The Student Room Group

what do you classify as being fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
we all know when someone is fat
Lacking a waist
Reply 22
I know that clothing size is not a very good indicator but anything less than size 6 is definitely too thin, while anything more than size 18 is not going to be a healthy weight.

I know that those values are quite a wide range but I don't want the range to be too narrow since there are going to be exceptions to the rule.
That moment when you look in the mirror and realise your tits are bigger than your girlfriends. And then you realise your girlfriend is made up in your head.
Having a body fat percentage higher than 24 if you're male or higher than 31 if you're female?
Reply 25
I don't categorise people as being fat or skinny. Never in conversation do I say that x or y is fat or skinny, and nor do I think it.

I probably do have friends who's BMI goes into the overweight range and others who's BMI goes into the underweight range. It's not something I actively think about though.

I'll admit, when I see someone morbidly obese sometimes I cringe and starting asking questions to my self such as how it must hurt or how tiring it must be to carry around all that weight, how they ended up that size, etc. etc. and I guess I just developed a morbid fascination for a couple of minutes, but I do try to exercise some self-control and police my own thoughts etc. etc. But even in those scenarios I don't think that they're fat.

I'm not trying to be self-righteous but I just don't see why it's necessary to actively categorise everybody you meet.

I mean, I know it's hard. When I've met people who are extremely androgynous to such a degree you can't tell, it's been somewhat unsettling not to be able to just place them in a box and then hold them to a set list of standards based on that box etc. etc. etc. But that's a flaw in my thought process I've acknowledged and am trying to overcome, and I think the same should be said of those who feel the need to define someone as, 'fat', 'chubby', 'skinny', 'normal', 'lanky' etc. etc. every time they encounter someone.

EMZ.
Any person above 25+ BMI,lacking a large mass of muscle because muscle is heavy and can affect the BMI reading.Deciding whether someone is fat,when you see them,can be tough because fat is distributed in different places in different people and having a slim chest/fat chest doesn't necessarily mean you are slim or fat because the fat could be stored in your legs and many other places.
As others have said, it entirely depends on the person. It's not as though there's a clear cut off point as to when somebody becomes fat anyway. It's not like there's a magic weight or anything that defines it.

I dunno, I guess this is somewhere along the lines of being too big to just be called chubby :

whereas Charlotte Church here I'd say is probably more like chubby than "fat". Don't get me wrong, she's clearly overweight, but I think there's degrees of being overweight :

Then obviously the photo posted by Nessie is fat, that's just obvious. That's super morbidly obese.
Original post by Emor
I don't categorise people as being fat or skinny. Never in conversation do I say that x or y is fat or skinny, and nor do I think it.

I probably do have friends who's BMI goes into the overweight range and others who's BMI goes into the underweight range. It's not something I actively think about though.

I'll admit, when I see someone morbidly obese sometimes I cringe and starting asking questions to my self such as how it must hurt or how tiring it must be to carry around all that weight, how they ended up that size, etc. etc. and I guess I just developed a morbid fascination for a couple of minutes, but I do try to exercise some self-control and police my own thoughts etc. etc. But even in those scenarios I don't think that they're fat.

I'm not trying to be self-righteous but I just don't see why it's necessary to actively categorise everybody you meet.

I mean, I know it's hard. When I've met people who are extremely androgynous to such a degree you can't tell, it's been somewhat unsettling not to be able to just place them in a box and then hold them to a set list of standards based on that box etc. etc. etc. But that's a flaw in my thought process I've acknowledged and am trying to overcome, and I think the same should be said of those who feel the need to define someone as, 'fat', 'chubby', 'skinny', 'normal', 'lanky' etc. etc. every time they encounter someone.

EMZ.

You "police your own thoughts" ?? :lolwut:

and you don't think that people who are morbidly obese are fat?

Okay you're a little out of touch with reality there. A little bit away with the fairies.
When you can grab your stomach and play around with the flab, like move it up and down and stuff. Lovely.

Too skinny, when you have bones sticking out.
Reply 30
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
You "police your own thoughts" ?? :lolwut:

and you don't think that people who are morbidly obese are fat?

Okay you're a little out of touch with reality there. A little bit away with the fairies.

I was attempting to be a mixture of comical and sarcastic when I said that I police my own thoughts. If I were to be more elaborate and accurate I suppose I actively acknowledge negative ways of thinking and try to modify them, i.e., if I notice I'm prejudice towards a certain minority I'll analyse why this is and whether or not this prejudice is valid etc. etc. and then based on the conclusions I make from the introspection attempt to modify said way of thinking appropriately. Though generally little is required once I've acknowledged that it's a flawed way to think.

That's not really what I was saying. I was saying there shouldn't be a need to categorise people based on their weight, independent of their weight. If I think weight is irrelevant to a person's character then by extension it's also irrelevant that they're, 'really overweight'.

I don't know why but for whatever reason it's only on this forum(well, maybe a couple of others IDK) that these sort of claims regarding my, 'normality' are made.

EMZ.
When they struggle to fit on one seat on the bus I guess.
overweight
Original post by Emor

That's not really what I was saying. I was saying there shouldn't be a need to categorise people based on their weight, independent of their weight. If I think weight is irrelevant to a person's character then by extension it's also irrelevant that they're, 'really overweight'.

You're talking to somebody who is married to a guy that is 25 stone (33 stone when he was at his biggest), so I agree that weight isn't the only thing that defines a person.....
....BUT.....he's fat. I know he's fat, HE knows he's fat, and for the sake of his health it would be ludicrous to overlook this fact.

I don't know why but for whatever reason it's only on this forum(well, maybe a couple of others IDK) that these sort of claims regarding my, 'normality' are made.

Possibly because you're coming out with statements that are somewhat against the grain. I wouldn't know, this is the first post from you I've ever noticed, so I can't comment on anything you have posted about in other threads, but I have to say that what you said here was peculiar.
Reply 34
You're talking to somebody who is married to a guy that is 25 stone (33 stone when he was at his biggest), so I agree that weight isn't the only thing that defines a person.....
....BUT.....he's fat. I know he's fat, HE knows he's fat, and for the sake of his health it would be ludicrous to overlook this fact.

Possibly because you're coming out with statements that are somewhat against the grain. I wouldn't know, this is the first post from you I've ever noticed, so I can't comment on anything you have posted about in other threads, but I have to say that what you said here was peculiar.

I don't really want to enter a debate on the general validity of the notion of, 'health', and perhaps it's not correct of me to disagree without giving my reasoning but regardless I'm going to anyway.

Though under the assumption that health is a valid concept and something we should aspire to have, I think that people can still acknowledge that someone's overweight without resorting to using derogatory terms. I'd make some sort of analogy but I'd probably end up offending someone, I'm sure people on this forum are capable of making analogies for themselves anyway.

In general people have expressed in some way or another that I have somewhat unconventional views, both online and offline but I don't know. I don't really see it as being relevant to both my well-being or the validity of the views themselves.

EMZ.
Original post by Emor
I don't really want to enter a debate on the general validity of the notion of, 'health', and perhaps it's not correct of me to disagree without giving my reasoning but regardless I'm going to anyway.

Though under the assumption that health is a valid concept and something we should aspire to have, I think that people can still acknowledge that someone's overweight without resorting to using derogatory terms. I'd make some sort of analogy but I'd probably end up offending someone, I'm sure people on this forum are capable of making analogies for themselves anyway.

In general people have expressed in some way or another that I have somewhat unconventional views, both online and offline but I don't know. I don't really see it as being relevant to both my well-being or the validity of the views themselves.

EMZ.

Calling somebody a bloated whale is derogatory, but the word fat simply means somebody is overweight.

Thus - being called overweight might well cause somebody to be a bit offended, but if it's the truth, then it's the truth, there's not much you can do about it. A doctor wouldn't mince his words if he weighed somebody, he'd clearly tell them they need to lose weight!

You're not doing a morbidly obese person any favours if you pretend that they're not fat, because they could die young of a heart attack! The problem clearly needs addressing in this case.

I've dealt a lot with weight issues over the years - both my husbands, and on a minor scale my own. Believe me, when I was 14 stone, if somebody had tried to pretend that I wasn't fat it wouldn't have done me any favours. I agree there's a tactful way of doing it, and a downright rude way of doing it, but at the end of the day telling somebody they need to lose a few pounds, if you are genuinely concerned about them (and it isn't just for shallow purposes), is sometimes necessary.
Reply 36
Put your finger underneath your belly. If you cant see it then you are fat.
Original post by sexbo
Put your finger underneath your belly. If you cant see it then you are fat.

