The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moiraclaire

Cambridge ask for all your UMS scores, as do UCL

GOOD LUCK !

As do LSE (haha would know if you wernt too scared to apply!)
You decided between Warwick and UCL btw?
Original post by funkydee
As do LSE (haha would know if you wernt too scared to apply!)
You decided between Warwick and UCL btw?

I think UCL, hahah stop reminding me!

If I had got my A* in maths in August (rather than one mark off) I woudn't have needed an AAA as an insurance uni & wouldn't have had to apply to to Birmingham,
and could've applied to LSE.

that one UMS.....
I think UCL, hahah stop reminding me!

If I had got my A* in maths in August (rather than one mark off) I woudn't have needed an AAA as an insurance uni & wouldn't have had to apply to to Birmingham,
and could've applied to LSE.

that one UMS.....

oh right, so we'll both be in London :hello:

if UCL gave me an offer before LSE i could've been swayed!

Ohh that explains it! Pretty sure there was someone who got an LSE offer who's resitting for the A*. But its done now and Im guessing you've got the A* now!
oh right, so we'll both be in London :hello:

if UCL gave me an offer before LSE i could've been swayed!

Ohh that explains it! Pretty sure there was someone who got an LSE offer who's resitting for the A*. But its done now and Im guessing you've got the A* now!

Indeed we will (:

Yerh but in case I didn't get the A* on resit, I needed an AAA as a back up. But don't now YAY :smile:

CYA !
I averaged 91 last year for Maths! Was a bit low for Cambridge but was fine for LSE and UCL

Haha yeah I mentioned maths challenges in my PS. I mentioned the importance of Maths in Econ and how i'd like to find out more about mathematical applications

Yep I couldn't agree more that you have to mention 'the importance of Maths in Econ.....' in your PS, especially for UCL and LSE. I was rejected from both last week despite having a 4A* prediction and good UMS and GCSEs. I had a bit of a post-mortem discussion with my teachers :tongue: and the conclusion that we came to was that my PS didn't talk about the relevance of maths in economics enough. Good luck with your application, amg_22 :smile:
Reply 9625
You have every chance as long as you do amazingly this summer and read some economicsy books over the summer so you can write about them on your p.s. extra curric' and work experience also needed !

Cambridge ask for all your UMS scores, as do UCL. But you don't put them on your UCAS. LSE are big on good GCSEs but there is no automatic system, I have seen people get in with 6A*s at GCSE :smile:

GOOD LUCK !

thanks! but i'm still unsure about my C in history as even though i'm retaking it it's a different mark board so will i still have to include in on my UCAS even if i get a better grade? and if i do will it basically ruin all chances?
Reply 9626
Original post by jammy13579
Yep I couldn't agree more that you have to mention 'the importance of Maths in Econ.....' in your PS, especially for UCL and LSE. I was rejected from both last week despite having a 4A* prediction and good UMS and GCSEs. I had a bit of a post-mortem discussion with my teachers :tongue: and the conclusion that we came to was that my PS didn't talk about the relevance of maths in economics enough. Good luck with your application, amg_22 :smile:

did you do further maths? perhaps that is the reason you got rejected despite 4 A*'s
I don't understand....for monopolitic markets I thought that there was a low number or producers etc and that there were HIGH barriers to entry etc.. but according to tutor2u. this is what is says:

The *assumptions *of *monopolistic *competition *are *as *follows *-* *as *you *check *through *them *look *to * see *the *differences *between *this *mark *structure *and *perfect *competition. *
1. * There *are *many *producers *and *many *consumers *in *a *market *-* *the *concentration *ratio *is * low * *

2. * Consumers *perceive *that *there *are *non-*price *differences *among *the *competitors' *products * i.e. *there *is *product *differentiation *

3. * Producers *have *some *control *over *price *-* *they *are *␣price *makers␣ *rather *than *␣price * takers␣␣ * *
Price *and * Cost *
4. * The *barriers *to *entry *and *exit *into *and *out *of *the *market *are *low
Reply 9628
Original post by Hackett
I don't understand....for monopolitic markets I thought that there was a low number or producers etc and that there were HIGH barriers to entry etc.. but according to tutor2u. this is what is says:

The *assumptions *of *monopolistic *competition *are *as *follows *-* *as *you *check *through *them *look *to * see *the *differences *between *this *mark *structure *and *perfect *competition. *
1. * There *are *many *producers *and *many *consumers *in *a *market *-* *the *concentration *ratio *is * low * *

2. * Consumers *perceive *that *there *are *non-*price *differences *among *the *competitors' *products * i.e. *there *is *product *differentiation *

3. * Producers *have *some *control *over *price *-* *they *are *␣price *makers␣ *rather *than *␣price * takers␣␣ * *
Price *and * Cost *
4. * The *barriers *to *entry *and *exit *into *and *out *of *the *market *are *low

Monopolistic competition =/= Monopoly

(and did you seriously doubt what tutor2u has on it? :shock:)
Original post by JuKaMy
Monopolistic competition =/= Monopoly

(and did you seriously doubt what tutor2u has on it? :shock:)

hah yer I continued reading and realised I was being thick.

cheers!
While I'm on the topic of Micro A2 can anyone recomend some revision material? other than tutor2u?
Reply 9631
Original post by fuzzybear
personal statement, teacher's ref, you never know with edinburgh, but can i ask what your gcses are?

2a*, 5A's, 3B's. As you can see, not really up to scratch for these Uni's however, I got the offers so that's all that counts really!
Original post by Hackett

Price *and * Cost *

I swear this is oligopoly ?
Original post by amg_22
did you do further maths? perhaps that is the reason you got rejected despite 4 A*'s

I'm doing A Level Further Maths, so that probably wasn't it!
Reply 9634
I'm doing A Level Further Maths, so that probably wasn't it!

Wow. I know how you feel though. I didn't even apply to LSE or UCL. But I have 3 A* predictions. A friend of mine who got into LSE for Math + Eco has one A* pred and I have better GCSEs :L I think we are just the unlucky people! :L Where are you going then? or gap year?
Reply 9635

Monopolistic competition

I'm not too sure since my micro is a bit dodgy, but wouldn't the concentration ratio be high if it were an oligopoly?

Original post by Yash13
Wow. I know how you feel though. I didn't even apply to LSE or UCL. But I have 3 A* predictions. A friend of mine who got into LSE for Math + Eco has one A* pred and I have better GCSEs :L I think we are just the unlucky people! :L Where are you going then? or gap year?

Well I've tried to get over it by convincing myself that there is an element of luck with all applications, especially when all applicants have really good predictions/grades :tongue: I'm reconsidering my options right now, but it is likely that I'll be off to Warwick in Sept :smile:
Reply 9637
Well I've tried to get over it by convincing myself that there is an element of luck with all applications, especially when all applicants have really good predictions/grades :tongue: I'm reconsidering my options right now, but it is likely that I'll be off to Warwick in Sept :smile:

Yeah. Well congratulations Warwick is one of the best in the nation and internationally for Economics. :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Monopolistic competition

this
I'm not too sure since my micro is a bit dodgy, but wouldn't the concentration ratio be high if it were an oligopoly?

Nice, see you in september then :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending