The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Reply 3041
Calm that down, sentiment. I MEAN it. When I was back with my family at first I was scared; I did excessive exercise to compensate, even WITH my severe osteoperosis, and I ended up splintering my ankle. I have broken more bones in the past year than I have in the rest of my life, combined. In the end I changed how I viewed family time, channelling it positively; I'd just say my family time was "ED Holiday" time and just do, eat what I wanted.
Reply 3042
Original post by sentiment

Spoiler

But Sentiment, what matters more, really? The time with your family and friends, the chance to catch up and let yourself reconnect with the things that really matter in life? Or eating "normally"? You're smart, you can tell yourself by the fact you've placed this very point in inverted commas that you honestly know this isn't treating yourself well, and somewhere deep down you want to change this. Well you still can if you listen to your heart rather than that little Grima Wormtongue ED bobbing round our heads a lot.
It sounds like you've been given the chance for your mind to heal, and by doing that you'll help the body to heal itself. Seize the opportunity, make the most of this company, really get to know them and yourself again.
[As a compromise, could you maybe do a light walk together as a family? I'm stressing light, relaxing activity with more focus on the chance for constructive bonding and relationship-building, which I think we could all do with a bit more of-especially you in your current condition.
]
:hugs:
________________--

Having another cup of tea moment. Mum always always does it with milk, and can't stop asking. I think if I do drink it, I'll have calcium excreted and I probably don't have enough of it as it is (really worried about my bones being weak etc.), but if I keep saying no, I think (no joke) Mum's going to think less of me as her son, I'm being excluded from one of the fundamental concepts of the family unit, and somewhere down the line I'll be removed from the family, or at the very least ostracised. Basically, she drinks loads, her bf drinks loads, Grandma and Grandad drink loads, my brother drinks loads, it follows I ought to drink loads or I'm not one of them...or maybe not. But it feels like that.
FFS this is a cup of tea, and it's gone from asking whether I'm thirsty to questioning the safety and integrity of my position as a family member. Why? It's as if she's consistently asking me to test if I'm really one of them.
In the same way I'm worried about the tea causing depletion of iron causing loss of testosterone and God knows that's low in me without lifting anywho from being so on edge, thereby causing mroe panicky thoughts like this and a hideous cycle.
Apart from this pretty heavy and continuous hiccup that I really need to sort pronto before it drives me back to somethin more serious, my relationship with food, weight and self keeps getting better :smile:
edit: I spoke to her, I needed to. She'd love me no matter what, if these fears stayed with me all my life. And that was what mattered really. That's what this was all about, if they'd love me whoever and whatever I am.
Silly question. Makes you think.
(edited 12 years ago)
How do you fix bad relationships with food? I literally opened up a tub of muller light, thought about
Original post by sentiment

Spoiler

Likewise.

I got home at one and just cannot stop eating all this **** that's kicking about.

Spoiler

Interesting read, thanks. Some very encouraging points in there; particularly this one: "the good news is at 10 year follow-up, between 70-80% of people with the disorders no longer have symptoms." Going to subscribe to her blog I think :smile:
Reply 3046
I've been invited to a bbq on Tuesday and I'm debating whether to go or not.
Pros - it's at the house of the guy my friend is having a thing with and she wants my support, I need a social life
Cons - they will make me eat, the guy has a dog (I have a horrible horrible phobia, although he's said it will stay upstairs, not sure how much I can trust this though), it's going to rain, I need to revise for my AS exams and orals
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. At the thought of going I feel panicky but I feel like I should go because my mum tells me off for not having a life (amongst other things) and my friend wants me to go.
:s-smilie:
*explodes*
Original post by Riku
But Sentiment, what matters more, really? The time with your family and friends, the chance to catch up and let yourself reconnect with the things that really matter in life? Or eating "normally"? You're smart, you can tell yourself by the fact you've placed this very point in inverted commas that you honestly know this isn't treating yourself well, and somewhere deep down you want to change this. Well you still can if you listen to your heart rather than that little Grima Wormtongue ED bobbing round our heads a lot.
It sounds like you've been given the chance for your mind to heal, and by doing that you'll help the body to heal itself. Seize the opportunity, make the most of this company, really get to know them and yourself again.
[As a compromise, could you maybe do a light walk together as a family? I'm stressing light, relaxing activity with more focus on the chance for constructive bonding and relationship-building, which I think we could all do with a bit more of-especially you in your current condition.
]
:hugs:
________________--

