The Student Room Group

What do you Brits have against Americans?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kdm4life
I agree, but nobody actually BELIEVES that stuff, they may just say it as a joke. It just seems to me that British people(and apparently everybody else in the world) actually BELIEVE everything they say about Americans. Of course there's some truth to it, as there is in every stereotype, but I think that British people have a particular dislike of Americans over anyone else.

America is the 3rd fattest country in the world. That's where the 'stereotype' comes from .
Original post by :)ella
Completely 100% agree!

Much love :biggrin:
Reply 42
I just find Americans a whole lot classier.
Yeah because Americans don't stereotype the British in any way...
Meh, don't worry. You could be French. They are made fun of by everyone.
Are you not stereotyping the British by saying so?

I dislike the overt patriotism and neocolonialism found in America. I dislike American politics, particularly that one of their biggest parties is anti-abortion and anti-homosexual. I don't like the fact that Americans seem to think that they're better than everyone else.

I spend much of my life 'picking on' the French and Americans. Most of the time it's just banter, particularly where the French are concerned, because all the French people I've met have been lovely. Where America is concerned? Much of it is still banter, but there's a lot of bitterness and anger underlying the humour, and I think it's similar for most of the people I know.
Reply 46
Well, I think it's the whole "we're the best nation on earth" quotes that seem to be said by a lot of Americans. Now, don't get me wrong being patriotic can be good, but constantly?... It's like you're trying to reassure yourselves all the time.

It's the fact that people like Sarah Palin may have access to nuclear arming codes in the future.

For me, you kind of seem like a selfish people that only care about the people around you rather than the rest if the country unless there is a reason for you to come together. By this I'm referring to you healthcare system.

It's how much religion (particularly Christianity) has an influence in your politics, despite what your constitution says.

Your gun laws are questionable.

The death penalty still exists there.

You create sports that only you guys play and call yourselves world champions.

You obesity levels are so high yet whenever somebody tries to encourage a healthier lifestyle, they get reactions like "I don't wanna eat no salad :colonhash: ".

Now, these are just my opinions so feel free to disagree.
its a stereotype not a rule, shrug it off as a bit of friendly rivalry we have our stereotypes of you, you have yours of us..
and besides ive never met anyone who actively hates americans they might heartily disaprove of your countries stance on some issues but thats it
Original post by amime
Well, I think it's the whole "we're the best nation on earth" quotes that seem to be said by a lot of Americans. Now, don't get me wrong being patriotic can be good, but constantly?... It's like you're trying to reassure yourselves all the time.

It's the fact that people like Sarah Palin may have access to nuclear arming codes in the future.

For me, you kind of seem like a selfish people that only care about the people around you rather than the rest if the country unless there is a reason for you to come together. By this I'm referring to you healthcare system.

It's how much religion (particularly Christianity) has an influence in your politics, despite what your constitution says.

Your gun laws are questionable.

The death penalty still exists there.

You create sports that only you guys play and call yourselves world champions.

You obesity levels are so high yet whenever somebody tries to encourage a healthier lifestyle, they get reactions like "I don't wanna eat no salad :colonhash: ".

Now, these are just my opinions so feel free to disagree.

I agree, it seems particularly arrogant of the Americans to think they are the best country on earth when so few of them have actually travelled, let alone learnt a language or lived abroad. On what basis do they know they're the best? There are plenty of countries in northern and western Europe with the same high living standards, but less of the smugness that Americans have. The sports thing sums it up really :tongue:
Reply 49
Original post by Oli-Ol
Are you not stereotyping the British by saying so?

I dislike the overt patriotism and neocolonialism found in America. I dislike American politics, particularly that one of their biggest parties is anti-abortion and anti-homosexual. I don't like the fact that Americans seem to think that they're better than everyone else.

I spend much of my life 'picking on' the French and Americans. Most of the time it's just banter, particularly where the French are concerned, because all the French people I've met have been lovely. Where America is concerned? Much of it is still banter, but there's a lot of bitterness and anger underlying the humour, and I think it's similar for most of the people I know.

Which is exactly what im getting at. I can take a joke, and even some light hearted back and forth insults, but where does the anger and bitterness come from? Some one answer this question! Its not like we've done you any personal harm. I could understand countries who's affairs we've intervened on hating us, but from the country who is supposed to be our biggest ally(and if not biggest, atleast in the top 3) its a bit disconcerting.
Reply 50
Im American, and I've always been fascinated by other cultures, particularly the British culture. Naturally, I started doing research, and came across numerous(at least a dozen that i actually watched, but there were plenty more) Youtube videos of British people bashing Americans. At first, I thought these were isolated incidents, then I discovered this site, and also discovered that arguably the majority of the people on this site also seem to have some sort of deep seated hatred of Americans. I didnt let it perturb me however, and decided to Study Abroad in London at KCL. I got there in a joyous mood, but that mood was soon changed when I realised that me and my friends were automatically being categorized as fat, dumb, and unaware of world events, purely because we were American(We are the opposite of all three). We were also criticized for not understanding British slang and for "not speaking proper English".

