The Student Room Group

What is the difference in meiosis between plant and animal cells

E.g. I know there is no centriole in plant cells

I also know spindle fibre in animal cells is formed from the centrioles..so what about the spindle fibre in plant cells?

+rep
Original post by arvin_infinity
E.g. I know there is no centriole in plant cells

I also know spindle fibre in animal cells is formed from the centrioles..so what about the spindle fibre in plant cells?

+rep

The centromere forms the spindle fibres instead.
Original post by The Illuminati
The centromere forms the spindle fibres instead.

Stupid rep doesn;t allow me to +rep you..will do later
Oh for real?
thats not in the textbook tho is it? I mean you only know it through research
Is this for a-level? If so, you won't need to know much about the differences. One relevant difference is that the 2 plant cells don't just 'bud off' in cytokinesis like they do in animal cells, due to the cell wall. In plant cells, membranous vesicles form a plane at the equator between the 2 cells, and the vesicles contain the components of a cell wall, whilst the membrane the vesicles themselves are made of start to form the new plasma membranes along the cell wall. The early form of cell wall here is called a 'cell plate'.
Original post by arvin_infinity
Stupid rep doesn;t allow me to +rep you..will do later
Oh for real?
thats not in the textbook tho is it? I mean you only know it through research

You might have repped me recently coz you can only rep the same person again after repping 40 other people but it's cool I shall wait :tongue:

I only know it because I asked my teacher the same question last year when we were doing mitosis but the same reason applies for meiosis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending