The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oasis'
Can people say with 6 G.C.S.E. but grades that ranged from say d to f in subjects such as maths, science and that, can a person with such grades get into Uni or does getting into uni always depend on what grades you have? thanks

If you resat your GCSEs then yes. Most likely you'll have to. Also offers are based on A-Level grades so you'd need to work hard at those.
Original post by Oasis'
20 :cool:

What is the usual duration on an Access course and what sort of work does it involve? does it higher my G.C.S.E. or something?

An access course lasts one academic year (full time). A lot of them are predominantly course work based but it depends on which one you go for. There are many different types like access to law, humanities, sciences etc.. It all depends what you want to do at university.

They don't ask for GCSE's but they may ask you to do a very basic literacy and numeracy test. You can do GCSE equivalencies along side it but the actual diploma is equivalent to A levels and leads you straight onto university.

Go onto your local colleges websites to see what access courses they offer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Oasis'
So if I resit my English, Maths, and Science and get say a C then I will be eligible to sit A levels?
those are 3 separate subjects so I'd need to enroll on 3 courses? and even then that will be only 3 c's and most course require 5?

thanks

Yup.

Note: Entry grades are different for each college. You've just gotta ask.
Also, for doing science, GCSE students often get "Double award" meaning 2 GCSE worth.

Also, if I were you, I'd just phone up a college. Explain to them that you would like to go to uni to study <subject> but you have a lack of qualifications. Ask about their "Access courses". These are courses for people who want to go to uni but for whatever reason don't have the qualifications necessary.
Reply 63
Original post by Bromine
Access courses are designed for 19+ year olds (many without qualifications). Within the course are GCSE equivalent modules for English and Maths which can make up for bad GCSEs, but some uni's will require actual GCSEs in English and Maths so it would be wise to contact the universities that you are considering (about whether you will need to resit Maths and English) before applying.

Access courses are 1 year full time or 2 years part time.

But what if I called up say Edge hill or Newcastle Uni and they say resit your Maths and English to gain C's and then 2 years later I apply for uni to apply and find its now changed and B's are required?
Also there is no guarantee that I'd be successful in overwriting my current G.C.S.E?
Reply 64
Original post by Beebumble
An access course lasts one academic year (full time). A lot of them are predominantly course work based but it depends on which one you go for. There are many different types like access to law, humanities, sciences etc.. It all depends what you want to do at university.

They don't ask for GCSE's but they may ask you to do a very basic literacy and numeracy test. You can do GCSE equivalencies along side it but the actual diploma is equivalent to A levels and leads you straight onto university.

Go onto your local colleges websites to see what access courses they offer.

I can't find the access course on the website, can you find it www.westlancashirecollege.co.uk
Original post by tamimi
Yup.

Note: Entry grades are different for each college. You've just gotta ask.
Also, for doing science, GCSE students often get "Double award" meaning 2 GCSE worth.

Also, if I were you, I'd just phone up a college. Explain to them that you would like to go to uni to study <subject> but you have a lack of qualifications. Ask about their "Access courses". These are courses for people who want to go to uni but for whatever reason don't have the qualifications necessary.

Thank you, I'll do that I think but it'd have to be once they reopen after Easter holidays.
Reply 65
Original post by Oasis'
Thank you, I'll do that I think but it'd have to be once they reopen after Easter holidays.

Best of luck. Don't forget to share your experience on TSR for others in your same position. :rolleyes:
Reply 66
Original post by tamimi
Best of luck. Don't forget to share your experience on TSR for others in your same position. :rolleyes:

Thanks and I will.

Anyway pretty sure I think I have my mind made up on career choice - a Journalist. To become one do I NEED to go to Uni or will college alone suffice and what course should I be on for that career path or what G.C.S.E would you suspect I'd need to retake?
Reply 67
Original post by Oasis'
Thanks and I will.

Anyway pretty sure I think I have my mind made up on career choice - a Journalist. To become one do I NEED to go to Uni or will college alone suffice and what course should I be on for that career path or what G.C.S.E would you suspect I'd need to retake?

You can work your way up.
My mother did a degree in Biochemistry in the late 70s with no intention of picking up the ink and feather. She worked in journalism since. She worked her way to the top and did her masters degree last year in international journalism. I'm very proud of her.

