The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quick question for you all, which internet browser do you use? I used to use Firefox, but when my computer died that was uninstalled, so I've just been using Google Chrome as I'm too lazy to download FF again :tongue: Google Chrome is slowly pi$$ing me off though, as it keeps crashing :unimpressed: . I think I may go back to good ol' Firefox. :ff:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Quick question for you all, which internet browser do you use? I used to use Firefox, but when my computer died that was uninstalled, so I've just been using Google Chrome as I'm too lazy to download FF again :tongue: Google Chrome is slowly pi$$ing me off though, as it keeps crashing :unimpressed: . I think I may go back to good ol' Firefox. :ff:

Firefox forever :awesome:
Reply 2162
The OCR Linked Pair Pilot **CLICKY**

Two of the exams are for Applications in Maths, one of which is a resit of an exam I did in Year 9.
The other two are for Methods in Maths, and again one is a resit.

Im not sure if my school offer this, is this only on the OCR exam board or do other boards offer this qualification? Can it be done all in a year? I'm wondering if top set maths will be doing this in my school as we are doing an extra maths qualification.
Reply 2163

Google chrome is so much better in my opinion!
Reply 2164
Original post by MangoFreak
2 German - Reading/Listening
3 Science - the 3 triple subjects
2 English - something to do with reading or something :dontknow:
1 History
1 RE & Philosophy :colonhash:

I would have had 5 Science exams + coursework if I hadn't managed to worm my way out of that :ahee:

But I still have a few mocks left, also.

No maths then?
Original post by Mahii
No maths then?

I do linear. I'll be doing the exams early in November, I think.
Original post by Mahii
Im not sure if my school offer this, is this only on the OCR exam board or do other boards offer this qualification? Can it be done all in a year? I'm wondering if top set maths will be doing this in my school as we are doing an extra maths qualification.

Currently it's only a pilot scheme, so not all schools will offer it yet. As far as I'm aware, it's only with OCR, and I'm not sure about it being done in a year. Usually there's two exams in Year 9, and then two in Year 10, but we weren't really taught much about it in Year 9, so I guess there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it in only one year. It counts as two GCSEs, Applications and Methods, but in Year 11 I'm going to do another Maths GCSE (Edexcel, I believe) just in case this falls through and I'm left without a recognised qualification in Maths.
Currently it's only a pilot scheme, so not all schools will offer it yet. As far as I'm aware, it's only with OCR, and I'm not sure about it being done in a year. Usually there's two exams in Year 9, and then two in Year 10, but we weren't really taught much about it in Year 9, so I guess there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it in only one year. It counts as two GCSEs, Applications and Methods, but in Year 11 I'm going to do another Maths GCSE (Edexcel, I believe) just in case this falls through and I'm left without a recognised qualification in Maths.

All the exam boards offer the new pilot and i seen the hunger games and didn't find it that good(7/10) and looking on-line apparently Katness doesn't love Peeta Mellark in the book ,although in the film she does.
Original post by Dalek1099
All the exam boards offer the new pilot and i seen the hunger games and didn't find it that good(7/10) and looking on-line apparently Katness doesn't love Peeta Mellark in the book ,although in the film she does.

Please, go read the books, it's hardly clear whether she loves him or not.

Spoiler

Original post by MangoFreak
Please, go read the books, it's hardly clear whether she loves him or not.

Spoiler

Maybe I shouldn't trust wikipedia
I thought it would be interesting to post about what's happening in all my subjects and i would like people to respond and comment,on how they are doing in their subjects:

