The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9580
Original post by Tateco
Sounds like rubbish to me, and if they are cutting straight economics grads then studying it combined with maths probably won't make any difference. Straight economics always seems like the best one to go for as for all of the universities I have seen when it says Economics with >insert subject< all it does is remove all your optional modules and replace them with that subject. Whereas if you do straight economics you can opt to do whatever optional modules you want without constraint.

May be just a rumour, although with the number of people graduating with a degree in Economics now I can see it may be true. Plus given the chance to choose any option modules Ill probably move towards the mathematical ones anyway.
I missed the LSE visit...a lie in seemed a good choice at the time... >_>

Is everyone with LSE offers firming or insurancing? That might give me a feel of how the day went :biggrin:
Reply 9582
Original post by perrytheplatypus
I missed the LSE visit...a lie in seemed a good choice at the time... >_>

Is everyone with LSE offers firming or insurancing? That might give me a feel of how the day went :biggrin:

Where are you considering at the moment?
Original post by Tateco
Where are you considering at the moment?

Probably LSE. Like WalkerPrince says, the UCL visit day put me off the uni a little.
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Probably LSE. Like WalkerPrince says, the UCL visit day put me off the uni a little.

If it helps, before the visit day I was 50/50 between LSE and Bath. After the visit day, my head hurts just thinking about it :tongue:
Original post by jamiepango
If it helps, before the visit day I was 50/50 between LSE and Bath. After the visit day, my head hurts just thinking about it :tongue:

What do you mean? Didn't you like LSE?
Does anyone know of someone(s) who didn't get an offer from edinburgh despite getting predicted aab or more? (with similar AS's)
Original post by internet tough guy
Does anyone know of someone(s) who didn't get an offer from edinburgh despite getting predicted aab or more? (with similar AS's)

I applied for Economics and Geography and got rejected (predicted A*AA, with AAAB at AS) Guess it was just a really competitive course, oh well :smile:
Original post by Charlesworth
I applied for Economics and Geography and got rejected (predicted A*AA, with AAAB at AS) Guess it was just a really competitive course, oh well :smile:

may i ask how you found writing an econ and geo ps and applying for land economy, are they very similar (my friend wants to apply)

apparently they take into account 'contextual factors' :s-smilie:, seems like it isn't so straight forward as having a great academic profile
Original post by nightmare91

It's good, I just meant the visit day didn't help solve my dilemma :colondollar:
Reply 9591

Aren't you tempted by st. Andrews with the free fees? :tongue:
Reply 9592
apparently they take into account 'contextual factors' :s-smilie:, seems like it isn't so straight forward as having a great academic profile

They openly favour disadvantaged students from poorly performing state schools
Original post by Tateco
They openly favour disadvantaged students from poorly performing state schools

so are there alot of people (with stand-out grades) who didn't get an offer?
Reply 9594
so are there alot of people (with stand-out grades) who didn't get an offer?

I have no idea, sorry.
Original post by jamiepango
It's good, I just meant the visit day didn't help solve my dilemma :colondollar:

Ah ok :biggrin: So when will you decide? I think we have time until May or something like that?

Original post by Tateco
Aren't you tempted by st. Andrews with the free fees? :tongue:

A little bit, yes :tongue: 27,000 pounds vs 0 pounds... And today the offer package arrived and it looked really good! But I think I'll stick to Warwick. Scottland is just too far away. I'll definetely put it as an insurance though. Have you firmed UCL already?
Reply 9596
Ah ok :biggrin: So when will you decide? I think we have time until May or something like that?

A little bit, yes :tongue: 27,000 pounds vs 0 pounds... And today the offer package arrived and it looked really good! But I think I'll stick to Warwick. Scottland is just too far away. I'll definetely put it as an insurance though. Have you firmed UCL already?

Yeah I would be really tempted, is such a beautiful place as well. No not yet, waiting to see what happens with the gap year stuff first!
Original post by tooambitious
may i ask how you found writing an econ and geo ps and applying for land economy, are they very similar (my friend wants to apply)

I didn't really mention anything about land economy specifically. When you apply for Cambridge you fill in a form (forgotten its name!) which gives you a space to write a more specific personal statement and reason why you want to specifically do the course. Cambridge understand that the PS would not be targeted specifically for land economy as it is a unique degree. Hope that is of some use :biggrin:
I didn't really mention anything about land economy specifically. When you apply for Cambridge you fill in a form (forgotten its name!) which gives you a space to write a more specific personal statement and reason why you want to specifically do the course. Cambridge understand that the PS would not be targeted specifically for land economy as it is a unique degree. Hope that is of some use :biggrin:

thank you!

Yeah, there are definitely a much wider range of factors taken into account apart from academics, such as the PS, references and like you said contextual factors.

Latest