The Student Room Group

Exeter or Sussex?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Flori
yeah i got offers from both :smile: but it is actually annoying because i cant decide haha
i think im leaning towards sussex because i would be doing law with international relations there but if it wasnt for the course i would be for exeter. But yeah i change my mind about that a lot..

Have you been to visit both places?? Could you tell me what you thought of the areas? I know exeter is supposed to be beautiful but is it boring?

I've visited both of them and I really think you should try to see at least one before making your decision, because I know that some people don't take to Sussex (though I have to say I did). Exeter is just stunning, it's in a really green area and stuff and there are so many students there. I couldn't tell you whether it is boring but my instinct is that it kind of is... Though I'm sure current students would say there's plenty to do. The city's nice but it's small-ish and (YAY) it's near a beach, apaz about 10 minutes. Sussex on the other hand is a lso a green campus but it's not so incred as the Exexter one. The campus is quite nice, clean etc. But the real attraction is Brighton which is just awesome and certainly wouldn't be boring. Sorry for he ramblinnng!
Reply 61
Original post by pellejema
I've visited both of them and I really think you should try to see at least one before making your decision, because I know that some people don't take to Sussex (though I have to say I did). Exeter is just stunning, it's in a really green area and stuff and there are so many students there. I couldn't tell you whether it is boring but my instinct is that it kind of is... Though I'm sure current students would say there's plenty to do. The city's nice but it's small-ish and (YAY) it's near a beach, apaz about 10 minutes. Sussex on the other hand is a lso a green campus but it's not so incred as the Exexter one. The campus is quite nice, clean etc. But the real attraction is Brighton which is just awesome and certainly wouldn't be boring. Sorry for he ramblinnng!

PLEEAAASSEE GO TO SUSSEX.

Good academics + social life = win win :smile:
Reply 62

haha rambing is good :smile: the thing is im not even in the country at the moment so have no chance of visiting beforehand, but thanks a lot its already helped a lot! Have you decided yet??
Reply 63
Original post by Flori
haha rambing is good :smile: the thing is im not even in the country at the moment so have no chance of visiting beforehand, but thanks a lot its already helped a lot! Have you decided yet??

Ahhh where in the world are you? Are you an EU applicant? i haven't :frown: have you??
Reply 64
Ahhh where in the world are you? Are you an EU applicant? i haven't :frown: have you??

Im in Australia :smile: graduated here last year but hopefully will become a home student. And no.. cannot decide, it is starting to annoy me a lot actually!!

Do you know anything about the exeter being in the russel group? Do you think it makes a difference?
Reply 65
Original post by swbp
PLEEAAASSEE GO TO SUSSEX.

Good academics + social life = win win :smile:

I know i know i know... head says Exeter, heart says Sussex. Blahhhh
Reply 66
Original post by Flori
Im in Australia :smile: graduated here last year but hopefully will become a home student. And no.. cannot decide, it is starting to annoy me a lot actually!!

Do you know anything about the exeter being in the russel group? Do you think it makes a difference?

Ohhh i see. It's annoying me too :frown: Yeah I've heard about it, they sent me an email telling me about it. I guess it could boost job prospects because the Russell Group has good links to business? It also makes it look a bit more prestigious? I'm not sure. It's not worth going somewhere RG if you're not going to be happy there though?
Reply 67

One piece of advice I can offer is to make a chart - list all of your priorities, e.g. social life, location and see which fits the bill :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by swbp
One piece of advice I can offer is to make a chart - list all of your priorities, e.g. social life, location and see which fits the bill :smile:

Ahh that's a good point, thanks for the advice! :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by Flori

Usually being in the Russell Group would make a difference - the members have a great reputation with employers and thus going to one of them usually helps students when finding a job.

