The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why are you asking a question you already know the answer to?

edit - Of course it's worth it.
Reply 2
Any work experience is worth it :smile: once youre in, you can ask if you can watch the nurses perhaps, or even admin side you learn alot from. I did anyway, also its better than nothing. With hospitla work experience, it takes ALOT of perseverance. I applied to 20 hospitals, and eventually got two replies :') I'd fully recommend not giving up with hospital work experience, its totally worth it and really does help you decide if medicine is for you!
Good luck :smile: Also volunteering in a caring environment is good work experience
Reply 3
short answer: yes
long answer: yeah
Original post by spitss
Why are you asking a question you already know the answer to?

edit - Of course it's worth it.

How is it? :s-smilie:

It's admin work. You could work at Tesco and do admin work. Is that specifically useful for medicine?

I'm not saying that any work doesn't look good on a CV/medicine application. But just because it's at a GP doesn't make it suitable medical experience.
Reply 5
Original post by ritchie888
How is it? :s-smilie:

It's admin work. You could work at Tesco and do admin work. Is that specifically useful for medicine?

I'm not saying that any work doesn't look good on a CV/medicine application. But just because it's at a GP doesn't make it suitable medical experience.

Because you get first hand experience in a GP surgery, and you get to see how it works/what goes on.

I'm pretty sure you could work that out if you thought about it hard enough ;D
Original post by AishaTara
Any work experience is worth it :smile: once youre in, you can ask if you can watch the nurses perhaps, or even admin side you learn alot from. I did anyway, also its better than nothing. With hospitla work experience, it takes ALOT of perseverance. I applied to 20 hospitals, and eventually got two replies :') I'd fully recommend not giving up with hospital work experience, its totally worth it and really does help you decide if medicine is for you!
Good luck :smile: Also volunteering in a caring environment is good work experience

Hi, are you a current medical student? or still haven't applied yet?
Reply 7
Original post by Future_Dr
Hi, are you a current medical student? or still haven't applied yet?

in year 12 atm :smile:
Original post by lsaul95
Because you get first hand experience in a GP surgery, and you get to see how it works/what goes on.

I'm pretty sure you could work that out if you thought about it hard enough ;D

You honestly think they're going to give you important tasks where you learn the inner workings of a GP?

I volunteer at a hospital. Along with getting patients drinks and chat with them I do 'admin' work too. I.e. getting charts, bit of spreadsheets, sorting charts, getting paperwork from other departments.

Do I understand how hospitals work? Do I ****.
Original post by AishaTara
in year 12 atm :smile:

Oh right.. cool gl
i was thinking of applying for a work experience at my local GP... but im 15 ? would they either consider me or do i have to be 16 ???
Reply 11
Yeah I did exactly that..it's definitely worth it if you keep a diary about what you learnt. It's a great way to get access to some of the clinics too e.g. mother and baby clinic. Make sure you ask if there's anything you can join in on. I got to accompany the district nurse one day instead of sitting on reception - so yes, the potential opportunities are definitely worth bearing in mind!
Reply 12
Original post by techno836
i was thinking of applying for a work experience at my local GP... but im 15 ? would they either consider me or do i have to be 16 ???

It's rare they'll let you sit in consultations to be honest. You have to really beg to get work experience most of the time. I sat in the waiting room protesting for a whole day and eventually got a week on reception and admin.
Also, don't go to your local GP as there will be confidentiality issues i.e. if you see a family friend or neighbour.
Reply 13
Definitely worth it, it's not like you're turning down a week observing orthopaedic surgery to do it.
Yes it is worth it. I'm currently on a gap year working in a GP surgery (admin side). I can say for sure that I've learnt loads abut the NHS and how care is delivered.

I've helped with appraisals, extensively used EMIS PCS, gone to practice managers and GP partner meetings discussing how PCTs should fund for certain services around the local area, helped with QOF, done DES report for patient participation, summarised medical records, updated NHS choices, actioned FP69 forms, ... List goes on! But basically my knowledge of primary care organisation is if I may say so very detailed compared to before I started 7 months ago.

Although you wouldn't do all of these as you would only be doing work experience and not employed I can assure you seeing how NHS primary care is run is so useful. Even if it is just filing!
But realistically, what sort of questions should I have in mind when doing the WE? What things should I note down that would be adequate?
Original post by GdotL
It's rare they'll let you sit in consultations to be honest. You have to really beg to get work experience most of the time. I sat in the waiting room protesting for a whole day and eventually got a week on reception and admin.
Also, don't go to your local GP as there will be confidentiality issues i.e. if you see a family friend or neighbour.

i think i understand ..ish :L and trust me if i saw a family friend or neighbour owt i would duck and hide i think :L ...okay so im also for one of my year 11 side options will be doing Duke of edingburgh ... that has a 3 month volunteering section ... should i either choose to go to a nearby primary school or the work in the care home ??? ( i underdstand how the care home would generally be related more to medicine ,, but the primary school would show a variety :/ )...... any info / opinions /advice would be appriciated :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by ritchie888
You honestly think they're going to give you important tasks where you learn the inner workings of a GP?

I volunteer at a hospital. Along with getting patients drinks and chat with them I do 'admin' work too. I.e. getting charts, bit of spreadsheets, sorting charts, getting paperwork from other departments.

Do I understand how hospitals work? Do I ****.

I didn't say you'd get important tasks where you learn the inner working of a GP.
You simply misconstrued what I said.
If you're working at the reception in the GP, you will get to see how admissions work and you might pick up a few things that the other receptions do specifically. It's not hard to understand how it is beneficial and worth writing on your PS rather than not writing it. Not only that, it is work experience in a health related work place, so that is beneficial.

I work in a hospital too, and you're right, I haven't got a clue about the inner workings either. However I know a lot more than I did before I was working on a ward. You get to see how wards function, how important the nurses are, how much paperwork actually goes into the job at hand and it has familiarised myself with working in a health related work place.

I would imagine working in a GP surgery would give you a similar bit of experience, seeing how much work goes into one patient, etc. Even just observing other receptionists file things give you a bit of insight.

:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by techno836
i think i understand ..ish :L and trust me if i saw a family friend or neighbour owt i would duck and hide i think :L ...okay so im also for one of my year 11 side options will be doing Duke of edingburgh ... that has a 3 month volunteering section ... should i either choose to go to a nearby primary school or the work in the care home ??? ( i underdstand how the care home would generally be related more to medicine ,, but the primary school would show a variety :/ )...... any info / opinions /advice would be appriciated :biggrin:

Haha, you won't have a chance to 'duck and hide' if you're sitting shadowing a GP! Basically next time you go to your GP, ask them if they have any friends or recommendations for GP surgeries on the other side of your town/city where you won't be facing confidentiality problems.

Wow, you're in Year 10 or Year 11? Ok, don't do the work experience too early otherwise you will be a bit 'young' to fully benefit from it - certainly not before you've finished GCSEs!

I suggest care home! Make sure you continue with it even after the DofE is over though...it's great if you can show a long-term commitment on your personal statement, say doing two hours a week for two years! As opposed to two hours a week for a few months solely to get into Medicine which is a fairly average thing to do.
**** that ****. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending