The Student Room Group

How to (Painlessly) Apply to US Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by 082349
I think it's quite rare given that law is a graduate program.

I was wondering as a graduate LLM from the UK.
Do you apply after having completed your AS's (for entry conditional on your A2 results) like in the UK, or after having completed A2, for unconditional entry?

If the latter, how long does the process take if you only have the summer before the first year begins (with the exception of gap years) to apply?
I'm looking to apply to a few American Universities, perhaps including some Ivies... In terms of extra-curricular activities, is it better to aim for well roundedness and so a variety of different activities or to excell in one particular activity? Thanks
Original post by insomniacramblings
Do you apply after having completed your AS's (for entry conditional on your A2 results) like in the UK, or after having completed A2, for unconditional entry?

If the latter, how long does the process take if you only have the summer before the first year begins (with the exception of gap years) to apply?

You found your answer yet!!?
Original post by arvin_infinity
You found your answer yet!!?

Yes, I have :biggrin:. One sec, I'll quote you the helpful response I got.

EDIT: Here:

Original post by Kingbradley6
Well if you are planning to take a gap year then you may as well take it afterwards. This way it won't interfere with revision for UK exams (assuming you are British) and you will know a lot more content for the SAT subject tests. However for the general one, provided you feel you can revise without it hindering anything else, then start ASAP. You are allowed to take them all as many times as you want and the universities only look at your top ones. Although obviously you have to pay each time you take it.

Original post by Kingbradley6
UK applicants get interviewed by an alumnus in the UK, you don't go to Harvard. My one was just an hour chat in a cafe; very informal. When you apply using the Common App you have to submit it by 1st January but can do so whenever before then. Once you do your interviewer will be in touch. So it is whenever convenient for you. I had my Harvard interview in October and my MIT interview in September.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 105
I'm doing a gap year placement at KPMG this year but am looking at applying to about 15 uni's in the US, how do you find out the grades they require i.e..A2's achieved?
Reply 106
I'm considering studying Law in an American University. My question is not so much how but when to start the process.

When should I apply for the SAT?
When should I apply to the universities?

During Year 12? 13? During UCAS application process?

I don't come from a very rich background. Will this affect my chances?
What's the average grade needed to go to an average college in the US? Say if I got BBB for my A levels, would that be enough to go to a college in the west or east coast? Lastly, what's the latest time you could apply for colleges in the US, or is it not needed? Is there a clearing system similar to the UK?
Reply 108
Original post by Dust.
I'm considering studying Law in an American University. My question is not so much how but when to start the process.

Isnt Law in the US a graduate degree? 2 years general then Law?
Reply 109
Okay, the American Law school system really confuses me. How does it actually work? Do I have to have a different degree before getting a law degree?
Reply 110
Original post by Dust.
Okay, the American Law school system really confuses me. How does it actually work? Do I have to have a different degree before getting a law degree?

Most Law schools require an undergraduate degree and a good score on the Law School Admission Test (LSAT).

I have a friend who is getting her undergrad in Pre-Law and then is moving on to Law school...but yes, Law school is graduate work.
Original post by Dust.

You should apply for the SAT in the spring of your junior year (which i think is year 12 for you guys) or the fall of your senior year. you can apply for early or regular decision, and most universities have their deadlines on their websites.
Also, many universities have financial aid, and there is SAT fee waivers too.
Reply 112
Haha, I feel 'painlessly' should be removed from this thread title. Really useful info though, cheers. Other than the Princeton books for the SAT, is there any other reading you could recommend? I'm just about to go into y12 and the extent of my knowledge regarding the us uni system is confined to this thread!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 113
So if I do a law degree here in England, can I go to America and do a graduate degree in Law?
Do they look at your Predicted A level grades or your AS grades or even both?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I know this thread is mostly for international students applying to USA unis. But I'm desperate to get into UCSD or UCLA or one of the UC's in Fall 2013 and I'm really stuck on my UC application. Firstly because, I'm a US permanent resident but have studied in UK for my 'high school' years, i.e yr 10 to 13(still in yr13), and have GCSEs, AS-levels and A levelpredicteds. Does that make any difference to my application? And when I try to fill in details in my academic history section of UC app, it won't accept my future high school graduation date or the date that I will receive my A level qualifications so I was wondering if anyone had any clue how to solve this annoying problem so I can fill in the rest of my academic history?
Reply 116
How do US uni's use your A-levels and GCSE's or do they just use the SAT's? Or does it just depend on the university?
Original post by ogioh
The only question I have is about the school transcript, as others have said GPU etc are useless terms here in the UK. So do we only need to send off GCSE and A-Level results?

Yea pretty much, if your school doesnt use GPA then you dont need to send it :smile:
Reply 118
For anyone thinking of applying to any University of California schools, they don't give international aid. Just something to bear in mind when applying.
Universities over here keep asking for transcripts from my high school counselor, which is a pain in the tooshie cuz well you all know that we get our grades directly from Cambridge. What am I supposed to do?!, will they except my O and A level certificates as 'transcripts'??? Im not even trying to get my credits transferred (I guess theyre like 17-20) I just want freshman admission. Idk why the unis here are being so uncooperative!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending