The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by Jelton
Thank you very much for your informative answer :smile:

Yeah I think it's good that there is a strong emphasis on the fundamental sciences first before building up to having more and more clinical experience - it kind of makes sense if you think about it as like "stepping stones".. as you say being able to fully appreciate what you're witnessing when you do get the clinical experience. It sort of puts my mind at ease as well knowing that there is still definitely an emphasis on clinical skills teaching during first year.

How much of this would you say there is on an average week when compared with lectures/labs?

We have generally 2 hours of clinical skills a week when we learn how to do practical things i.e. manual handling, blood pressure, neurological examinations etc (the clinical skills generally link with the lectures we do at the moment. if we do upper limb in anatomy, we do examination of the upper limb in clinical skills).

Regarding lectures themselves, in most anatomy lectures we have clinical aspects thrown in. Such as X is important during surgery or Y injury results in footdrop etc. When we finish the whole limb, we have an overview lecture and a lecture where we go through important clinical stuff (so everything that was mentioned before is put together so you can understand the main clinical problems that can appear regarding that limb). And I think there are 2 lectures given by consultants coming from edinburgh regarding limb injuries.operations etc (but those lectures are not part of exams, they are for our interest).

From my point of view, this is clinically focused. I don;t know how other UK unis work, but back home, the med schools do all normal anatomy (with no clinical examples) in the first 3 years, and then they do pathology in the following 3 years. So I think the system at St. Andrews is much better.

Besides that, every monday there are lectures offered by consultants on different topics. These are mainly for 3rd years, but anyone is welcomed and they have a nice clinical focus.

other societies have guest consultants to talk about their work (again clinically relevant) - surgical society=surgical consultants; teddy bear hospital = peadiatrics; another socity (friends of MSF maybe) have letures about disease in africa etc. So if you really want to get involved, there are plenty of opportunities.
If you look back a few pages, I did post a random weeks timetable from first year, if that is any help to you..

Oh and what is worst about St Andrews?? For me it is the fact they still treat the year group as a whole like school pupils, with yellow card punishment system etc. I'd also say there are some issues with consistancy between teaching in clinical skills and also dissection. We all might get taught slightly different ways of checking Blood Pressure for example, and then get marked down in the exam if you dont do something another way. But the school is aware of the issue and working on improving it!

Thats about it for me.. oooh apart from lack of M and S simply food store or Dominos!! :wink:
Reply 1602
Original post by polldoll

Thats about it for me.. oooh apart from lack of M and S simply food store or Dominos!! :wink:

There's no Dominos?!?!? I may have to withdraw :tongue:
Original post by polldoll
If you look back a few pages, I did post a random weeks timetable from first year, if that is any help to you..

Oh and what is worst about St Andrews?? For me it is the fact they still treat the year group as a whole like school pupils, with yellow card punishment system etc. I'd also say there are some issues with consistancy between teaching in clinical skills and also dissection. We all might get taught slightly different ways of checking Blood Pressure for example, and then get marked down in the exam if you dont do something another way. But the school is aware of the issue and working on improving it!

no dominos :eek: that is an integral part of my diet atm :tongue: darn studying makes me eat too much!!!

thanks for answering that question, i was sure nobody would :tongue: i suppose its different for you though, having been through university already? because im not sure i'd notice that kind of discipline cause ive been through it for the last 14 or so years :redface:

i only asked it because ive found sometimes people emphasise the good bits about somewhere, but manage to leave out the bad bits which you should take into consideration as well :redface:
I agree, everything in life isnt perfect, and people should be able to identify flaws, and accept them! You are right though, I see things differently, aged 32 having been a student for 10 years before even starting medicine!!

Regarding Dominos, there is one in Dundee (20 min drive away) and I have been known (only once may I add.. ) to specifically drive to Dundee for Dominos! So make friends with a driver or even make sure your academic mum has a car and you never know where those family day trips may end up!!
Px
Original post by Cottrill
I got a letter from them with an information booklet about St A, which also contained information about visit days, you should get one soon after your offer, but they send them to every person they offer, so it could be quite a while before you get it. I firmed them as soon as I got my offer, but they still sent it, so it doesn't matter if you've firmed you'll still get it.

If I firm the offer in UCAS, is it still possible to change later? I got two conditional offers. Should I choose one firm, and another one "insurance"?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ukmed108
If I firm the offer in UCAS, is it still possible to change later? I got two conditional offers. Should I choose one firm, and another one "insurance"?

I've been told by careers advisors that it's very hard to change your decision once you've firmed somewhere. You're much better thinking about it and then deciding on your firm and insurance, rather than picking the wrong one and trying to switch :smile:

I'd wait and think rather than rushing in, you've got until the 9th of May. My VI form Tutor said that once you firm on UCAS, you have to go to that uni if you meet the grades it's essentially a legally binding contract for you to go and them to give you a place, unless you call them when you've got the grades and they agree to release you. So take your time and make sure you make the right choice for you, not where your friends are going, where your parents want you to go or where is highest in the league tables, the uni you want to spend 3/5/6 years at.
I'd wait and think rather than rushing in, you've got until the 9th of May. My VI form Tutor said that once you firm on UCAS, you have to go to that uni if you meet the grades it's essentially a legally binding contract for you to go and them to give you a place, unless you call them when you've got the grades and they agree to release you. So take your time and make sure you make the right choice for you, not where your friends are going, where your parents want you to go or where is highest in the league tables, the uni you want to spend 3/5/6 years at.

Cottrill,
Thanks for your advice. I pretty much decided to choose St. Andrews. If I firm St. Andrews and insurance SGUL, am I obligaed to accept SGUL if I don't get St. Andrews? Here is the explaination from UCAS:

Insurance acceptance

If your firm choice is a conditional offer, you can accept another offer as an insurance choice. Your insurance choice can be conditional or unconditional and acts as a back-up, so if you don't meet the conditions for your firm choice but meet the conditions for your insurance, you will be committed to the insurance choice. You can only have one insurance choice.

The conditions for your insurance choice can be higher than your firm choice, but be aware that if you're not accepted by your firm choice, it's unlikely that you will be accepted for an insurance choice that requests higher grades.

You don't have to accept an insurance choice - if you're not sure about any of your other choices once you have accepted a firm choice, you're not obliged to accept one as an insurance option.
Cottrill,
Thanks for your advice. I pretty much decided to choose St. Andrews. If I firm St. Andrews and insurance SGUL, am I obligaed to accept SGUL if I don't get St. Andrews? Here is the explaination from UCAS:

Insurance acceptance

If your firm choice is a conditional offer, you can accept another offer as an insurance choice. Your insurance choice can be conditional or unconditional and acts as a back-up, so if you don't meet the conditions for your firm choice but meet the conditions for your insurance, you will be committed to the insurance choice. You can only have one insurance choice.

The conditions for your insurance choice can be higher than your firm choice, but be aware that if you're not accepted by your firm choice, it's unlikely that you will be accepted for an insurance choice that requests higher grades.

You don't have to accept an insurance choice - if you're not sure about any of your other choices once you have accepted a firm choice, you're not obliged to accept one as an insurance option.

In short yes, if you miss out on the grades for St A and make the grades for SGUL you have to go to SGUL, unless you call them and they say you don't have to, but don't rely on that, if more people missed the grades or rejected them than they expected then they may not have an oversubscribed course and therefore won't release you and will make you go.
Reply 1610
Cottrill,

Insurance acceptance

I'm not sure if you HAVE to accept it... In the end they can't really force you to go to their university. I suppose you can withdrawn. Just email them and ask. But in the end, I myself could drop uni right now. They can't force me to do what they want :smile:
Original post by teafil
I'm not sure if you HAVE to accept it... In the end they can't really force you to go to their university. I suppose you can withdrawn. Just email them and ask. But in the end, I myself could drop uni right now. They can't force me to do what they want :smile:

You're right, you don't have to take it, they have to take you, my mistake. However if you make the grades for your firm or they accept you despite not making the grades, you can't then go to your insurance. Either you withdraw altogether or you ask them to release you in which case you go to clearing and aren't able to get your insurance offer.
Reply 1612
You're right, you don't have to take it, they have to take you, my mistake. However if you make the grades for your firm or they accept you despite not making the grades, you can't then go to your insurance. Either you withdraw altogether or you ask them to release you in which case you go to clearing and aren't able to get your insurance offer.

I thought he is keen on St. Andrews, but is worried that if he doesnt get his firm, he will then HAVE to take the insurance. So I was explaining that if he misses his firm, he can reject the insurance.