1.Geography(1 GCSE)-I'm doing great in Geography and got full UMS in my 1st exam on coasts and seem to be finding the natural hazards work enjoyable and not too difficult.I think I do some coursework this year and I'm sort of scared but there is probably nothing to worry about.I corrected my Geography teacher about the Richter scale,he thought it only went up to 9.I should easily get an A* in the subject.
2.Maths(1 GCSE)-I got 79/80 in my June Exam and what would be full UMS in my mock so no real concerns and I just love number and algebra but I don't like my teacher too much-she's against farting in the classroom-it is healthy to fart and unhealthy to cause pain,does too much group work,once took my pen away because I was attempting a question,when she said to read it-its maths not reading!!! and is trying to teach English,instructions on solving things and marking it as an English piece-how crazy is that? and she keeps going on about how hard it is to get an A or A* in Maths and you won't if you don't do this and that.I should get an A* even if I didn't do the things she says I need to ,to get an A or A* but I do anyway.
3.English(2 GCSEs)-I have got an A* in English Language(273/300) to be moderated-joint top in the class and for English Literature I need 55/60 in my Poetry exam,which could be tough-does anyone have any experience of learning how to analyse poetry? and I start learning Poetry after the holidays for an exam about the 24th May I think.The teacher seems very good at drawing the best out of us like full UMS for Macbeth and Rita so I'm very pleased.Should get an A* for Language and an A for Literature because I have never got an A* for an English exam so an A8 in the exam seems far-fetched.
4.PE(2 GCSEs)-I really don't know what I'm doing in this subject because the teacher isn't very helpful and supposedly the class has completed the last unit but only to a C and we are now starting the next unit but with 3 or even 4 units not sure for 2 GCSEs how will I get the higher grades-my target is an A*?My teacher does seem very disorganised.I should be able to get 2Bs at the end of the course,which is upsetting.
5.Business(2 GCSEs)-I'm enjoying Business and so far have got As for every piece of work ranging from business aims to types of business(private limited,public limited,sole trader etc) and expect an A and an A* pretty easily because most people are struggling to hit the As and may have to redo the coursework.My Business teacher says my work is too complicated though and I had to delete some of my coursework because it was too complicated.
6.ICT(2 GCSEs)-Coping very well with the coursework I completed the 1st Unit,in my Option lessons,half term before everyone else,it was about a presentation about a charity concert and was easily an A and I am now currently working on creating web pages.My Option ICT teacher doesn't like me rushing things through!!!For my core lessons,I'm currently getting As and am nicely working through a newsletter about a fake French trip and the attractions that are on the trip.I should get an A and an A* here.
7.French(1 GCSE)-I am currently working on my French Speaking exam and am very worried about-I shouldn't be because of German but I am and my teacher was very worried because my original work would've lasted 12 minutes and let's say I had to cut it down.I think I will be able to get an A in the Speaking exam and progress though the course an get an A.
8.RE(1 GCSE)-I got 78/80 in my mock,which would be full UMS so I'm working well in the subject and I should be able to get an A* but I do have only 2 lessons before the exam on May 15th because of the Easter holidays,work experience and the French speaking exam.
9.Science(2 GCSEs)-I'm really worried about Science because I'm only on a high B at the moment and I know the topics but can't apply them well it enough it seems.I'm so scared and worried about science because I can't work out how I can get an A* and Science is a very important subject-especially because it links it to Maths at A-Level and I may struggle without a clear understanding of Science.
Reply 2171
Original post by Mahii
I have my Maths Unit 2 on the 13th. Are you not doing edexcel?

Nope im doing AQA (: and add portuguese to my list (im doing this one a year early just don't know when)

I don't like my teacher too much-she's against farting in the classroom-it is healthy to fart and unhealthy to cause pain,

...what on Earth?
Original post by techno836
oh yeah i was thinking of going to leeds :biggrin: .... and i also forgot to put that next year i will be doing the duke of edingburgh award and spanish grade fell due to some problems at the time ... and the stupid listening exam -.- ... haha but hopefully im planning to get loads of work experience between september 2012 and october 2014 :biggrin:

oh wow! me too! well leeds is my first choice aswell, i will also be doing the DofE aswell next year.. PLUS i ALSO do spanish GCSE.. really? the listening is quite difficult, but i seem to be doing alright (in the mock but the real exam next year is scaring me) and my school cancelled work experience for my year only. -.- dont know why... but i guess ill be doing some in my own time too. i hope to have worked in 3 businesses interning in the marketing(or management) section, but of course it would be doing simple things.. as i want to study international business(management with spanish) in Leeds. i hope the create a that degree or i could just major in international business & minor in spanish..
Original post by jennifer.tariah
oh wow! me too! well leeds is my first choice aswell, i will also be doing the DofE aswell next year.. PLUS i ALSO do spanish GCSE.. really? the listening is quite difficult, but i seem to be doing alright (in the mock but the real exam next year is scaring me) and my school cancelled work experience for my year only. -.- dont know why... but i guess ill be doing some in my own time too. i hope to have worked in 3 businesses interning in the marketing(or management) section, but of course it would be doing simple things.. as i want to study international business(management with spanish) in Leeds. i hope the create a that degree or i could just major in international business & minor in spanish..

what are your gcse grades/predictions ... and do you plan to do for your A-Levels ?? :-)... maybe i will see you at leeds but i want to do medical :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I thought it would be interesting to post about what's happening in all my subjects and i would like people to respond and comment,on how they are doing in their subjects:

1.Geography(1 GCSE)-I'm doing great in Geography and got full UMS in my 1st exam on coasts and seem to be finding the natural hazards work enjoyable and not too difficult.I think I do some coursework this year and I'm sort of scared but there is probably nothing to worry about.I corrected my Geography teacher about the Richter scale,he thought it only went up to 9.I should easily get an A* in the subject.
2.Maths(1 GCSE)-I got 79/80 in my June Exam and what would be full UMS in my mock so no real concerns and I just love number and algebra but I don't like my teacher too much-she's against farting in the classroom-it is healthy to fart and unhealthy to cause pain,does too much group work,once took my pen away because I was attempting a question,when she said to read it-its maths not reading!!! and is trying to teach English,instructions on solving things and marking it as an English piece-how crazy is that? and she keeps going on about how hard it is to get an A or A* in Maths and you won't if you don't do this and that.I should get an A* even if I didn't do the things she says I need to ,to get an A or A* but I do anyway.
3.English(2 GCSEs)-I have got an A* in English Language(273/300) to be moderated-joint top in the class and for English Literature I need 55/60 in my Poetry exam,which could be tough-does anyone have any experience of learning how to analyse poetry? and I start learning Poetry after the holidays for an exam about the 24th May I think.The teacher seems very good at drawing the best out of us like full UMS for Macbeth and Rita so I'm very pleased.Should get an A* for Language and an A for Literature because I have never got an A* for an English exam so an A8 in the exam seems far-fetched.
4.PE(2 GCSEs)-I really don't know what I'm doing in this subject because the teacher isn't very helpful and supposedly the class has completed the last unit but only to a C and we are now starting the next unit but with 3 or even 4 units not sure for 2 GCSEs how will I get the higher grades-my target is an A*?My teacher does seem very disorganised.I should be able to get 2Bs at the end of the course,which is upsetting.
5.Business(2 GCSEs)-I'm enjoying Business and so far have got As for every piece of work ranging from business aims to types of business(private limited,public limited,sole trader etc) and expect an A and an A* pretty easily because most people are struggling to hit the As and may have to redo the coursework.My Business teacher says my work is too complicated though and I had to delete some of my coursework because it was too complicated.
6.ICT(2 GCSEs)-Coping very well with the coursework I completed the 1st Unit,in my Option lessons,half term before everyone else,it was about a presentation about a charity concert and was easily an A and I am now currently working on creating web pages.My Option ICT teacher doesn't like me rushing things through!!!For my core lessons,I'm currently getting As and am nicely working through a newsletter about a fake French trip and the attractions that are on the trip.I should get an A and an A* here.
7.French(1 GCSE)-I am currently working on my French Speaking exam and am very worried about-I shouldn't be because of German but I am and my teacher was very worried because my original work would've lasted 12 minutes and let's say I had to cut it down.I think I will be able to get an A in the Speaking exam and progress though the course an get an A.
8.RE(1 GCSE)-I got 78/80 in my mock,which would be full UMS so I'm working well in the subject and I should be able to get an A* but I do have only 2 lessons before the exam on May 15th because of the Easter holidays,work experience and the French speaking exam.
9.Science(2 GCSEs)-I'm really worried about Science because I'm only on a high B at the moment and I know the topics but can't apply them well it enough it seems.I'm so scared and worried about science because I can't work out how I can get an A* and Science is a very important subject-especially because it links it to Maths at A-Level and I may struggle without a clear understanding of Science.

:lolwut:

I guess that your lack of paragraphs just means no one will ever see that phrase :wink:
Original post by techno836
what are your gcse grades/predictions ... and do you plan to do for your A-Levels ?? :-)... maybe i will see you at leeds but i want to do medical :smile:

Well my predictions are
Maths- B
Science-B
English LANG-A
Spanish - A*
History- B
ICT- A*
R.E.-A
& yeah! i hope so.. your the only person i've met that is thinking of Leeds :biggrin:
Original post by jennifer.tariah
Well my predictions are
Maths- B
Science-B
English LANG-A
Spanish - A*
History- B
ICT- A*
R.E.-A
& yeah! i hope so.. your the only person i've met that is thinking of Leeds :biggrin:

Is that all the GCSEs you are doing or are you doing double science?

You're an arrogant pompus fool. Clearly, this is a post where you try to show off. Btw reading a question in maths is still maths! You don't randomly follow numbers without reading what the question asks.

Btw minus 4 GCSEs as PE and ICT are Levl 2 BTECS which are completely worthless! Level 3 BTECs are great, but not Level 2!
Is that all the GCSEs you are doing or are you doing double science?

Yup its double science.. and i'm doing LIT next year.

Latest