The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7500
Ahh I wish I'd done a maths degree. I still love physics but the whole hand wavyness way most of the courses were taught was quite annoying to me :frown:
Reply 7501
Original post by Glutamic Acid
Just 71 days! Suppose 15 of them yield to CATAM, then that's just 56 days. If you prepare say 8 courses then that's just 7 days per course.

I want to say that 15 days for CATAM is an overestimate, but I fear you're closer to the truth than my guess...

not even sure i want to prepare 30 units worth for catam.
Revise at home or revise at uni, that's the question...
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Revise at home or revise at uni, that's the question...

not a question if you have 25 revision problem (just for analysis) to hand in when you get back..
Original post by around
3rd year exams next term.

my, the time has flown by

The part of university I definitely don't miss. How many courses do Cambridge thirs years normally prepare for? Equivalent to eight 24-lecture courses?
Oh wow, this year is gone so far, exams from the 10th-23rd May :eek:
Reply 7506
Original post by shamika
The part of university I definitely don't miss. How many courses do Cambridge thirs years normally prepare for? Equivalent to eight 24-lecture courses?

Roughly, yeah. Depends how much hell you're willing to put yourself through and whether you really want to do a Part III or not (which entails getting a first...)
Original post by around
Roughly, yeah. Depends how much hell you're willing to put yourself through and whether you really want to do a Part III or not (which entails getting a first...)

And how much hell are you putting yourself through?

I feel sorry for all of you - hated final year exams. A lot. Good luck :smile:
Reply 7508
Original post by shamika
And how much hell are you putting yourself through?

I'm taking 7 24 lecture courses, a 16 lecture course and another 2 'easy' 24 lecture courses (which are the exam equivalent of a 12 lecture course) for now.

May start dropping once I start revising and realise I don't remember any of anything.
Wow.....time has flown by.....final term exams starting soon :sigh:
Original post by around
I'm taking 7 24 lecture courses, a 16 lecture course and another 2 'easy' 24 lecture courses (which are the exam equivalent of a 12 lecture course) for now.

May start dropping once I start revising and realise I don't remember any of anything.

Is it really not worth doing any Section I questions for someone with a serious chance at a first? I mean those marks have to rack up somehow, and e.g. a lot of the Number Theory ones look like you can knock them out in a few minutes if you know the bookwork well...
Reply 7511
Original post by shamika
Is it really not worth doing any Section I questions for someone with a serious chance at a first? I mean those marks have to rack up somehow, and e.g. a lot of the Number Theory ones look like you can knock them out in a few minutes if you know the bookwork well...

I'm only going to do Section I's if I finish a section II and there's only 5-10 minutes left or I haven't been able to start a Section II after about 30 minutes to get myself thinking.

Section II's are worth so many more marks that wasting productive time on Section I's seems coutnerintuitive.
Template for the proof of RH

Assume there is a zero of the line, therefore

There are finitely many primes. Contradiction. There is no zero on the line.

P.S. Pretty promising line of attack I've discovered.
Reply 7513
Just realised I've spent the past hour and a half working on a needlessly complicated version of the actual problem I'm doing and the real version is about 2 lines long, instead of the multiple paragraphs I've already spent trying to solve the hard version.

**** catam so hard.
Reply 7514
Original post by around
Just realised I've spent the past hour and a half working on a needlessly complicated version of the actual problem I'm doing and the real version is about 2 lines long, instead of the multiple paragraphs I've already spent trying to solve the hard version.

**** catam so hard.

:mmm:
It's quite frustrating (and it's also very hard to judge how much you can leave out to still get 15/20). But I think if you're already a fair bit into CATAM by now, you're in good shape. I started it when I came back from the Easter holidays last year and so had to take a few gambles on which of the harder parts to skip... not recommended.
Original post by around

**** catam so hard.

I got curious so I looked it up. Looks like the biggest time-drain known to man. The projects are so long!
Reply 7516
Original post by shamika
I got curious so I looked it up. Looks like the biggest time-drain known to man. The projects are so long!

Tell me about it. You can't tell how much time they're going to take until you get stuck in.

(There should definitely be a thread which lets people know which ones are short. So far I've found 2 black-holes of time and 1 project which is pretty accessible)
Original post by around

**** catam so hard.

Which projects are you doing?
Reply 7518
Original post by Glutamic Acid
Which projects are you doing?

So far I've done 7.3 and 16.5. I may just end up doing another and getting roughly 2 units worth of marks.
Reply 7519
Eurgh. CATAM.

Quick Reply

Latest