If he means something else, sorry for the confusion.
Original post by teafil
I thought he is keen on St. Andrews, but is worried that if he doesnt get his firm, he will then HAVE to take the insurance. So I was explaining that if he misses his firm, he can reject the insurance.

If he means something else, sorry for the confusion.

I think you're right, they can't make you go, I'm just uncertain about the bit that I put in bold from the UCAS website which says you'll be committed to your insurance. If he doesn't want to go to his insurance then he doesn't have to put an insurance choice at all.
In my opinion, if you really wanted to do medicine then you'd go anywhere to do it, so you'd take the insurance if they offered you a place.
Reply 1614
I think you're right, they can't make you go, I'm just uncertain about the bit that I put in bold from the UCAS website which says you'll be committed to your insurance. If he doesn't want to go to his insurance then he doesn't have to put an insurance choice at all.
In my opinion, if you really wanted to do medicine then you'd go anywhere to do it, so you'd take the insurance if they offered you a place.

I think he's canadian, with an offer from a canadian uni as well. Perhaps if he doesn't make it to st andrews, he'd rather stay in canada than come to uk for SGUL. I'm pretty sure he wants to do medicine, and I do understand his way of thinking - he has enough offers in order to be picky :smile:
Original post by teafil
I think he's canadian, with an offer from a canadian uni as well. Perhaps if he doesn't make it to st andrews, he'd rather stay in canada than come to uk for SGUL. I'm pretty sure he wants to do medicine, and I do understand his way of thinking - he has enough offers in order to be picky :smile:

I think I understand the situation, he still has to take his final exams and in order of preference he has:
1. St A
2-X. Canadian Uni(s)
X+1. SGUL

The only bit I'm unsure about now is that medical schools tend to ask for the same grades, SGUL are asking for AAA as are St A so assuming they ask for the same Canadian grades then if he misses out on St A the odds of getting and offer from SGUL are practically 0, so it really doesn't matter. In answer to the original question, The most likely answer is NO, you don't have to go, but CALL UCAS to make sure of that! If you could post back what they say so we know, that would be great :smile:
I think I understand the situation, he still has to take his final exams and in order of preference he has:
1. St A
2-X. Canadian Uni(s)
X+1. SGUL

The only bit I'm unsure about now is that medical schools tend to ask for the same grades, SGUL are asking for AAA as are St A so assuming they ask for the same Canadian grades then if he misses out on St A the odds of getting and offer from SGUL are practically 0, so it really doesn't matter. In answer to the original question, The most likely answer is NO, you don't have to go, but CALL UCAS to make sure of that! If you could post back what they say so we know, that would be great :smile:

I firmed St. Andrews and insured SGUL. Actually, I have met the grades in the condition for both universities. Only left are the criminal and health clearance.
Hi everyone,

was wondering if when you filled in the accomadation form you could just write down which specific hall you would prefer to live in? I know the form specifically says do not add anything as it may invalidate the form but are they really that strict?

Also what is the best self-catered standard halls?
Thanks!
Albany!! Thats the best! (and I'm not just saying that!) I really like living here, and am coming back next year too! You can maybe put a comment about financially needing these halls??
I posted some photos on the facebook group if that helps?
Px
Original post by crumbs_23
Hi everyone,

was wondering if when you filled in the accomadation form you could just write down which specific hall you would prefer to live in? I know the form specifically says do not add anything as it may invalidate the form but are they really that strict?

Also what is the best self-catered standard halls?
Thanks!

I don't think you should put anything on the form, otherwise you may get put to the bottom of the pile. Instead you could put it on the e-mail you send them with the form saying, as polldoll said, that you need it for financial reasons or some other excuse, but St A do say that there isn't much standard self-catered for first years.

I firmed St. Andrews and insured SGUL. Actually, I have met the grades in the condition for both universities. Only left are the criminal and health clearance.

Well if you call St Andrews and tell them you've met the conditions for the offer then they should change it to unconditional, although you may have to send them proof of this. What do you have to do for the criminal and health clearance, from what I understand you get a health check when you get there at some point during freshers week and I'd assume you'll do your CRB there as well. Can a current student confirm this? In any case, well done on getting in, hopefully I'll see you in September!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending