Canterbury
Visit website

Best Accommodation at Kent ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RosieRose
Applied for parkwood flats :biggrin:

Me to :smile:

Came up with this preference list, mainly from talking to existing students on the open day:

Park Wood Flats
Tyler B & C
Park Wood superior houses
Park Wood houses
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 21
I'm in the parkwood 'inferior' houses

have the smallest of room (my bed is in the way of my closet opening)

but considering the price I paid and how much money I have had left over, it worked out for the best

got a ps3 (if you have a games console you want to bring look into mac addresses) , dual tv monitors, printer among other things because of how much money was left over

maybe I'm in denial who knows

but the extra money has allowed me to have a great time at uni

also on another note, haven't heard any complaints about any of the accomodation available (as long as it is self catered)
Reply 22
Original post by alfaromeo
Me to :smile:

Came up with this preference list, mainly from talking to existing students on the open day:

Park Wood Flats
Tyler B & C
Park Wood superior houses
Park Wood houses

Oo, that looks the same as my list, except my second choice is tyler a and my last choice is darwin house :biggrin:
Reply 23
Parkwood Houses, by a distance...
Reply 24
Was just looking at the fees page for Kent accomodation and it says
"Fees are payable at the start of each period and a £300 refundable damage deposit is also due with the Period 1 payment"

What does that mean exactly? Would I need to get £300 myself to pay for this, or will it be taken out of the maintenance loan/grant? When do I get this back?

Please quote if you reply, thanks
Reply 25
Original post by DeaNo G
Was just looking at the fees page for Kent accomodation and it says
"Fees are payable at the start of each period and a £300 refundable damage deposit is also due with the Period 1 payment"

What does that mean exactly? Would I need to get £300 myself to pay for this, or will it be taken out of the maintenance loan/grant? When do I get this back?

Please quote if you reply, thanks

Hey man. Basically, your first accommodation payment in September will include an extra £300 which providing you don't damage your room etc you will get back at the end of the academic year.

The £300 (along with the rest of the accommodation payment) will come straight from your bank account. But don't worry as your student finance will go in to your account before your first payment is made. I am a first year now, and when i joined in September the dates on my student finance made it seem as if i would have to pay my accommodation before i got my student finance. If this happens to you, don't worry. Kent give you ages to pay for your first installment incase you have any troubles. Someone I know paid it in December because their student finance was really late, so you'll be cool!

Hope this helps mate
I just changed my first choice to Parkwood Flats. :biggrin:

These were my original choices.
Parkwood standard (5 bedroom house)
Parkwood superior (6 bedroom house)
Darwin College room
Darwin College house

What's the difference between Parkwood Flats and Parkwood superior? I'm so confused!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by diamonddust
I just changed my first choice to Parkwood Flats. :biggrin:

These were my original choices.
Parkwood standard (5 bedroom house)
Parkwood superior (6 bedroom house)
Darwin College room
Darwin College house

What's the difference between Parkwood Flats and Parkwood superior? I'm so confused!

Parkwood flats are separate... see my post on page one for details about them. They are basically 4-6 bed flats, all with large rooms and en-suites. Very similar to Tyler Court but with less rooms per flat.

Parkwood superior houses are just houses but newer than standard ones, with 6 rooms rather than 5 but with an extra bathroom and bigger kitchen. :-)
Original post by yorkie_in_kent
Parkwood flats are separate... see my post on page one for details about them. They are basically 4-6 bed flats, all with large rooms and en-suites. Very similar to Tyler Court but with less rooms per flat.

Parkwood superior houses are just houses but newer than standard ones, with 6 rooms rather than 5 but with an extra bathroom and bigger kitchen. :-)

Thanks! Xx
I think I am going to go for Parkwood 6 bed houses, Parkwood 5 bed houses.

For 3rd and 4th it will probably be Darwin College and Darwin Houses. I am not sure which order to put these though.

From looking at the prices, it will need to be these four options in some configuration. I don't think I can justify an extra thousand pounds for the higher end accommodation, and I am not really bothered about having a bigger room or en suite.
hello does anyone have idea about darwin flats- studio? lyk hws it or any info on it at all? it wud b really helpful thanks much! :smile:
Nobody seems to have mentioned the Keynes flats. I was shown inside one of these(in addition to viewing inside one of the standard houses at Park Wood) and they are really nice; spacious and classy:cool:. I couldn't believe just how big the kitchen was; it made the kitchen in the park wood house look paticularly pokey and cramped.

However, I did like the whole student village community thing, I wonder if a current Kent student could let me know if there are any differences between the flats within Park Wood and the Keynes flats(other than the location on campus!)?
Reply 32
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
Nobody seems to have mentioned the Keynes flats. I was shown inside one of these(in addition to viewing inside one of the standard houses at Park Wood) and they are really nice; spacious and classy:cool:. I couldn't believe just how big the kitchen was; it made the kitchen in the park wood house look paticularly pokey and cramped.

However, I did like the whole student village community thing, I wonder if a current Kent student could let me know if there are any differences between the flats within Park Wood and the Keynes flats(other than the location on campus!)?

Keynes flats are awesome. So much room and it feels like being in a hotel rather than a flat
Reply 33
My sister is a first year at Kent, and she said she wished she'd gone into Park Wood. Apparently it's really sociable, and you meet the nicest, most down to earth people there.

She lives in Tyler Court B and hates it. Don't get me wrong, I visited yesterday and the facilities are brilliant - the rooms are well equipped and have tonnes of storage space, plus the kitchens are huge. However in her flat alone 5/8 are international students who are apparently really messy, don't take the bins out on their allocated days, and are just generally very cold and unsociable. The place just lacks atmosphere. It isn't quiet in a relaxed, easy going kind of way it's just dull. This does depend on who who live with though - i'm sure if you get some nice housemates it would be fine.
Reply 34
I've applied for:
Parkwood 5 bed house
Parkwood 6 bed house
Darwin house
Cant remember my last choice...Might have bin Darwin college

I was worried at first about the distance of the Parkwood houses, but I liked the sound of the atmosphere so applied for them. Im definately pleased I did, especially after reading peoples positive comments about Parkwood
Reply 35
which accomodation is best out of the self-catered ones? for my first 2 choices im stuck between keynes flats, park wood flats and tyler court B & C so if anyone can tell me which is best or pros and cons that would be helpful

Quick Reply

Latest