The Student Room Group

How much money did you spend on your first car?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Hakz*
£300 for a year? :eek:

Yeah, £334 for a year, third party which is all I need for a W reg lol :smile: It's a multi car policy though, my dad, my mum and me.

But the policy is in my name so I get the no claims.

Putting my mum on as a named driver got it down by about £60!
Original post by axhdn
Any car at this age is a stepping stone. Id avoid spending under £1000. I'm on my fourth car, (I'm 22), but my fourth, a 51 plate ford focus has been a faultless runner so far (over a year). It costs me £1750 with 50,000 miles on the clock, and air conditioning and alloys, amongst other extras.
Dont forget that its almost guaranteed that you'll damage your car in some way. I know lots of people with 06-09 plate cars who have damaged them and significantly reduced their value.
If you want to spend that much, be prepared for it to be a poor investment and ultimately for you to lose a substantial amount of the money you paid for it.

Very true :smile:

I got my car three years ago it was 1250 with 50,000 on the clock. And is a W Reg. I think that was quite good value. I want a new car now, but what I can afford realistically considering insurance etc is only up to 03-04 plate so I might as well wait another year until I finish uni and hopefully have a job, then I can hopefully get around an 07 car!

My sister wants an 08 car :/ She will be absolutely gutted if she damages such a new car! She says she won't but even I have hit a curb and dented my wheel :P Although it doesn't really matter but if I had an 08 car I'd cry!
I paid £1200 for a ford ka. Was a good little car and would have kept going for ages however being new at driving, it had quite a few dents and scratches. I'd go for something cheap and continue to save for now, then in a year or so when you're a lot more experienced (and insurance will have gone down) buy something a bit nicer.
Reply 23
Original post by BabyGirl92
Yeah, £334 for a year, third party which is all I need for a W reg lol :smile: It's a multi car policy though, my dad, my mum and me.

But the policy is in my name so I get the no claims.

Putting my mum on as a named driver got it down by about £60!

Does this mean you, your mum and dad are registered drivers on the car?

And what make and year is the car?
Reply 24
Original post by Jstreeton
£1750 for a 1.2 Corsa Life, 10 years old. Forced into buying from a 'proper' place by the mum because of her bad experiences.

Worked my arse off for 2 years for it, and then had to slump up another 1200 for insurance.

I kind of regret it now, really don't NEED a car.

That much? I have an 05 corsa 1.8 SRi and that set me back £2000 :cool:
I spent £4750 on a 2006 reg new model clio. I think sometimes it can be worth spending that bit more, as it should cost less in maintenance as things should be less likely to go wrong.
Saying that, i spend £150 a year on tax, £60 on mot, and about £200 a year on services. I'd seriously consider getting a car with a low tax banding!
My insurance for the first year was probably about £550, however only 2 years on its down to £260, fully comp!
Original post by *Hakz*
Does this mean you, your mum and dad are registered drivers on the car?

And what make and year is the car?

Multi car normally means there is more than one car insured with the same company, and they do some sort of deal to make it cheaper.
Reply 27
£4495 on a 09 reg Citroen C1
insurance - £1050!
Original post by PurpleConverse
Just asking as i'm curious, as i'm buying my first car soon...

I don't wanna overspend, but I want to be to an extent proud of my first car..

How much is too much? (I'm saving atm for it) The car I want second hand is £3000 - £4000, is that too much? (second hand 2005/2006 car)

So yeah.. what car did you get and how much did you spend on it?

0 pence.

Hope this answers your question.
£4800 on a 1.4 Grande Punto through a big dealer.
Reply 30
I spent £2200 for a new model nissan micra baby blue regestration 55 and only done 20,000 mile
Reply 31
Original post by Unsworth
£4495 on a 09 reg Citroen C1
insurance - £1050!

wow
first car was a 97 polo, cost me 800
second and current car is a 1.2 corsa, 53 plate, 1650

:biggrin:
Reply 33
£1200 for a 51 plate 106 Quiksilver, 50000 miles. That was 2 years ago. Probably spent about £800 on it since, head gasket, cv joint etc etc.
Original post by Foo.mp3
I didn't.. I nicked it

We could have guessed from your football badge.
Reply 35
£950. Corsa 1.2L

Insurance was about £2k.
Reply 36
Original post by Gothica
That much? I have an 05 corsa 1.8 SRi and that set me back £2000 :cool:

What was the insurance like on that.
2.5k but I was 23
My first car was £3000- my parents bought it for me as a surprise present. However I saved up £1500 for driving lessons and to be insured on my mums car, so it wasn't like I was expecting anything. My dad paid for a years insurance when he bought the car, and I'm paying him back (it's £700 and I've paid £500 so far). I think £3000 is a reasonable amount- the jump in quality from 2-3k is really noticeable when looking at cars and it's worth getting something reliable.
I spent £1700 on my first car.

Quick Reply

Latest