The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Does anyone here think that deadlifts are overrated for muscle growth and that the risk of injury outweights the benefits (from a bodybuilding perspective)?

Please don't neg me for asking this lol
I used to pull from about an inch below the knee.

purely because at heavy weight, my lockout specifically was my weak point.

so basically, train the part of the lift you're weak at. And if you're not weak at any part, then don't bother with rack pulls?
Original post by RocknRap
Does anyone here think that deadlifts are overrated for muscle growth and that the risk of injury outweights the benefits (from a bodybuilding perspective)?

Please don't neg me for asking this lol

not really, no. Firstly, there's only a risk of injury if you're performing the lift badly, and that's the case with most lifts, so I wouldn't use that as a reason not to do it, I'd use it as a reason to do it correctly.

Secondly, I do believe you can build a good back without them, but considering the above point, why would you? Deadlifts hit pretty much every muscle in your back, and they also work your forearms/glutes/hamstrings... if I stopped deadlifting, I'd have to spend about 3 hours more per week doing isolation exercises. eff that.
Reply 203
Original post by RawJoh1
On 5/3/1:

Agree with the others that you can't judge it from one cycle. You're using submaximal weight relative to what you were doing prior to 5/3/1 so you're not presenting your body with a bigger stimulus than you were prior to 5/3/1 (I'm ignoring assistance work here which isn't really fair but meh). So of course you're not going to get stronger. The entire point is that the submaximal weights used slowly increase.

Seems to me you chop and change a lot. Just pick something and stick to it for 6 months or more.. Doesn't have to be an established programme (though obviously, lots of established programmes are very good).

was only on ss before this, my second programme ever.

the weights for my +1 week were basically my previous 5 rep maxes....and i failed hard.( so i think that's a pretty good estimate to see if you have progressed).
given my weight gain i should have got a little stronger.
Original post by redbuthotter
Where shuld/do people rack pull from? Would it be better to work the weak position or go to 15" where its likely to be easier and work that instead.

Probably not worth that much thought tbh, 12" & 15" pulls are 2 of 10 exercises I can think of to improve the lockout.
Reply 205
Was it your brother who's on 531 for 2 years and made good progress? I personally don't like it too, it did work for my press iirc, but personally I don't like high reps for deadlift even during warmup.

tbf reps ain't that high, first week i was hitting around 7-10 reps second week 5-7 and last week 3-5, also you can do 5/3/1 for powerlifting just hit prescribed reps then do a few singles.
Reply 206
Original post by Gallium
was only on ss before this, my second programme ever.

the weights for my +1 week were basically my previous 5 rep maxes....and i failed hard.( so i think that's a pretty good estimate to see if you have progressed).
given my weight gain i should have got a little stronger.

OK maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I dunno, thought you were doing stuff like really frequent pressing and front squats etc but I must be wrong. I do think you should just do something for 6 months though, see where it gets you.
From a bodybuilding perspective I could see how deadlifts could be too much to recover from. I do them, but I'm not sure I would if I didn't care about strength at all. Then again this isn't a big deal for people who aren't pulling very much weight and it's not a big deal for quite a lot of people who are either. Injury risk is insignificant though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RawJoh1
I do think you should just do something for 6 months though, see where it gets you.

This. Just do something and stick to it for at least six months. Do it properly and make sure you're eating, too.
Reply 209
Original post by RawJoh1
OK maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I dunno, thought you were doing stuff like really frequent pressing and front squats etc but I must be wrong. I do think you should just do something for 6 months though, see where it gets you.

never done front squats, but i went through a period pressing frequently and it worked!

yeah i'm on my second cycle of 5/3/1 if there's no improvement i'll cut my losses. i was over ambitious as i was reading posts of people hitting big prs in the first month.
assistance lifts are going up and i don't even push them that hard just do 3-5 sets and try add 2 reps every week.
You might not want to do deadlifts if you're a homosexualist, and being a homosexualist doesn't even prohibit you from having fairly decent development in some of the musculature of the back, but if you actually have some ****ing balls it's quite likely that you'll want to be able to pick up heavy weights from the floor, the oldest test of strength known to mankind.
deadlifts will give you thickness like no other exercises

saying that I don't do them anymore lol
Reply 212
Working legs every other day till they reach a respectable level. Starting tomorrow. Gonna take before/after pics.
Reply 213
Original post by Smack
You might not want to do deadlifts if you're a homosexualist, and being a homosexualist doesn't even prohibit you from having fairly decent development in some of the musculature of the back, but if you actually have some ****ing balls it's quite likely that you'll want to be able to pick up heavy weights from the floor, the oldest test of strength known to mankind.

Jakes on you, good luck with your disc slipping goals of 2012.
Strong homophobia.

Edit: And the oldest test of strength known to mankind was probably plain old fighting against each other, or hunting wild animals for meat (yes irate)
(edited 12 years ago)
lol that is proper weird, and you're fully healthy ect?? Get your blood tested :P

i think it's cos you can't really cheat a rack pull with a rounded back. Different set up too.
what are peoples opinion on chopping parts of programs they think work best for each particular lift.

Say maxing on my squat works well and I like it, and for bench I need a little more volume like texas method and then DL's I throw in some speed and racks or follow some set program.

I wouldn't want to do TM for my squats more would I like to maxout on my bench regularly.

Anyone else feel this way about training?

I'd say that every great lifter out there aside from Westside and few others had to make up their own ****. So, yes, I think that makes perfect sense. You do what works.

Also, rack pulls should be done below the knee ALWAYS. How much is up to you. I think if you take it too high you're fooling yourself into thinking it helps. Your patterns are gonna be 100% different and you'll rack pull will go up but your deadlift won't. So I'd be wary how high you take it. But you got to experiment. I've done 2" and 4" and I think those helped.

I don't know if going much higher would help. Something that I may try out in the future.
Reply 216
Are chuck taylor's just a pair of converses? or are they a specific pair of converses? please help
Original post by desijut
Are chuck taylor's just a pair of converses? or are they a specific pair of converses? please help

Although could also get low-top (which I did).
Reply 218
Original post by desijut

just any cons, i use vans atm but their completely wrecked, need to buy a new pair but i'm pretty broke atm. Need to renew gym membership and buy some protein powder(only need it as it's my only protein for breakfast, can't stomach wholefoods in the morning) as well.
Reply 219
Original post by Michael XYZ

Although could also get low-top (which I did).

Yeah, i think i'd prefer low-tops

Original post by Gallium
just any cons, i use vans atm but their completely wrecked, need to buy a new pair but i'm pretty broke atm. Need to renew gym membership and buy some protein powder(only need it as it's my only protein for breakfast, can't stomach wholefoods in the morning) as well.

ah cool, where's the cheapest place to get a pair?

Latest