The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7200
Original post by El Torres
Do it. Especially if you have an S2 or anything with TouchWiz on it. That has got to be the worst piece of software I have ever come across. What an absolute pile of crap. I'm yet to a single person who likes it. Junk junk and more junk. It's so much better getting a ROM, you get the stock look, with a whole load of added features. Plus updates come every week or so depending or what ROM it is. Updates are still faster. I mean I have 4.0.4 on my HTC Desire HD and that isn't even out for the Nexus S which is an official android phone.

Are you using IceColdSandwich 7.0 or CM9?

How are you finding it in terms of stability?

It's not very stable here, I keep getting reboots etc.
Original post by wizard710
At the flip side (especially at the moment as it's still in warranty) is everything just works. Market apps update, I can install off the web market etc

The only thing out that, that you'll lose is your warranty, and if anything breaks you can unroot it so it'll look like you never rooted it. You can update all apps and use the web market. While rooted you can also get Gapps. Google apps. All the official apps, all of them, even ones that are only for the US, and they get updated faster.

Original post by lohoj
Are you using IceColdSandwich 7.0 or CM9?

How are you finding it in terms of stability?

It's not very stable here, I keep getting reboots etc.

I'm using IceCold and its ridiculously good for me. No reboots, no force closes or anything. Have you tries formatting your phone before installing? Was 6.2 fine for you or is it IceCold in general?
Reply 7202
The only thing out that, that you'll lose is your warranty, and if anything breaks you can unroot it so it'll look like you never rooted it. You can update all apps and use the web market. While rooted you can also get Gapps. Google apps. All the official apps, all of them, even ones that are only for the US, and they get updated faster.

I'm using IceCold and its ridiculously good for me. No reboots, no force closes or anything. Have you tries formatting your phone before installing? Was 6.2 fine for you or is it IceCold in general?

I was using IceCold yesterday. I tested it during the day, and I got 4 random reboots/freezes :frown:

It was a clean install, and the first time I used IceCold. However, I'm using a porter version from the Desire HD on my Desire S. The kernel that I am using is CM9 kernel. It isn't the Lord ClockaN one you guys have... So that may be my problem..

How are you finding it? Do you enjoy it more than Sense? Video camera isn't working, right?
Much better than Sense, although Sense isn't that bad. Yeah the Video camera isn't working for now. Fixed the camera though which is good.

If it is a port then that might be the issue, although I don't know how. It must be fine for others right? Maybe try 6.2 and then update to 7.0. See how it goes. Can you use Lords kernal? I don't know if they need to be ported to each device or are something any device can use. Either way if they ported the ROM maybe they have a plan to port the kernal over too. Try a few other kernals in the mean time.
Anyone else here recently upgraded their phone for ICS?? I'd give it a mixed review, seems a tad pointless at times. Would be interesting to here other thoughts...

I've been posting pictures of the Android Mascot just to spam the place...

Original post by tinytadpoletim
Anyone else here recently upgraded their phone for ICS?? I'd give it a mixed review, seems a tad pointless at times. Would be interesting to here other thoughts...

Full HW acceleration for UI rendering is a winner in my books.
Original post by mikeyd85

Full HW acceleration for UI rendering is a winner in my books.

Granted. But faceunlock's a bit of a gimmick and the new default Android browser on ICS = bleurgh...

Started using Chrome Beta :hmmm:
Proud owner of a motorola droid X
Granted. But faceunlock's a bit of a gimmick and the new default Android browser on ICS = bleurgh...

What.. the browser in ICS is bloody amazing. They have improved it so much. Much faster and the little slide out buttons, very sleek. Granted I'm using the Chrome beta too but only because I like the idea of turning my laptop off and resuming it on my phone exactly how I left it as well as all my bookmarks syncing. Other than that it's not great, no full screen browsing or anything. Really tempted to just bookmark the sites I go on a lot and go back to using the stock browser.

Face unlock... so pointless! I agree there.

New browser is much better IMO. Though I must admit, when Chrome comes out of beta, it'll slaughter it.
Reply 7211
Much better than Sense, although Sense isn't that bad. Yeah the Video camera isn't working for now. Fixed the camera though which is good.

If it is a port then that might be the issue, although I don't know how. It must be fine for others right? Maybe try 6.2 and then update to 7.0. See how it goes. Can you use Lords kernal? I don't know if they need to be ported to each device or are something any device can use. Either way if they ported the ROM maybe they have a plan to port the kernal over too. Try a few other kernals in the mean time.

Nope, unfortunately not :frown:

I have just loaded back the ROM again, giving it another go! I really do love stock ICS :biggrin:

The browser is awesome!
everyones having a lot of luck with ice cold sandwitch :frown: it was unstable for me (desire s) quite a few apps didnt work, didnt adjust to the browser enough to miss it although i'd love to have it, Cyanogen 7.2 rc had a few bugs but 7.1 stable has been amazing a few force closes but i had that on stock and a few are also to do with new apps like instagram which are buggy so i can't really fault it
Original post by youngzwavey
everyones having a lot of luck with ice cold sandwitch :frown: it was unstable for me (desire s) quite a few apps didnt work, didnt adjust to the browser enough to miss it although i'd love to have it, Cyanogen 7.2 rc had a few bugs but 7.1 stable has been amazing a few force closes but i had that on stock and a few are also to do with new apps like instagram which are buggy so i can't really fault it

IceCold seems more stable now I use the ondemand governor.

I had a Hero and that was rooted so I understand what I'm doing but my apps would never automatically update and there would always be problems installing from the web market.
Reply 7215
Original post by youngzwavey

Used IceCold again for the night, and I got 3 reboots :frown:.

1 on Stock kernel, then I changed to tiamat which supposedly fixes things.

But I got another 2 reboots. Same boat here mate. I'd love to be able to use this as my stable driver..
Original post by wizard710
I had a Hero and that was rooted so I understand what I'm doing but my apps would never automatically update and there would always be problems installing from the web market.

Something wrong with your setup, I'm rooted and running a HP Touchpad which isn't even a native android device and my auto updates and markets both work fine (both on device and via the web).
Maybe you lot are having problems because you are using ported versions of the actual ROM. I mean I wouldn't think it would be a problem but you never know.

For the guy with the Hero, wizard710. The issue is definitely on your side. Have you done the whole wipe the phone and see if it works then? Tried the latest version of gapps?
Maybe you lot are having problems because you are using ported versions of the actual ROM. I mean I wouldn't think it would be a problem but you never know.

For the guy with the Hero, wizard710. The issue is definitely on your side. Have you done the whole wipe the phone and see if it works then? Tried the latest version of gapps?

Porting from DHD > DS is pretty straight forward. Don't need to change too much at all.

It'll be the 2.x kernel at fault.
Guys, all I am saying is my hero, when rooted felt like it never fully worked for whatever reason be that due to the ROM or titanium not restoring market links properly or whatever and at the current moment, with my phone fully working and in warranty and eventually going to receive ICS I'm not quite ready to dive into rooting it

Latest