The Student Room Group

Best A-level Science?!

I don't know which A-level science (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) I should take to complement Geography (I want to take Geography at Degree level).

I've been told that it's best to take at least one science - definitely no more for me! It's not that I don't like science, but I'm more of a Humanities person...

So which one do you think will best complement Geography at Uni? Which one will look the most valuable by itself? Which one actually relates to Geography the most?

*btw I'm predicted an A* at GCSE Science and I think I'm equally as good at all 3*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
my boyfriend's doing Geography at uni and he took chemistry until AS and biology until A2
Reply 2
Original post by supergrantholt
I don't know which A-level science (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) I should take to complement Geography (I want to take Geography at Degree level).

I've been told that it's best to take at least one science - definitely no more for me! It's not that I don't like science, but I'm more of a Humanities person...

So which one do you think will best complement Geography at Uni? Which one will look the most valuable by itself? Which one actually relates to Geography the most?

*btw I'm predicted an A* at GCSE Science and I think I'm equally as good at all 3*

I would personally have said biology, because the ecology stuff seems to match geography quite well...I do bio and chem and I can't see how chem would relate except with the very small chapters on green chemistry. Obviously I can't account for physics, but from what my friend has told me, it's more math than anything.
Reply 3
Ahh cool - which Uni is he at?
Did he drop Chemistry because he really hated it?

Sorry for all the questions! :wink:
I do all three sciences, and to complement geography i would say biology. We do a lot of field work, quadrats, sampling and that shizzle, which overlaps with geo which i don't think chem/phy does. But go with what you enjoy!
Reply 5
There is a branch of physics called Geophysics which is about the physics of the Earth, this includes gravity, heat flow, vibrations, electricity, electromagnetic waves, magnetism, fluid dynamics and mineral physics.

Taking physics may help you to understand the concepts above, if you were to develop an interest in them. I doubt it would give much of an advantage though, but you may find an 'insiders view' to physics helpful.
Reply 6
Cheers Larry, I was leaning towards Biology as well, but then I heard from a friend that apparently Uni's really appreciate Physics, as it's especially useful for the Physical side of things? But I can't see how Physics A-level is like the stuff in Physical Geography - eg. Plate tectonics, Glaciers, Volcanoes etc.
Reply 7
Thanks for the other replies as well! I'll cancel out Chemistry, because I don't really like it and it doesn't seem to relate at all to Geography!

I just don't know between Biology and Physics. Biology seems like the sensible choice (and I enjoy it) but then again as Cubic said Geophysics is obviously a main part of both subjects.
Reply 8
Thanks for the other replies as well! I'll cancel out Chemistry, because I don't really like it and it doesn't seem to relate at all to Geography!

I just don't know between Biology and Physics. Biology seems like the sensible choice (and I enjoy it) but then again as Cubic said Geophysics is obviously a main part of both subjects.

I think if you can, you need to grab a copy of the specification for each A-level. What if you choose Physics then find out 10% of the syllabus is on Geophysics? Also I would seriously suggest choosing the one you are more likely to enjoy, because it is very difficult to do well in an A-Level that you don't enjoy.
Reply 9
Original post by Larry31
What if you choose Physics then find out 10% of the syllabus is on Geophysics?

Even if 0% of the syllabus is on geophysics, you still need A-level physics to become a geophysicist. This is likely to be due to the concepts of physics looked at in A-level not being related to geophysics directly, but providing the knowledge which needs to be applied to the Earth.

I agree with Larry in that you should choose what you prefer, although if you like them both equally I see a larger benefit in taking physics. There is also a chance that you find Geophysics to be an interesting subject and in that case you won't regret taking physics as you'll need it to persue a career in geophysics.
Reply 10
Original post by Cubic
Even if 0% of the syllabus is on geophysics, you still need A-level physics to become a geophysicist. This is likely to be due to the concepts of physics looked at in A-level not being related to geophysics directly, but providing the knowledge which needs to be applied to the Earth.

I agree with Larry in that you should choose what you prefer, although if you like them both equally I see a larger benefit in taking physics. There is also a chance that you find Geophysics to be an interesting subject and in that case you won't regret taking physics as you'll need it to persue a career in geophysics.

Oh sorry, yeah I get what you're saying. I suppose that very much depends on what the OP wants to do then. In terms of looking at just the A-Level; I would have thought that Biology would have a more direct connection than Physics, but yeah in the long run it could be more helpful.
I will do that :biggrin: My local Sixth Form College is Hills Road, and they have the prospectus online.
You're right. I'll see how much of the Physics is stuff that I will be able to deal with and won't sob at the sight of it. But biology is certainly a subject I enjoy. Thanks :smile:

In terms of application - Physics might be looked upon more favourably in terms of academic bias. But I would say, from what I can infer here, that Biology would be better suited in terms of your enjoyment/ course overlap with the Ecology stuff.

I do all 3 Sciences and would not recommend you pick Physics unless you are a). genuinely interested in it or b). fairly hot with your maths (the combination tends to spawn best results) - this is from experience of friends who are Geoggers themselves; one takes Biology and loves it, the other takes Physics and is looking to drop it at the nearest opportunity!

Good luck though :grin:
Reply 12
Chemistry or Biology. But bewarned Chemistry is EVIL!

<3 x
Reply 13
All three of them have something that complements Geography. Physics if you are interested in Geophysics, Chemistry if you are interested in going into environmental science, oil, gas resources etc., Biology if you are interested in environmental science, paleontology, and so on.

Personally I'd say Chemistry is the most useful, but if you hate Chemistry, don't do it.
Reply 14
Original post by llys
All three of them have something that complements Geography. Physics if you are interested in Geophysics, Chemistry if you are interested in going into environmental science, oil, gas resources etc., Biology if you are interested in environmental science, paleontology, and so on.

Personally I'd say Chemistry is the most useful, but if you hate Chemistry, don't do it.

Definitely - Chem would be the best one to do objectively.... but ultimately go for the one which you feel you would enjoy the most and get the best marks in :smile:
Reply 15
Biology would complement geography most. A boy in my biology class does both and he finds that they really complement each others.

You should really just pick which you enjoy the most though, to be perfectly honest.
Reply 16
I would certainly say Biology :smile: I do biology and think it's really good - I wish I took geography to complement it -.-
Although if you really like maths, I would say physics, and somewhere inbetween is chemistry.. Depends how much you like maths :3
Reply 17
Biology has alot of ecology in it so i think it would best relate to geography. Also chemistry has alot of maths in it and i don't really see much of it that relates to geography.
Reply 18
I'd say Biology has the most to do with Geography. I did it at AS and we were doing a lot of quadrats and sampling how many daisies were on a field towards the end of the course...

I do Physics and Chemistry at the moment and I don't think either of the syllabuses that I'm doing have anything to do with Geography.

I guess have a look at your syllabus, what universities would prefer and what you would prefer? :smile:
Reply 19
Ahh cool - which Uni is he at?
Did he drop Chemistry because he really hated it?

Sorry for all the questions! :wink:

he's at cardiff and yeah he droped chemistry because it wasnt really relevant to geography at all (plus he hated it) and biology is alot more relevant in terms of ecology!

Quick Reply

Latest