Having another cup of tea moment. Mum always always does it with milk, and can't stop asking. I think if I do drink it, I'll have calcium excreted and I probably don't have enough of it as it is (really worried about my bones being weak etc.), but if I keep saying no, I think (no joke) Mum's going to think less of me as her son, I'm being excluded from one of the fundamental concepts of the family unit, and somewhere down the line I'll be removed from the family, or at the very least ostracised. Basically, she drinks loads, her bf drinks loads, Grandma and Grandad drink loads, my brother drinks loads, it follows I ought to drink loads or I'm not one of them...or maybe not. But it feels like that.
FFS this is a cup of tea, and it's gone from asking whether I'm thirsty to questioning the safety and integrity of my position as a family member. Why? It's as if she's consistently asking me to test if I'm really one of them.
In the same way I'm worried about the tea causing depletion of iron causing loss of testosterone and God knows that's low in me without lifting anywho from being so on edge, thereby causing mroe panicky thoughts like this and a hideous cycle.
Apart from this pretty heavy and continuous hiccup that I really need to sort pronto before it drives me back to somethin more serious, my relationship with food, weight and self keeps getting better :smile:
edit: I spoke to her, I needed to. She'd love me no matter what, if these fears stayed with me all my life. And that was what mattered really. That's what this was all about, if they'd love me whoever and whatever I am.
Silly question. Makes you think.

Hallo!

Posting will be short as my laptop has made the grand bon voyage and this is from the phone, but if you aren't drinking tea from fear of iron depletion dunnae worry. Add milk. The tannims bind to +2 ions. Non-haem iron is at risk as is calcium. What to do? Milk in tea will bind to the tannins before drinking. The tannins can also only bind to ions that haven't been absorbed yet, so simply avoid drinking it around meals. It can't LEACH calcium from you as the molecule is too large. If you just plain don't like tea, just don't worry about drinking it. Unless she is part of the cult of earl gray I doubt she is judging.
Original post by Etoile
I've been invited to a bbq on Tuesday and I'm debating whether to go or not.
Pros - it's at the house of the guy my friend is having a thing with and she wants my support, I need a social life
Cons - they will make me eat, the guy has a dog (I have a horrible horrible phobia, although he's said it will stay upstairs, not sure how much I can trust this though), it's going to rain, I need to revise for my AS exams and orals
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. At the thought of going I feel panicky but I feel like I should go because my mum tells me off for not having a life (amongst other things) and my friend wants me to go.
:s-smilie:
*explodes*

You, madam, will get an A in your oral exam stood on your head, if miss has to give you A2 grammar to stop you taking your eyeballs out in lesson, because you're that bored.
Does this guy know you're terrorfied of his/all dogs, if yes, then it will stay upstairs, unless he's an absolute eejit. Your friend needs you as a winglady by the sounds of it, going will get mummy off your back about having no social life, and one burger won't kill you.
I'll seriously swap if you like, you can deal with sir taking all of my german class for dinner when we're in over easter. Sounds lovely, and yes, it is a lovely gesture. BUT THE PLACE HE WANTS TO TAKE US IS REALLY EXPENSIVE - from what I've heard. The portions will be massive knowing my luck. I won't be able to finish it all, then he'll have a go because I've not finished it - as he did when we were in Berlin in the summer. And this time he's got a right to have a go, because its not me paying for it. And if I don't have anything foodwise because of this, mummy WILL get told, and I wont be told this is happening - he's emailed my parents before about stuff behind my back. Sorry, but my predicted grade not being what it needed to be was MY problem, not theirs. If only he knew what was going on in our heads and he wouldn't have offered to do this; i'm like this and the girl who sits next to me possibly has social anxiety, and HATES HATES HATES eating in public.
Reply 3049
Original post by .snowflake.
You, madam, will get an A in your oral exam stood on your head, if miss has to give you A2 grammar to stop you taking your eyeballs out in lesson, because you're that bored.
Does this guy know you're terrorfied of his/all dogs, if yes, then it will stay upstairs, unless he's an absolute eejit. Your friend needs you as a winglady by the sounds of it, going will get mummy off your back about having no social life, and one burger won't kill you.
I'll seriously swap if you like, you can deal with sir taking all of my german class for dinner when we're in over easter. Sounds lovely, and yes, it is a lovely gesture. BUT THE PLACE HE WANTS TO TAKE US IS REALLY EXPENSIVE - from what I've heard. The portions will be massive knowing my luck. I won't be able to finish it all, then he'll have a go because I've not finished it - as he did when we were in Berlin in the summer. And this time he's got a right to have a go, because its not me paying for it. And if I don't have anything foodwise because of this, mummy WILL get told, and I wont be told this is happening - he's emailed my parents before about stuff behind my back. Sorry, but my predicted grade not being what it needed to be was MY problem, not theirs. If only he knew what was going on in our heads and he wouldn't have offered to do this; i'm like this and the girl who sits next to me possibly has social anxiety, and HATES HATES HATES eating in public.

Thank you :smile: I'm just worried that she'll ask me a spontaneous question and I won't be able to think of anything/she'll ask my opinion on something I don't have an opinion on and I'll just be there like "...." Once I told the French assistant that if I was rich I would buy a zoo because I loved animals as a child (massive lie, have always had animal anxieties) because I couldn't think of anything else :lol:
I've told him but he's not the most reliable of people and most people don't really take my phobia seriously :s-smilie: Am glad about the mum part, but the burger part is going to be hard to get through my brain >.<
Haha I would gladly! Apart from the whole eating part, a meal out with my German class would be beyond epic. Your teacher is paying? :redface: he must be so rich! I'm sure there's something you could do if necessary though.
:console: :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Etoile
Thank you :smile: I'm just worried that she'll ask me a spontaneous question and I won't be able to think of anything/she'll ask my opinion on something I don't have an opinion on and I'll just be there like "...." Once I told the French assistant that if I was rich I would buy a zoo because I loved animals as a child (massive lie, have always had animal anxieties) because I couldn't think of anything else :lol:
I've told him but he's not the most reliable of people and most people don't really take my phobia seriously :s-smilie: Am glad about the mum part, but the burger part is going to be hard to get through a brain that considers 400 cals a day a massive binge worthy of self harm >.<
Haha I would gladly! Apart from the whole eating part, a meal out with my German class would be beyond epic. Your teacher is paying? :redface: he must be so rich! You could always try to order a) a starter as a main meal b) a children's portion c) something to share with someone else OR you could put some of it in a napkin and dispose of it when you go to the loo? You could even co-conspire with the other girl to see if she has an escape idea :tongue:
:console: :hugs:

There's only four of us in our german class. We have sorta conspired a way of getting out of it, well, got as far as, we can sit together, looking fine on the outside, being actually terrorfied. If she can get through this, I can as well. But its more likely I'll order something, see that the portion is, in my eyes, actually massive. And end up having a panic attack in the loos.

I don't mind the other 3 girls in my class. They're lovely. Its just if I pick something and can't finish it, he'll comment on it, like he did in berlin and I can never tell if he's being serious/ just taking the mickey. Then I stop eating, like I did in berlin.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3051
There's only four of us in our german class. We have sorta conspired a way of getting out of it, well, got as far as, we can sit together, looking fine on the outside, being actually terrorfied. If she can get through this, I can as well.

Ahhh that makes more sense :lol: It's good that you've got each other's backs like that :smile:
Original post by Etoile
Ahhh that makes more sense :lol: It's good that you've got each other's backs like that :smile:

We're not one of these school where 15 of us take it to A2!!! Crickey, we could put A2 music, french and german together and not get 15 people!
Reply 3053
We're not one of these school where 15 of us take it to A2!!! Crickey, we could put A2 music, french and german together and not get 15 people!

I'm out of perspective because my college has 2000 people all doing A levels/BTEC so I forget that other people have really small classes :lol: That's a shame though, languages are awesome :ahee:
Original post by Etoile
hard to get through a brain that considers 400 cals a day a massive binge worthy of self harm >.<

Would like to point out that the brain itself needs 500 calories to function properly. :smile: little fact I found out whilst anorexic x
Original post by Etoile
I'm out of perspective because my college has 2000 people all doing A levels/BTEC so I forget that other people have really small classes :lol: That's a shame though, languages are awesome :ahee:

They are, but we've only get 72 in my year, so that sort of explains why some classes are so small. Then the other end of the spectrum we've got 22 taking chemistry, but in two classes.
Reply 3056
Original post by jazzykinks
Would like to point out that the brain itself needs 500 calories to function properly. :smile: little fact I found out whilst anorexic x

I think I read that somewhere too :frown:
I don't want my brain to shrink but I can't take any more than that, mostly (Trigger -sorry!) I average about 350 :cry:

They are, but we've only get 72 in my year, so that sort of explains why some classes are so small. Then the other end of the spectrum we've got 22 taking chemistry, but in two classes.

72 in your year :eek: Even at my secondary school there were 300 in my year :redface: That's good though, more attention from the teacher.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Etoile

72 in your year :eek: Even at my secondary school there were 300 in my year :redface: That's good though, more attention from the teacher.

Not necessarily! 4 of us in german. can't hide/ not participate when you're having a rubbish day. psst, numbers pet. trigger city for some of us.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3058
Not necessarily! 4 of us in german. can't hide/ not participate when you're having a rubbish day. psst, numbers pet. trigger city for some of us.

Hmm that too I guess. There are pros and cons to everything! :tongue:
Omg I'm so sorry I didn't even think! Coloured it in white now.
Original post by Etoile
Hmm that too I guess. There are pros and cons to everything! :tongue:
Omg I'm so sorry I didn't even think! Coloured it in white now.

it's okay!! I know you didnt mean it!

Quick Reply