I'm normal BMI, wear size 10 clothes, but I can't see my finger if I put it underneath my belly.
Has the universe just imploded on you yet?
Reply 38
Calling somebody a bloated whale is derogatory, but the word fat simply means somebody is overweight.

Thus - being called overweight might well cause somebody to be a bit offended, but if it's the truth, then it's the truth, there's not much you can do about it. A doctor wouldn't mince his words if he weighed somebody, he'd clearly tell them they need to lose weight!

You're not doing a morbidly obese person any favours if you pretend that they're not fat, because they could die young of a heart attack! The problem clearly needs addressing in this case.

I've dealt a lot with weight issues over the years - both my husbands, and on a minor scale my own. Believe me, when I was 14 stone, if somebody had tried to pretend that I wasn't fat it wouldn't have done me any favours. I agree there's a tactful way of doing it, and a downright rude way of doing it, but at the end of the day telling somebody they need to lose a few pounds, if you are genuinely concerned about them (and it isn't just for shallow purposes), is sometimes necessary.

Ultimately it boils down semantics(it wasn't the initial point I was making but regardless this seems to be the direction the matter's taken), personally I feel that fat is a derogatory term and there's better ways to describe a person's weight other than, 'fat', and to a lesser-degree(IMHO), 'skinny', i.e, 'overweight' and, 'underweight'.

Maybe your experiences of the usage of the term, 'fat' differ to mine, or maybe it's simply your interpretation. Generally when I hear someone use the term fat it's used as an attack against a person's character(rather than as an expression of legitimate concern for their well-being and health), and quite frequently against people who aren't even over-weight.

Ultimately, I can't imagine anyone telling a relative or loved one in a frank tone, 'You're fat and it's a problem'; as you say that isn't tactful at all.

I don't feel that the way in which the term, 'fat' is used today serves any positive contribution and isn't ever necessary when there are less derogatory inclined terms; and by extension I don't feel there needs to be a definition of what, 'fat' is.

In terms of health the general consensus(please excuse trivial exceptions regarding body builders etc.) that a BMI over 25 is a rough indicator that you're over the, 'healthy' range. And if that definition doesn't suffice and, 'being fat' is different to being with-in the healthy range you can only assume that the person is concerned as to what's attractive, IMHO, which is a flawed way to think IMO.

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

This really wasn't what I was getting at in my initial post, but yeah.

EMZ.
Original post by Emor
Ultimately it boils down semantics(it wasn't the initial point I was making but regardless this seems to be the direction the matter's taken), personally I feel that fat is a derogatory term and there's better ways to describe a person's weight other than, 'fat', and to a lesser-degree(IMHO), 'skinny', i.e, 'overweight' and, 'underweight'.

Maybe your experiences of the usage of the term, 'fat' differ to mine, or maybe it's simply your interpretation. Generally when I hear someone use the term fat it's used as an attack against a person's character(rather than as an expression of legitimate concern for their well-being and health), and quite frequently against people who aren't even over-weight.

Ultimately, I can't imagine anyone telling a relative or loved one in a frank tone, 'You're fat and it's a problem'; as you say that isn't tactful at all.

I don't feel that the way in which the term, 'fat' is used today serves any positive contribution and isn't ever necessary when there are less derogatory inclined terms; and by extension I don't feel there needs to be a definition of what, 'fat' is.

In terms of health the general consensus(please excuse trivial exceptions regarding body builders etc.) that a BMI over 25 is a rough indicator that you're over the, 'healthy' range. And if that definition doesn't suffice and, 'being fat' is different to being with-in the healthy range you can only assume that the person is concerned as to what's attractive, IMHO, which is a flawed way to think IMO.

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

This really wasn't what I was getting at in my initial post, but yeah.

EMZ.

I reckon that by assuming that everybody who uses the word "fat" does it in a more derogatory way than using the words "overweight" or "obese", you are stereotyping the users of the words in the very way that you wish to avoid stereotyping the people towards whom the words are being directed.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now. Goodnight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending