The Student Room Group

Likelihood of gaining teaching post after PGCE

I am looking to do a religious studies degree then afterwards a PGCE in post compulsory education. I am just wondering what the likelihood is of going straight into a teaching post after finishing the PGCE?
I want to teach religious studies at a college, then later on maybe university.
I have read about some people going straight into a post from the PGCE so am just wondering if it happens often or if you are simply left wandering after finishing it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The main aim is to straight into your NQT year. I'm doing my PGCE now (in English) and secured a job by January. Approximately half (out of 25) of the English cohort have secured NQT jobs already.
Reply 2
Original post by jaime1986
The main aim is to straight into your NQT year. I'm doing my PGCE now (in English) and secured a job by January. Approximately half (out of 25) of the English cohort have secured NQT jobs already.

Oh okay. So how do the job opportunities come about? Are you actively searched out? Im wanting to be a religious studies lecturer. Not too sure what the demand for that is right now.
Reply 3
Original post by ldarvell
I am looking to do a religious studies degree then afterwards a PGCE in post compulsory education. I am just wondering what the likelihood is of going straight into a teaching post after finishing the PGCE?
I want to teach religious studies at a college, then later on maybe university.
I have read about some people going straight into a post from the PGCE so am just wondering if it happens often or if you are simply left wandering after finishing it?

Zero.
Why?
Because at the moment there is an abundance of teachers, and many schools are having to reduce their staff due to budget cuts.
Also, you don't just "teach" at uni :facepalm: You need a PhD to lecture.
Reply 4
Original post by Jimbo1234
Zero.
Why?
Because at the moment there is an abundance of teachers, and many schools are having to reduce their staff due to budget cuts.

Yes, i am aware about the necessity for a phd. I have researched it due to it being a possible future career choice. I was asking about being a college lecturer.
Reply 5
Original post by ldarvell
Yes, i am aware about the necessity for a phd. I have researched it due to it being a possible future career choice. I was asking about being a college lecturer.

There is more likely to be more teaching posts in a high school for RE than a college, due to RE being part of the curriculam and compulsary in catholic schools.
So you might have to widen your search to high schools also if you want a post straight after uni.
Original post by Shelly_x
There is more likely to be more teaching posts in a high school for RE than a college, due to RE being part of the curriculam and compulsary in catholic schools.
So you might have to widen your search to high schools also if you want a post straight after uni.

You also might want to bear in mind that for school teaching, RE is not part of the English Baccalaureate which the coalition are currently encouraging schools to take up. A friend of mine lost her RE post mid-way through her NQT year because they moved to the EB, and training places for RE have been slashed massively. I'm not sure about the situation for college lecturers but I do know that the situation in FE is pretty tough at the moment as so many cuts are being made. It's just something to think about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm contemplating the PGCE in Post Compulsory Education but I am told it is very tough to be accepted. I am looking at the part time route which generally want you to have a job in education but I am wanting to teach business and need experience.

Being 22 and having worked in retail for 5 years I am starting a job as a factory supervisor immediately after my degree to get experience.

I have been told by my tutor that the process is tough but being male is advantageous as most applicants at my institution are female but age is against me.

However, this qualification is one that will provide extremely useful to myself throughout life as the course gives you the ability to answer questions you are unsure of the answer and aims to build confidence. Besides these important life skills the post compulsory education route does not limit you to colleges as you can become a trainer for many companies too.

Just got my fingers crossed I get an interview and pass it!
Most schools and colleges are having their budgets cut, so I would be wary about thinking anything is for certain.

For a subject like RE, where there are more qualified teachers than there are posts, I think you would have to be willing to travel in order to apply. Would you be willing to move for a post?

I am an English trainee, and it's all well and good for someone in a subject like Science or English or Maths to say "there's loads of jobs" - Most schools employ about 10 teachers in each of those subjects, but for RE they may not employ any so the job market is completely different.

Good luck with your career all the same though. If you are determined, you shouldn't let government cutbacks put you off.
Reply 9
Original post by Suzanathema
Most schools and colleges are having their budgets cut, so I would be wary about thinking anything is for certain.

For a subject like RE, where there are more qualified teachers than there are posts, I think you would have to be willing to travel in order to apply. Would you be willing to move for a post?

I am an English trainee, and it's all well and good for someone in a subject like Science or English or Maths to say "there's loads of jobs" - Most schools employ about 10 teachers in each of those subjects, but for RE they may not employ any so the job market is completely different.

Good luck with your career all the same though. If you are determined, you shouldn't let government cutbacks put you off.

Yeah I think I would be willing to move. This is clearly something I'll have to think about, although I need to get through my degree first. At the end of that I can make a more informed decision about whether to go through with the PGCE or go for a graduate job in a different area.

Thanks for all your help!
Zero.
Why?

That can't be true for every subject as one of my tutors, who is also the programme leader, is only just in the middle of doing his PhD now. And as far as I am aware, the other tutors don't have PhD's.
Original post by _Shanice_
That can't be true for every subject as one of my tutors, who is also the programme leader, is only just in the middle of doing his PhD now. And as far as I am aware, the other tutors don't have PhD's.

What uni do you attend?
You should only lecture if you have a PhD :s-smilie: Otherwise how do you know that the lecturer knows what they are on about?
Also, the lecturer should be involved in active research in their field, and you will only have work recognised if you have a PhD or are part of a team led by someone with a PhD or greater.
Reply 12
What uni do you attend?
You should only lecture if you have a PhD :s-smilie: Otherwise how do you know that the lecturer knows what they are on about?
Also, the lecturer should be involved in active research in their field, and you will only have work recognised if you have a PhD or are part of a team led by someone with a PhD or greater.

The requirements for a lecturer is to have at least a masters qualification. Having said that, most lecturers do tend to have PhDs/be studying towards their PhD.
The requirements for a lecturer is to have at least a masters qualification. Having said that, most lecturers do tend to have PhDs/be studying towards their PhD.

:curious:
Well I know at my Uni and all of my friends uni's that you needto have a PhD. Maybe lesser institutions are more lenient? :confused: What uni do you attend ?
Reply 14
:curious:
Well I know at my Uni and all of my friends uni's that you needto have a PhD. Maybe lesser institutions are more lenient? :confused: What uni do you attend ?

Not really, many unis offer 'teaching PhDs'. This means that they will fund your PhD in return for you teaching at the uni. I've seen several of these advertised at high ranking institutions.
Not really, many unis offer 'teaching PhDs'. This means that they will fund your PhD in return for you teaching at the uni. I've seen several of these advertised at high ranking institutions.

I have never seen such a thing offered.
What uni's were offering this?
Also, do not be confused with PhD's that also have part teaching in it combined with research.
Reply 16
I have never seen such a thing offered.
What uni's were offering this?
Also, do not be confused with PhD's that also have part teaching in it combined with research.

York Uni is the only one I can remember.
York Uni is the only one I can remember.

Well seeing that I attended there for 4 years and never saw such a thing........I'm calling bull**** :redface:
Reply 18
Well seeing that I attended there for 4 years and never saw such a thing........I'm calling bull**** :redface:

Clearly you didn't look hard enough.
Heres an article about people without PhDs who teach at uni, seems to be a lively debate that you might enjoy:
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=407903
Clearly you didn't look hard enough.
Heres an article about people without PhDs who teach at uni, seems to be a lively debate that you might enjoy:
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=407903

Yet none mention English uni's and as I said before, without a PhD you can not take part in current research ergo your teaching skill will fall behind.

You will find all the subjects allowing to teach without PhD's will be vocational courses which are not degrees, thus have no research and only recently have unis offered a "degree" in the subject.

Anyway, getting off topic so PM me if you want to reply :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending