The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Is the answer for Copper a number or does it have letters?
That was the most evil Rg question there could be! Glad to have it done.
Reply 322
Original post by david2457

Help me, bro D:
Reply 323
I've probably spent the longest time on this question so I know how everyone is feeling. In fact, I decided to make a TSR account just so I can help others since no-one was before:frown:.

HINT for the Rg question: the number is between 3000 & 4000, the image in the background is a Free Induction Decay graph, and the idea of resonance is very important.

Good Luck :biggrin:
Original post by Degreen
Is the answer for Copper a number or does it have letters?

Purely a number.
Original post by xylas
I've probably spent the longest time on this question so I know how everyone is feeling. In fact, I decided to make a TSR account just so I can help others since no-one was before:frown:.

HINT for the Rg question: the number is between 3000 & 4000, the image in the background is a Free Induction Decay graph, and the idea of resonance is very important.

Good Luck :biggrin:

It is a whole number or a decimal?
Original post by chantelleeee
It is a whole number or a decimal?

Whole number:colondollar:
Original post by david2457

Indeed! Thanks for the help :biggrin:
Reply 328
Done it, although I'm not impressed, I would dispute their argument for the symmetry of one of the molecules, I'll post some more on it after April when everyone's had a chance to do it. All I'll say is if it's close to symmetrical then assume it is. Good luck everyone!

EDIT: Having read their explanation (I forgot they had one) I understand the reason for the symmetry, but I think it's rather devious, you need to consider the delocalisation of electrons in the molecule similar to that in a carboxyl group.
(edited 12 years ago)
Am I just being incredibly thick? I don't understand anything the internet is telling me about FID or NMR. I've never heard of either of them until today and they don't make sense to me.
I'd really appreciate any more help?
Reply 330
Thanks to everyone who helped :biggrin: I don't think I've ever been so happy to see the end of a Chemistry challenge! :P
Reply 331
Original post by nomnum
Thanks to everyone who helped :biggrin: I don't think I've ever been so happy to see the end of a Chemistry challenge! :P

Can you message me the answer, I still can't figure it out :'(
Reply 332
Can someone please message me the answer..im on the verge of insanity here :frown:
Original post by Dyl63
Can someone please message me the answer..im on the verge of insanity here :frown:

Done. Though I don't see how me simply telling you the answer will help!
How do you do the copper one?
I've got quite far but as far as I can see it's physics not chemistry and that position needs to Shift. Am I right along those lines can someone pm me giving hints.
Someone please message me the Rg answer i'm totally stumped!
Original post by gmseahorse
How do you do the copper one?
I've got quite far but as far as I can see it's physics not chemistry and that position needs to Shift. Am I right along those lines can someone pm me giving hints.

It's not a shift, you may want to look up a group of series' relating to electron excitation and then what happens when an electron returns to a certain energy level..
Reply 337
any more hints for the last one?
im completely lost! :frown:
Reply 338
hint for gold?
A particularly annoying one this month! I'm not even sure why i do them!

Thanks to all for the help with the RG question, without it i'm not sure how long it would have taken.

Quick Reply

Latest