Can someone please explain to me where this is coming from. I dont like to make generalizations, but all of the experiences that I have had with British people have involved them making fun of the US in some way, shape, or form. Is it jealousy? I personally dont see what there is to be jealous about, but I cant really think of any other reason. I know that you all are not like this, but why do British people take the worst possible stereotypes of Americans and push them on all of us?

Jealousy? :lol:

It works both ways, mate. You get called fat, we get called posh. You get called stupid, we're told we have bad teeth. By your logic, does this mean that America's jealous of us?
Which is exactly what im getting at. I can take a joke, and even some light hearted back and forth insults, but where does the anger and bitterness come from? Some one answer this question! Its not like we've done you any personal harm. I could understand countries who's affairs we've intervened on hating us, but from the country who is supposed to be our biggest ally(and if not biggest, atleast in the top 3) its a bit disconcerting.

Our point is that there isn't genuine anger and bitterness, only from an idiotic minority such as can be found in any country including America, and whose prejudice we are all the victim of from time to time.

Americans are not a particular target of British hatred. The Brits spend more time hating the Germans and Muslims, while Americans themselves probably get a worse press in the middle east and countries with a communist history. The online hatred you've come across doesn't reflect the reality I don't think.

No personal harm?

It's because of America interfering in other countries with its 'I'm better than everyone else' attitude and its cloak-and-dagger neocolonialism that has got us into this mess.
America has been involved in wars in Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan with no right to be. Even if this didn't affect me personally, I'd be annoyed about it. I can see my neighbour beating up his children and be angry and bitter towards him even though it didn't affect me, can't I?
As it happens, the fact that America (and therefore Britain) are in Afghanistan has torn my family apart. I have no respect whatsoever for American foreign policy.

Britain is supposed to be America's biggest ally? How about America does some of the allying for a change? Instead of us having to follow you lot into wars that are nothing to do with us, and instead of you extraditing British citizens to be imprisoned for something that they shouldn't have been convicted of, how about you give something back and stop treating us like your tea boy?

Incidentally, it's not just the British who 'have something against' the Americans. Most of the world does.

And don't call me a 'Brit'. I'm a person of partially Scottish, Irish and English descent, not an award.

I can't stand most American accents. They're loud, drawling and overbearing (British snobbery!) and it messes with my synaesthesia. I really hate American English. It's 'colour', not 'color'. It's 'grey', not 'gray'.

The American school system... don't even get me started. Your school system seems to teach people so little about the outside world. Many Americans seem amazingly ignorant about other cultures and religions and so on (I'm not saying that this is all Americans, but it's the stereotype). Some (not mentioning Sarah Palin) can't even tell the difference between a country and a continent.

Linked to the above is the arrogant assumption many Americans make that everyone else in the world values the same things as they do and wants to live like them when in reality some people can't imagine anything worse.

Then there is the fact that right wing, extreme Christianity is such a powerful force over there. What is with the people ranting that Harry Potter books are evil and trying to make people live according to their religions rules-e.g. no abortion and no gay marriage etc?

The right to bear arms-why do normal people need guns?

The hyper patriotism-everyone likes to think their country is good but Americans take it too far. You won't find many other places in the world where most houses have the countries flag outside and kids are made to swear an oath of allegiance at school before they are old enough to decide for themselves.

The fact that some Americans still insist they saved the UK during the second world war. Yes your country getting involved helped and maybe ended the war sooner but the rest of the allied countries-especially Russia-would have finished the Nazi's eventually.

The fact that George W Bush convinced our government to involve our country in a war that wasn't our problem and which the vast majority of the UK population oppose.

The fact that the US government thinks it has the right to tell other countries what to do-for example telling Iran and North Korea they can't have nukes (don't get me wrong I hate nukes but it's not up to the USA to say who can have them)

That basically sums up my feelings for America.

It would seem from this that I'm ridiculously anti-American. I'm not. America has produced some of the best musicals/books/films/concepts etc in the last couple of centuries. Many Americans are absolutely lovely- welcoming, interested in other cultures and very liberal. If I was talking to an American I hope they'd find me the same. But there is a lot of bitterness and anger towards America, not just in Britain but throughout the world, and I hope that went some way towards explaining it.
Reply 53
Original post by Oli-Ol
No personal harm?

It's because of America interfering in other countries with its 'I'm better than everyone else' attitude and its cloak-and-dagger neocolonialism that has got us into this mess.
America has been involved in wars in Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan with no right to be. Even if this didn't affect me personally, I'd be annoyed about it. I can see my neighbour beating up his children and be angry and bitter towards him even though it didn't affect me, can't I?
As it happens, the fact that America (and therefore Britain) are in Afghanistan has torn my family apart. I have no respect whatsoever for American foreign policy.

Britain is supposed to be America's biggest ally? How about America does some of the allying for a change? Instead of us having to follow you lot into wars that are nothing to do with us, and instead of you extraditing British citizens to be imprisoned for something that they shouldn't have been convicted of, how about you give something back and stop treating us like your tea boy?

Incidentally, it's not just the British who 'have something against' the Americans. Most of the world does.

And don't call me a 'Brit'. I'm a person of partially Scottish, Irish and English descent, not an award.

I can't stand most American accents. They're loud, drawling and overbearing (British snobbery!) and it messes with my synaesthesia. I really hate American English. It's 'colour', not 'color'. It's 'grey', not 'gray'.

That basically sums up my feelings for America.

It would seem from this that I'm ridiculously anti-American. I'm not. America has produced some of the best musicals/books/films/concepts etc in the last couple of centuries. Many Americans are absolutely lovely- welcoming, interested in other cultures and very liberal. If I was talking to an American I hope they'd find me the same. But there is a lot of bitterness and anger towards America, not just in Britain but throughout the world, and I hope that went some way towards explaining it.

Lmao I really cant argue with anything you just said.
Reply 54
Original post by redferry
Surely the Brits dislike the French more?

Er, really? It's not 1600 anymore, we don't dislike the French (even if they are our "dearest enemies"...)
Reply 55
Original post by ameritus
Er, hate? It's not 1600 anymore, we don't hate the French (even if they are our "dearest enemies"...)

Yeah but we don;t hate the Americans either. This is my point, its all just joshing.
The majority don't intend offence. I would say France, Germany, Poland, China and India are perhaps more negatively and unfairly stereotyped than anywhere else in the world, by people in the UK, though. The amount of times I've heard remarks about Nazism (sadly some people refer to modern Germans in this way) or people complaining about people coming over to the UK from Eastern Europe for employment is disgusting. It makes them feel so unwelcome here, and it is an embarrassment to Britain. So in comparison, America isn't criticised (nor does it/any country deserve to be) as much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Oli-Ol
It's 'colour', not 'color'. It's 'grey', not 'gray'.

I forgot to mention spelling! I mean, "aluminum"? Really? :tongue: the pronunciation irritates me too, like saying "I-raq" instead of "ir-RAQ" :tongue:

I disagree that Americans are very liberal, look at their attitude to abortion.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
The majority don't intend offence. I would say France, Germany, Poland, China and India are perhaps more negatively and unfairly stereotyped than anywhere else in the world, by people in the UK, though. The amount of times I've heard remarks about Nazism (sadly some people refer to modern Germans in this way) or people complaining about people coming over to the UK from Eastern Europe for employment is disgusting. It makes them feel so unwelcome here, and it is an embarrassment to Britain. So in comparison, America isn't criticised (nor does it/any country deserve to be) as much.

You're right, as a Brit with some German links I'm appalled by the tabloid-encouraged practice of writing off arguably the most productive, prosperous and generally well mannered country in Europe as Nazis :frown:
Reply 59
A lot of British people, of all classes, ages, sexes and incomes are simply uncouth people of larger or more reigned in degrees. Regardless of how it is covered up, it is still there.
The British are often tetchy, inwardly festering, boring, given to awkwardly overt displays of aggression, posturing, pseudo-intellectualism, pseudo-sophistication, faux displays of 'down to earthedness', desperate and half baked humour... the list goes on. They are the reason that bands like Radiohead exist- some young, clever, good, people are suffocated and disappointed by the blinkered, cliche-dependent (cream teas/ London buses etc) British. Because the British over a certain age associate fun and drink as being synonomous, the less drink-obsessed USA is attacked on a different front instead- for liking its food slightly more. Overlooking the healthy people of such places as California, the British sit on a self appointed pedestal of sef loathing masqerading as superiority. Having no empire, the British naturally decide to hate those countries who still do have a sizeable land mass. The British complain about jobs moving abroad and yet they rarely buy clothes that are made in Britain.

Americans, do not waste a second thinking that the British are necessarily more gentlemanly, cultured etc than you. I suggest that anyone who doubts me studies the work of American lyricist Van Dyke Parks as one example, who, in his 20s, worked with Brian Wilson on the Smile album.

Quick Reply

Latest