However, Exeter are only joining this year, and as employers zone in on established members (e.g. Nottingham, Bristol, Southampton) being in the Russell Group wont really benefit Exeter students for a few years. Also, RG universities usually ace the others in rankings, however Sussex and Exeter are side by side in most league tables, for example:

Guardian 2012 - Exeter 11th, Sussex also 11th
Complete University Guide 2012 - Exeter 15th, Sussex 19th
Time Good University Guide 2012 - Exeter 10th, Sussex 14th
Reply 70

saaaaaammmeeee for me too!! :smile:
Reply 71
If you come to Sussex you can be sure of having at least one friend who enjoys blasting out S Club 7 when alone (HI)
It's pretty much the same with me between Sussex and Nottingham. A massive factor for me is the much much larger gay scene in Brighton (obviously!).

The only thing about Sussex was the campus being so out of the way from anywhere, and with people living mostly in Brighton in 2nd/3rd years, rent is fairly expensive...

I loved Sussex when I first went to see it, but then reactions from people around me didn't seem to good, and I started doubting it. The first thing people seem to say about Sussex is the nightlife, not the academics, which may not be the impression I want to give off to future employers.

My worries are probably unsubstantiated though, I love that all the accom is self-catered, and the general vibe really appealed to me! At the same time, Nottingham gave me all of that too so bleuuugh. I totally understand you changing your mind every 5 minutes, me too :rolleyes:
Reply 73
Original post by MakesMeWonder
It's pretty much the same with me between Sussex and Nottingham. A massive factor for me is the much much larger gay scene in Brighton (obviously!).

The only thing about Sussex was the campus being so out of the way from anywhere, and with people living mostly in Brighton in 2nd/3rd years, rent is fairly expensive...

I loved Sussex when I first went to see it, but then reactions from people around me didn't seem to good, and I started doubting it. The first thing people seem to say about Sussex is the nightlife, not the academics, which may not be the impression I want to give off to future employers.

My worries are probably unsubstantiated though, I love that all the accom is self-catered, and the general vibe really appealed to me! At the same time, Nottingham gave me all of that too so bleuuugh. I totally understand you changing your mind every 5 minutes, me too :rolleyes:

Yeah it's so so annoying :frown: still have about a month to decide but I'd just like to pick one and be done with it! I totally know what you mean about liking Sussex, but not feeling like everyone else was as impressed as you. That's why I started to doubt it as well.

What course did you apply for at Sussex?
Reply 74
Can I just say, yes Sussex's prestige is subtle, but wouldn'T you rather that than the hooray henry's who are like "I GO TO OXBRIDGE, I'M SOME SORT OF GOD".
What course did you apply for at Sussex?

English too xD

I was reassured by the subject league tables though, very surprised that Sussex was above places like York, Bristol etc, and waay above Nottingham. Not sure quite what they did to earn 28th...
Reply 76
Original post by MakesMeWonder
English too xD

I was reassured by the subject league tables though, very surprised that Sussex was above places like York, Bristol etc, and waay above Nottingham. Not sure quite what they did to earn 28th...

Yeah, in the Guardian it's 8th! Crazy. Did you go to one of the offer holder open days?
Did you go to one of the offer holder open days?

Went to a general open day aages ago, but it was back when I thought I was going to do Psychology, so I went to all the wrong talks xD

But yup, going back in about a week for the offer holder's day thingy, to hopefully see the -english- dept.
Do not go to Exeter unless you enjoy seclusion from the rest of civilisation, snobby, uptight students and generally being bored out of your mind. I went there last year and subsequently dropped out - that's how much I hated it :frown: Don't get me wrong the campus is absolutely breathtaking and it has just joined the Russel Group but that's all it has going for it. I turned down Sussex and regret it as friends now go there and love it!
Reply 79
Original post by beansprouts
Do not go to Exeter unless you enjoy seclusion from the rest of civilisation, snobby, uptight students and generally being bored out of your mind. I went there last year and subsequently dropped out - that's how much I hated it :frown: Don't get me wrong the campus is absolutely breathtaking and it has just joined the Russel Group but that's all it has going for it. I turned down Sussex and regret it as friends now go there and love it!

This is pretty much the same story as my friend who went to Exeter to do History - She did one term and dropped out. Being from a state school backgrund she claimed she felt undermined by most of the other students who had attended private school, and she added that as a student town, Exeter really doesn't have alot going on.

Quick Reply

Latest