The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not sure what to do with my squad. Played 67 games last season so I basically have 2 full squads and then a couple of extra players but then someone like A.Johnson isnt highly rated in star rating but seems to always perform when I put him into the side..

28 games over the season - 9 goals, 9 assists and 4 MotM - average rating of 7.3

But then I could probably blow some money and get Bale who's 3 and a half star rated compared to A.Johnson who's 2 and a half rated.

Same with Milner tbh, performs well for me :s-smilie:
Reply 6121
Original post by Zerforax
Not sure what to do with my squad. Played 67 games last season so I basically have 2 full squads and then a couple of extra players but then someone like A.Johnson isnt highly rated in star rating but seems to always perform when I put him into the side..

28 games over the season - 9 goals, 9 assists and 4 MotM - average rating of 7.3

But then I could probably blow some money and get Bale who's 3 and a half star rated compared to A.Johnson who's 2 and a half rated.

Same with Milner tbh, performs well for me :s-smilie:

I'd just take the star rating system with a pinch of salt. My main striker varies from
3 star to 4 star depending on form and fitness (even though his actual attributes haven't really changed).
Original post by zxh800
I'd just take the star rating system with a pinch of salt. My main striker varies from
3 star to 4 star depending on form and fitness (even though his actual attributes haven't really changed).

Hmm in that case I'll stick to players who are performing for me then. Need to trim the squad a little.
Reply 6123
The star system is largely *******s.

Not only does it rely on your coach's judgement but it also works on CA and PA as opposed to the attributes relative to their position.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6124
Original post by mevidek
How would you get him to start scoring lots of goals?

I haven't played him for a while as I'm focusing on getting quite a few more points above Arsenal and Tottenham, who are joint 2nd place (two points below me).

(btw, I'm loaning him from Caen or Montpellier, not loaning him out to them)

I can't really give you any help there if I'm honest as I didn't do anything special with him. Just stuck him in his favourite position (AML) didn't change his preferred moves or anything and he always either turned up at the back post at the right time or dribbled past 4 players and sliding the ball past the keeper. He didn't score too many goals for me, think it was about 11/12 in the first season, but he gets a lot of assists. I play him as a standard winger in a 4-2-3-1 formation
Are there any 5* players? The highest I can find is 4.5*
Original post by Stirlo
I can't really give you any help there if I'm honest as I didn't do anything special with him. Just stuck him in his favourite position (AML) didn't change his preferred moves or anything and he always either turned up at the back post at the right time or dribbled past 4 players and sliding the ball past the keeper. He didn't score too many goals for me, think it was about 11/12 in the first season, but he gets a lot of assists. I play him as a standard winger in a 4-2-3-1 formation

I'll start playing him a bit more to give him more experience, and hopefully he'll start scoring more and assisting more.
Reply 6127
Just had the one thing guaranteed to derail any season.

XML parsing error.

FML :sigh:
Daft question I know, but where can you view Player Preferred Moves.... I cant find it anywhere :emo:
Reply 6129
Original post by Louis.
Just had the one thing guaranteed to derail any season.

XML parsing error.

FML :sigh:

Fear not! I kept getting the same thing and it turns out you can sort it!

Try deleting the Settings folder from the following program path as detailed below:

- Windows XP:

My Computer -> Local Disk (C -> Documents and Settings -> <username> -> Application Data -> Sports Interactive -> Football Manager 2012 -> Settings

- Windows Vista / Windows 7:

Computer -> Local Disk (C -> Users -> <username> -> AppData -> Roaming -> Sports Interactive -> Football Manager 2012 -> Settings

Please note saved progress may be lost.

Once deleted restart your computer and try launching the game again.

If you are unable to locate the folders please ensure that hidden folders are enabled as detailed below:

- Click on Start
- Select Control Panel
- Select Folder Options*
- Select View
- Select Show Hidden files and folders

*If Folder Options is not shown:

Windows XP/Vista : Select Classic View from the Control Panel.
Windows 7 : Select Large Icons from View By

Source - http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55050/t1695086-xml-parsing-error/

Temporarily remove all the saved games you want to keep from User\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\games before you do this though, as it will wipe all save game data. Just put them on your desktop or somewhere and copy them back into the folder once you've deleted the 'settings' folder.
Reply 6130
Original post by mevidek
Are there any 5* players? The highest I can find is 4.5*

It is relative to your squad/league/reputation. If you are in charge of a league 2 team and scout Heskey it is likely he could be a 5* player. If you are in charge of Barcelona then it is unlikely Messi will be a 5* player.
Reply 6131
Original post by Angry cucumber
Daft question I know, but where can you view Player Preferred Moves.... I cant find it anywhere :emo:

If I remember correctly it's on the 'Positions' tab of the player profile?
Original post by Mess.
It is relative to your squad/league/reputation. If you are in charge of a league 2 team and scout Heskey it is likely he could be a 5* player. If you are in charge of Barcelona then it is unlikely Messi will be a 5* player.

Oh right :tongue:
Reply 6133
Original post by Point!
-

Cheers man. I googled it and got those instructions but was worried about losing my save...which you sorted for me.

Much appreciated :yy:
Star ratings are *******s and you should learn to take your coaches' advice with a pinch of salt - my assistant manager thinks Messi is a good player, while Hazard is a quality player.

They also seem to only rate players from major nations, esp when you sign someone from football's lesser nations. It takes a long time for them to change their mind, even if that player becomes key and has great average ratings.
Original post by Kevmeister
Star ratings are *******s and you should learn to take your coaches' advice with a pinch of salt - my assistant manager thinks Messi is a good player, while Hazard is a quality player.

They also seem to only rate players from major nations, esp when you sign someone from football's lesser nations. It takes a long time for them to change their mind, even if that player becomes key and has great average ratings.

You need a new assistant manager :biggrin:
Original post by jackf1337
You need a new assistant manager :biggrin:

Besides his daft opinions which I don't listen to, he's really rather good, so that'll be a no. :wink:
I fired my old assistant and brought one in which had really high motivation stats. He's actually been really helpful for half time/full time talks since his advice is spot on for the vast majority of the time.
Original post by Kevmeister
Besides his daft opinions which I don't listen to, he's really rather good, so that'll be a no. :wink:

Haha, fair enough.

I had Sidnei Lobo in an old career with Aston Villa and midway through my second season he said Shay Given was past his best and should be sold o.0
Gonna quit till summer as my revision is suffering :frown:

Latest