The Student Room Group

AS-Level instead of A-level for Computer Science?

I currently take 3 Subject that is Economics, Geo and Computing, I was planning to take Maths AS level next year cause I'm considering in taking Computer Science. I know that maths is essential for taking it but is maths AS level helpful? or if not I'll just take the full A-level maths. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Or I have a choice to take AS level further maths! :smile:
Reply 2
Take Decision maths, if possible. You're not allowed to take A2 Maths without taking the AS first, but an AS including, in order of preference, `Core; Decision/Discrete; Pure; Statistics;` would be great preparation for a computer science degree.
Reply 3
I'm also looking to do a cs degree, and I've been told by a lot of people/places that A level maths is pretty much essential for quite a lot of courses - and especially that computer science is quite a mathematical subject I think that doing any type of maths will defiantly benefit you when your studying cs later on
Original post by Scarypoo
I currently take 3 Subject that is Economics, Geo and Computing, I was planning to take Maths AS level next year cause I'm considering in taking Computer Science. I know that maths is essential for taking it but is maths AS level helpful? or if not I'll just take the full A-level maths. :smile:

If you were applying to us at Oxford, Maths, to full A level (or equivalent) is essential. We also recommend Further Maths, if possible. As is mentioned above, Computer Science is a very mathematical subject. I suggest you have a look at the admissions pages for some of the universities you're interested in applying to, but you'll find most of the Russell Group Universities have similar requirements for Computer Science.
Reply 5
If you're going to do it next year I would actually do Stats over Decision. The Decision content is more relevant but D1 at least, is not a great module, and Stats is still very relevant.
You can take all of it next year, do 3 in January and 3 in June. People take 6 Maths modules a year all the time (for Further Maths) so it should be fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by tooosh
If you're going to do it next year I would actually do Stats over Decision. The Decision content is more relevant but D1 at least, is not a great module, and Stats is still very relevant.
You can take all of it next year, do 3 in January and 3 in June. People take 6 Maths modules a year all the time (for Further Maths) so it should be fine.

So like I saw some of the requirements were grade B at maths in GCSE and I only have GCE O-levels maths at Grade , would they still accept/consider me?
Reply 7
Original post by Scarypoo
So like I saw some of the requirements were grade B at maths in GCSE and I only have GCE O-levels maths at Grade , would they still accept/consider me?

Yes.
Reply 8
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
If you were applying to us at Oxford, Maths, to full A level (or equivalent) is essential. We also recommend Further Maths, if possible. As is mentioned above, Computer Science is a very mathematical subject. I suggest you have a look at the admissions pages for some of the universities you're interested in applying to, but you'll find most of the Russell Group Universities have similar requirements for Computer Science.

Is GCSE and GCE O-level the same, cause I took O-level instead of GCSE for maths and got an A for it, and I saw some of the requirements are gcse maths at grade B, is it the same?
GCSEs and GCE O Levels are roughly equivalent. At Oxford, for Computer Science we don't have any specific GCSE/O Level requirements, but we'd expect you to have a good set of grades, especially in the Maths/science ones you've taken. The fact that you've done O Level rather than GCSEs isn't a problem - we have applicants from around the world, and are more than used to seeing applicants with many different, equivalent qualifications.

It's A Levels/IB/Bac (or equivalent) where we have specific requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending