't too fussed.

You don't have to do A levels to get into university there are many other routes which don't require you to have great GCSE's.

People change. You do GCSE's at 16 (for some even younger) no I couldn't cope with the workload then, I was unmotivated and I struggled to gain a good grade but a lot has changed in my life since then (and I'm assuming it's the same with the op). Why should someone be judged on the matter they didn't do well in school when they were 15/16? There are a lot of things I couldn't do at 16 which I can do very well now coping with academic work is one of them.

I realise there are other ways of getting into university rather than A-levels. I'm actually doing a BTEC extended diploma in forensic science thats enabling me to go to university.

I got in through having reasonable GCSE grades though and if I didn't have those then I would have had to do the level 2 course first before doing the course I'm doing at the moment. I suppose if I had done that then I might be accepted to go to university but through doing that I would have substantial evidence of reasonable maths and english skills as my current course requires me to write level 3 standard essays with harvard referencing as well as needing to be able to understand level 3 chemistry, biology and statistics.

Pretty much every university course I've come across through UCAS requires at least C's in maths and english though. Maybe it would be different for degree courses in art or jewellery making. I don't know but I suppose if somebody is a mature student and has other evidence such as a completed access course then it would probably be overlooked. Or perhaps someone who isn't necessarily a mature student but who has worked their way up through the level 2 course first then some universities would accept that. It's probably a good idea for the OP to phone the universities and explain their individual situation and ask if their GCSE grades would be a problem or not.
Reply 52
My GCSE's were lower than my friends since I didn't really bother much. After that I decided to work hard and now may AS results were better than my friends.
Reply 53
Original post by tamimi
A levels are level 3 courses, people usually do them after GCSEs in order to be accepted to uni. You can sit A levels in either college or Sixth form.
You pick your subjects depending on what you want to do in uni.
For example, if you want to be a journalist, you could pick something like English, English literature and History.
(Something relevant)

A levels aren't easy.

A levels aren't easy.

A levels are split into two years.
First year is called A.S.
Second year is called A.2.

Usually, people pickup 4 A.S. and then drop 1 subject which they found difficult or didn't like in the second year so they do 3 A.2s.

AS+A2 = Full A level
So you'd end up with 3 Alevels and one A.S. Level.

Generally, you need 3 A levels with decent (+Cs) to get to uni,.

So regardless of grades I can sit A levels? if I chose to do English and history will the work I do in those subjects be the A levels I'm working for ? thanks
Reply 54
Original post by Oasis'
So regardless of grades I can sit A levels? if I chose to do English and history will the work I do in those subjects be the A levels I'm working for ? thanks

No, just like you need to get good a levels to get into uni, you need good GCSEs to get into A levels.

Usually, you need 5 A*-C GCSEs to be let into a college/sixth form.
Original post by Oasis'

How old are you? An Access course maybe a simpler way.
Reply 56
Original post by tamimi
No, just like you need to get good a levels to get into uni, you need good GCSEs to get into A levels.

Usually, you need 5 A*-C GCSEs to be let into a college/sixth form.

So if I resit my English, Maths, and Science and get say a C then I will be eligible to sit A levels?
those are 3 separate subjects so I'd need to enroll on 3 courses? and even then that will be only 3 c's and most course require 5?

thanks
Yeah, you can go to Uni.

I've heard there are pedicure courses these days...
Reply 58
Original post by Beebumble
How old are you? An Access course maybe a simpler way.

20 :cool:

What is the usual duration on an Access course and what sort of work does it involve? does it higher my G.C.S.E. or something?
Reply 59
Original post by Oasis'
20 :cool:

What is the usual duration on an Access course and what sort of work does it involve? does it higher my G.C.S.E. or something?

Access courses are designed for 19+ year olds (many without qualifications). Within the course are GCSE equivalent modules for English and Maths which can make up for bad GCSEs, but some uni's will require actual GCSEs in English and Maths so it would be wise to contact the universities that you are considering (about whether you will need to resit Maths and English) before applying.

Access courses are 1 year full time or 2 years part time.

Latest

Trending

Trending