You can do anything with a bit of determination. Qualifications will only help you find jobs as an employee, but with journalism and similar subjects there's a bit of a tolerance margin in terms of how you can get into the trade.

Charles Dickens for example, quit school at 15 and began his career as a solicitor's clerk.
Reply 68
Original post by tamimi
You can work your way up.
My mother did a degree in Biochemistry in the late 70s with no intention of picking up the ink and feather. She worked in journalism since. She worked her way to the top and did her masters degree last year in international journalism. I'm very proud of her.

You can do anything with a bit of determination. Qualifications will only help you find jobs as an employee, but with journalism and similar subjects there's a bit of a tolerance margin in terms of how you can get into the trade.

Charles Dickens for example, quit school at 15 and began his career as a solicitor's clerk.

So what course do you think I should be applying for at college or what G.C.S.E. do you think I may need to improve on to get into journalism? thanks again
Original post by Iron Lady
I hope not.

Why not idiot?-he'll be the one paying for it anyway
Reply 70
Original post by Oasis'
So what course do you think I should be applying for at college or what G.C.S.E. do you think I may need to improve on to get into journalism? thanks again

Contact your local college and ask them. You should be looking for something like this: http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/Access-foundation-details/Journalism-Access-to-Higher-Education-Certificate-course-details/34257984/7019/cdetail.html

(Read the description)
Reply 71
Original post by Oasis'
But what if I called up say Edge hill or Newcastle Uni and they say resit your Maths and English to gain C's and then 2 years later I apply for uni to apply and find its now changed and B's are required?
Also there is no guarantee that I'd be successful in overwriting my current G.C.S.E?

You mentioned English and History; if you look at the content I suppose this Access course is quite relevant to you?:
http://www.westlancs.ac.uk/courses/adults/access-to-higher-education/access-to-humanities-%28teaching,-law,-social-work-and-social-sciences%29

The thing about an Access course is, full time, it's a one year course. If you apply now you would start the Access course in September 2012, and apply to start uni in September 2013.

You could call up/e-mail the universities (to ask about GCSE requirements and Access courses) between August and October, when they've probably already defined the entry requirements for entry next September. That way you don't risk them changing the requirements.

If they say they want you to get GCSEs in Maths and English then you can take them alongside your Access course (it's quite common and not so bad if you're motivated).
Original post by Oasis'
Thanks, out of curiosity how did you get it up?

Googled West Lancashire College clicked on the first link, clicked on courses went to adults scrolled down to where it said 'Access to Higher education' and click read more.
It largely depends on what you want to study and where, because different courses and uni's has different requirements.
Reply 76
Original post by Beebumble
Googled West Lancashire College clicked on the first link, clicked on courses went to adults scrolled down to where it said 'Access to Higher education' and click read more.

That's great thank you, so if upon completion of the course I can then go onto doing the health and social care diploma level 2 in college that I'd be unable to do without doing the Access programme? ?
Original post by Oasis'
That's great thank you, so if upon completion of the course I can then go onto doing the health and social care diploma level 2 in college that I'd be unable to do without doing the Access programme? ?

I thought you wanted to do journalism?:s-smilie:
A level 2 course is lower than an access course it's the same standard as GCSE. Access will get you on to a degree.
you have to do an access course but you still will have to resit your Gcses because it is apart of the course. you might have to do like a foundation diploma but you need English and maths as well as pass three other subjects because the minimum requirement is 5 Gcses A to C. good luck but I'm sorry to says this but you need to get Gcse and A levels to get into university.

If you do a diploma that is equivalent to A levels they will you do functional skills level 2 and that is equivalent to GCSE and a lot of universities accept this.
Original post by Oasis'
Can people say with 6 G.C.S.E. but grades that ranged from say d to f in subjects such as maths, science and that, can a person with such grades get into Uni or does getting into uni always depend on what grades you have? thanks

Depends if you have any mitigating circumstances. Nearlly all degree courses require atleast a C in GCSE English. Also due to low GCSE grades your A-level results (or equivalent) would have to be pretty amazing for a decent university to give you an offer. But nothing is impossible, I know a guy who got D's in his GCSEs and a few E's, yet did well in his a-levels and got into a top 50 university. Although he did have mitigating circumstances (family death). I am obviously basing this on entry to a typical degree programme, entry onto lower university qualications/access/foundation programmes would be different, however mitigating circustances and/or proof of determination would have to be shown.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending