The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

So in addition to the Hunger Games, seen The Vow, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, John Carter and 21 Jump Street. I enjoyed The Vow but I think it might be in the same guilty pleasure way as a straight male might enjoy The Notebook. Ghost Rider was just awful and a serious misuse of Elba's talent. John Carter was your average science fiction film touching upon nearly every cliche possible. 21 Jump Street was actually pretty good. It managed to neatly side-step all of the typical clichés you would expect from a comedy, cop or high school film whilst poking fun at the clichés in the genre.

I think Rachel McAdams needs to really move into other genres/types of film. Her filmography seems to largely consist of the typical romantic films: The Notebook, The Vow, The Time Traveller's Wife, The Wedding Crashers and Midnight in Paris. Granted she suits those films but I think her talent is a little wasted in these films. Would like to see some more projects outside the genre like Mean Girls, Sherlock Holmes and The Lucky Ones.

Oh, and it seems Channing Tatum has been pretty busy this year. Seeing him pop up a lot recently. Think I've seen him in 3 cinema releases this year alone and we've just reached April.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's been ages since I last posted in this thread, let alone the Film Section, so hello all :smile:

Anybody else heard about this Iron Sky film or something? It's about Nazis on the moon invading earth...

Spoiler

Also I thought that the charater depth was limited and no where near enough to invoke the right amount of sympathy from the audience which is ridiculous since the film was over 2 hours long.

I loved The Hunger Games. I haven't read the books or anything yet but I cried when some characters got killed and I definitely fell in love with Peeta. But then that's just Josh Hutcherson working his sexy magic.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I think Rachel McAdams needs to really move into other genres/types of film. Her filmography seems to largely consist of the typical romantic films: The Notebook, The Vow, The Time Traveller's Wife, The Wedding Crashers and Midnight in Paris. Granted she suits those films but I think her talent is a little wasted in these films. Would like to see some more projects outside the genre like Mean Girls, Sherlock Holmes and The Lucky Ones.

Have you seen Red Eye? She's pretty good in it, and so is Cillian Murphy.
Original post by mevidek

Spoiler

It's a Finnish film. :erm:
Reply 5925
How many of you have seen Manhunter and what did you think of it? Most of my friends never believe me when I say that this is the first film that Hannibal Lecter appears in :lol:

It's a pretty good film, and Brian Cox as Hannibal is decent.
Skyfall comes out on my 21st birthday :h:
Quite reminiscent of The Fifth Element.

Original post by Jace Falco
Have you seen Red Eye? She's pretty good in it, and so is Cillian Murphy.

Yeah, forgot to include that.
Aaron Sorkin is back. On TV.

Original post by Colonel.

I read about that a while back. When does it start?
Original post by Jace Falco
I read about that a while back. When does it start?

June 24. Has Jeff Daniels, Olivia Munn and Dev Patel. Looks fantastic so far.
Reply 5931
Really enjoyed The Hunger Games, but I can't go over the top about it just because I've seen Battle Royale and it's far superior in my opinion. I'm definitely going to read the books though as I feel like a lot of explanatory material was left out.
Original post by Colonel.

I got very excited watching that.
Reply 5933
Omfg, Street Dance 2 (in 3D) is the biggest movie of 2012! :banana:

Anyway, I thought Shame was fantastic in parts, but overall not quite as good as I'd hoped (my expectations were very high, though) and not as good as Hunger. Both Fassbender and Mulligan do well in roles I thought were departures from their repertoire so far, though. Very much looking forward to 12 Years a Slave too.

Also went and watched Martha Marcy May Marlene today, quite enjoyed it. It could have been better, and perhaps more believable if a little better written, but I would say that it has a good driving concept and is extremely well executed (particularly in terms of cinematography and art direction, and the editing with regard to the continuity too). Didn't really see the reason behind the fuss over Olsen, but John Hawkes just fills up the screen every time he comes on; on which note I'm really looking forward to seeing The Surrogate some time this year.

Also, hoping to catch This Must Be The Place as soon as it comes out; anyone else planning to go and see that?

EDIT: Oh, also picked up second-hand copies of DVDs of Se7en and The Unbearable Lightness of Being today; haven't watched the latter before, so quite looking forward to that. I wonder if I should first make an attempt to find and read the book, though. :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft
Omfg, Street Dance 2 (in 3D) is the biggest movie of 2012! :banana:

Anyway, I thought Shame was fantastic in parts, but overall not quite as good as I'd hoped (my expectations were very high, though) and not as good as Hunger. Both Fassbender and Mulligan do well in roles I thought were departures from their repertoire so far, though. Very much looking forward to 12 Years a Slave too.

Also went and watched Martha Marcy May Marlene today, quite enjoyed it. It could have been better, and perhaps more believable if a little better written, but I would say that it has a good driving concept and is extremely well executed (particularly in terms of cinematography and art direction, and the editing with regard to the continuity too). Didn't really see the reason behind the fuss over Olsen, but John Hawkes just fills up the screen every time he comes on; on which note I'm really looking forward to seeing The Surrogate some time this year.

Also, hoping to catch This Must Be The Place as soon as it comes out; anyone else planning to go and see that?

EDIT: Oh, also picked up second-hand copies of DVDs of Se7en and The Unbearable Lightness of Being today; haven't watched the latter before, so quite looking forward to that. I wonder if I should first make an attempt to find and read the book, though. :holmes:

Book first, it's absolutely fantastic.
Original post by Phalanges
It's a Finnish film. :erm:

I mean the film industry in general :tongue:
Nazis on the moon is a fairly original idea, is it not?
My thoughts exactly.
I may be getting confused here but I'm pretty sure someone posted a Game of Thrones link in here a while ago, showing all the crests of the different houses; I thought it was pretty cool at the time but hadn't watched/seen any GoT and I'd quite like to see it again if anyone remembers what the link was?
Original post by JessicaW
I may be getting confused here but I'm pretty sure someone posted a Game of Thrones link in here a while ago, showing all the crests of the different houses; I thought it was pretty cool at the time but hadn't watched/seen any GoT and I'd quite like to see it again if anyone remembers what the link was?

I posted a cartoony one a while ago.

http://www.reuno.net/project-game-of-thrones

Quick Reply

Latest