The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cubic
Balmer series is for x -> 2. Try using the Brackett series which is for x -> 4.

Also, there isn't a need for using a formula.

Thank you!! :smile:

Yes, now feel a tiny bit stupid.. :tongue: Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 361
Original post by loopy786
Thank you!! :smile:

Yes, now feel a tiny bit stupid.. :tongue: Thanks. :biggrin:

You're welcome, and it's only easy if you know what to do so don't worry about it.
Reply 362
Original post by Me123456789
hey have you found the answer, do you have any hints???

Hey, nope :frown: What about yourself?

I really wanna give up :tongue:
Anyone that can help on Gold? I've tried various things like different chemotrophic bateria and different names of halobacterium and things to do with salinity etc. to no avail. :frown:

I've even looked up studies on bacteria in conditions of high salinity.

Is it something to do with evaporation lakes, or reservoirs or something? And also, are they sulfur-reducing bacteria or something?

Any hints would be appreciated.
I had to choose April to not be on form. :tongue:
Reply 364
try looking up yellow boy :smile:

I'm stuck on Rg, no idea what to do :frown:
Original post by MartaEwa

I genuinely love you. <3 THANK YOU

Okay, now that I'm on Rg, if I get anywhere, I'll help you!!
Reply 366
Original post by loopy786
Anyone that can help on Gold? I've tried various things like different chemotrophic bateria and different names of halobacterium and things to do with salinity etc. to no avail. :frown:

I've even looked up studies on bacteria in conditions of high salinity.

Is it something to do with evaporation lakes, or reservoirs or something? And also, are they sulfur-reducing bacteria or something?

Any hints would be appreciated.
I had to choose April to not be on form. :tongue:

we know it is a halo bacteria as it has a red color but I tried all species of halo bacteria and not working any help would be appreciated or PM me the answer
Original post by nihar97
we know it is a halo bacteria as it has a red color but I tried all species of halo bacteria and not working any help would be appreciated or PM me the answer

What do you think might give a red colour? Then link that to bacteria someway.
Reply 368
Original post by ajsullivan
What do you think might give a red colour? Then link that to bacteria someway.

iron ions give it a red color and the pigment is called bacteriorhodopsin
tried both they don't work
Reply 369
for those stuck on the Rg question, it is indeed about 13c nmr and different environments for carbon, thats the biggest hint I can give you without telling you the answer straight away. I can confirm the answer is an integer between 3000 and 4000 as previously suggested.

the gold question had me stumped for a while, the answer was quite specific that it was a name of an organism, but im no biologist so i cant tell you whether its a genus or a tree or whatever level it was classed. im guessing its the actual name of that organism, belonging to the Archaea kingdom. I typed the coordinates into google maps and went from there. it is hugely related to iron :wink:

feels good to have completed it, good luck all :biggrin:
Original post by MartaEwa

It is between 3400 and 3500. No have fun using trial and error - you are oly cheating yourself!
Finally got through this month's challenge! with lots of hints....this chem challenge makes me feel that my education is useless since I'm already an A-level student.:frown: because we only study topics that are gonna come out in the a-levels, which is really sad, seriously :'( *sobs*
Original post by ivana_a.h
Finally got through this month's challenge! with lots of hints....this chem challenge makes me feel that my education is useless since I'm already an A-level student.:frown: because we only study topics that are gonna come out in the a-levels, which is really sad, seriously :'( *sobs*

No offense but I am in Year 11 and did the challenge on April 1st. You shouldn't just follow your education, I always learn extra things through research in books, on the Internet and from friends. Widen your horizons, maybe :cool:
Reply 373

Original post by GreenLantern1
No offense but I am in Year 11 and did the challenge on April 1st. You shouldn't just follow your education, I always learn extra things through research in books, on the Internet and from friends. Widen your horizons, maybe :cool:

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein

No need to get angry lol
Reply 375
Can someone please give me a hint for the entry level question
Reply 376
Original post by erndog
Can someone please give me a hint for the entry level question

Fool.
Someone please tell me the answer for gold! It's driving me insane, i've tried all sorts. Was quite pleased with how well i was doing until now too!
Reply 378
Original post by Phillip Cowman
Someone please tell me the answer for gold! It's driving me insane, i've tried all sorts. Was quite pleased with how well i was doing until now too!

Search 'Yellow Boy', this will lead you to the answer, otherwise look at the spoiler for the answer.

Spoiler

Original post by Cubic
Search 'Yellow Boy', this will lead you to the answer, otherwise look at the spoiler for the answer.

Spoiler

Thanks! As for the last question, am i supposed to multiply the carbon nmr results of theses molecules together or something?

Quick Reply

Latest