Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey. i wanted to know why you need £9000 a year? It seems like alot of money for me considering that im staying at home.
    So could someone tell me why i will need all the money as i live close to my uni so i doubt transport will cost me alot either!
    HELP?!!

ReputationRep:
    where did you get 9000 pounds from?

No one should be spending 9000 pounds a year on living costs whilst at university.

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees?
    Wait, do you mean for living costs? Don't quite get your question :curious:

ReputationRep:
    tuition fees funnily enough...

ReputationRep:
    I think most of it comes from the wages of the academic staff, when you prorate it across the students that's a lot because these guys are rollin in cash.

Also running costs like electricity and whatever.

ReputationRep:
    somebody didn't budget.

ReputationRep:
    who said you need all that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzy12345)
    Tuition fees?
    Wait do you mean for living costs? Don't quite get your question :curious:
    Is 9000 to cover tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honey:))
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    That's what you were being asked. What do you think you need £9000 for? Where did you hear that you did?

you do not need £9000 to live on. More £6-7000. If you need to pay tuition fees then it'll vary by uni how much they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    That's what you were being asked. What do you think you need £9000 for? Where did you hear that you did?

you do not need £9000 to live on. More £6-7000. If you need to pay tuition fees then it'll vary by uni how much they are
    cause to study in london i thought you get a loan of £9000 and you have to pay it back once you earn over £21,000. When i went to an open day thats what they said that you need £9000 every year...

ReputationRep:
    LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Staffing the uni, energy, internet, equipment, expansions, scholarships, funding research(?), etc.

ReputationRep:
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Probably a question for 'the university administrator room' tbh... Though some places charge less than 9000.

ReputationRep:
    cause to study in london i thought you get a loan of £9000 and you have to pay it back once you earn over £21,000. When i went to an open day thats what they said that you need £9000 every year...
    ...for tuition fees :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Your school should have informed you about student finance... you appear to be clueless on this issue.

The £9000/year is for course tuition fees. You make an application on the Student Finance Wales or Student Finance England website (depending on where your permanent/home address is i.e. England or Wales) or you can request a hard copy to fill in and send through the post. After that you'll be issued a statement which shows you the loans/grants you are entitled to and what dates they'll be funded to your bank account etc.

Student Finance/Student Loans Company automatically pays the tuition fees to your university. The maintenance loans/grants (your living costs for rent, food etc.) will be paid directly into your account.

Depending on where you live it costs around £4000 - £6000 a year to live comfortably. This will all be sorted out when you apply for student finance.

If you are entitled to grants, DSA and bursaries etc. - these do not need to be repaid back. Only loans.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need £9000 a year. I doubt they are all talking crap so I think you must have misunderstood

You can get a fees loan to pay tuition which is up to £9000 then you can get £4,375 if you stay at home or £7,675 away from home in London for living costs. Those reflect actual costs of living. So depending on how you count it you need £4,375 or £13,375 (or a bit less if the uni don't charge £9000 but I think most in London are pretty close to it)

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you're ready for University life? You don't seem to have a clue what it entails...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pthaos)
    Are you sure you're ready for University life? You don't seem to have a clue what it entails...
    Lol looks like i dont! Lets see how it goes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.