The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex's Reputation

I was curious to know about Sussex's reputation in the UK? I mean I know that it's ranked fairly well (not that rankings are everything) but still I never really hear people talk about it when talking about top schools.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by justanotherperson
I was curious to know about Sussex's reputation in the UK? I mean I know that it's ranked fairly well (not that rankings are everything) but still I never really hear people talk about it when talking about top schools.

It's a good university and in the top 10 for many subjects. However, it isn't in the Russell Group which is the UK 'Ivy League' and so may get left out in favour of places like Durham, Exeter etc. It is a founding member of the 1994 group and though still prestigious, Sussex is known for radicalism. I think that's a good thing, some traditionalists may not :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 3
Sussex ranked 11th, 14th and 19th in UK league tables this year, so it is cearly a very reputable institution.

For those who aren't familiar with the UK league table system, the top 30 is usually dominated by Russell Group institutions. Many of these are older universities that have had many years to develop and reinforce their reputation as national leaders - examples include Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester etc.

Sussex however was established in the 1960s, and is only 50 years old. I would put it alongside places like UEA and Lancaster - very good universities that have not been around long enough to establish themselves globally to the level that older institutions have.

When you consider the size of Sussex, I think it's doing pretty well for itself. It has a mere 12,000 students, and still ranks alongside places that have 3 times as many :smile: In short, it's definately a good university that i'm sure will develop well into the future :smile:
Original post by swbp
Sussex ranked 11th, 14th and 19th in UK league tables this year, so it is cearly a very reputable institution.

For those who aren't familiar with the UK league table system, the top 30 is usually dominated by Russell Group institutions. Many of these are older universities that have had many years to develop and reinforce their reputation as national leaders - examples include Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester etc.

Sussex however was established in the 1960s, and is only 50 years old. I would put it alongside places like UEA and Lancaster - very good universities that have not been around long enough to establish themselves globally to the level that older institutions have.

When you consider the size of Sussex, I think it's doing pretty well for itself. It has a mere 12,000 students, and still ranks alongside places that have 3 times as many :smile: In short, it's definately a good university that i'm sure will develop well into the future :smile:

Great! :smile:
Reply 5
Great! :smile:

What are you thinking of applying for?
Media Studies :smile:
Have you already applied/planning on applying?
Reply 7
Media Studies :smile:
Have you already applied/planning on applying?

Ohh Sussex has a brillaint reputation for that :smile:

I've applied and firmed Sussex for September this year, to study Geography :smile:
Are you coming this year?
Original post by swbp
Ohh Sussex has a brillaint reputation for that :smile:

I've applied and firmed Sussex for September this year, to study Geography :smile:
Are you coming this year?

I'm applying for 2013 entry, and hoping to get an offer, it's my first choice. Extremely nervous! Congrats on getting an offer :biggrin:
Reply 9
Most Brighton Uni courses are ranked higher than the same courses at sussex..
Reply 10
Original post by kas0

I wasn't even aware Brigthon university made any league tables this year.
Reply 11
Original post by kas0

No they don't. There's a reason Sussex is top 20, and Brighton top 60.

Here are some examples:
Psychology - Sussex = 10th, Brighton=99th
English - Sussex=11th, Brighton=81st
Geography - Sussex=16th, Brighton=55th
History - Sussex=12th, Brighton=55th
Economics - Sussex=25th, Brighton=47th

Brighton only beat Sussex in one subject area. One. In the rest Sussex is usually about 40-50 places ahead.
Original post by swbp
No they don't. There's a reason Sussex is top 20, and Brighton top 60.

Here are some examples:
Psychology - Sussex = 10th, Brighton=99th
English - Sussex=11th, Brighton=81st
Geography - Sussex=16th, Brighton=55th
History - Sussex=12th, Brighton=55th
Economics - Sussex=25th, Brighton=47th

Brighton only beat Sussex in one subject area. One. In the rest Sussex is usually about 40-50 places ahead.

Haha that's what I thought :P
Reply 13
You guys & gals are going to love the Brighton and Sussex rivalry
Reply 14
Original post by ajayhp
You guys & gals are going to love the Brighton and Sussex rivalry

Rivalry? Do brighton have any advantages over Sussex at all?
Haha, yes I cannot wait.
Reply 15
Original post by swbp
Rivalry? Do brighton have any advantages over Sussex at all?
Haha, yes I cannot wait.

I must say, one area where Brighton trumps Sussex, is in the Business School.

And there is little or no rivalry between the universities. Students are free to access any Brighton/Sussex libraries.

Indeed Sussex has a higher reputation but in terms of future prospects, I'd say there is very little between the two universities when you look at the bigger picture.

Brighton also has more down-to-earth students (no posh types) and is closer to town, hospital, banks, shops etc.
Reply 16
Original post by Akkuz
I must say, one area where Brighton trumps Sussex, is in the Business School.

And there is little or no rivalry between the universities. Students are free to access any Brighton/Sussex libraries.

Indeed Sussex has a higher reputation but in terms of future prospects, I'd say there is very little between the two universities when you look at the bigger picture.

Brighton also has more down-to-earth students (no posh types) and is closer to town, hospital, banks, shops etc.

I don't doubt Brighton at all, infact it's probably one of the best ex-polytecnics. However for my subject Sussex looks a far better option.
Reply 17
Original post by swbp
I don't doubt Brighton at all, infact it's probably one of the best ex-polytecnics. However for my subject Sussex looks a far better option.

Without a doubt, Sussex is probably better in a lot of subjects :tongue: And I love the library up there; much better than ours.

The only real negative about Sussex is the location. Once your in the 2nd/3rd years you need to take a bus or drive/cycle to get there. My friends who study there find it quite annoying. Whereas I live a 10 minute walk from my uni building and 10 minute walk from town.
Reply 18
Original post by Akkuz
Without a doubt, Sussex is probably better in a lot of subjects :tongue: And I love the library up there; much better than ours.

The only real negative about Sussex is the location. Once your in the 2nd/3rd years you need to take a bus or drive/cycle to get there. My friends who study there find it quite annoying. Whereas I live a 10 minute walk from my uni building and 10 minute walk from town.

Yeah, the travel is going to be irritating :/ Also, for both universities, Brighton sounds like a really expensive place to live.
Reply 19
Original post by swbp
Yeah, the travel is going to be irritating :/ Also, for both universities, Brighton sounds like a really expensive place to live.

It's not too bad. Cheaper than London, but not that much cheaper. Unfortunately we don't get an extra "London" allowance on our student loans which is annoying. Weekly bus passes are like £10-£12 per week which isn't too bad. Bus system is pretty good. A lot of people cycle though. Wouldn't recommend bringing a car - it isnt a very car friendly town.

Quick Reply

Latest