The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Einheri
Of course boxing is a martial art! "Martial" = of Mars, the Roman god of war/fighting; "Art" = from Latin ars meaning skill.

I wish I knew how many times you have said that on TSR, it's all you seem to say. :toofunny:
Original post by TheJ0ker
I wish I knew how many times you have said that on TSR, it's all you seem to say. :toofunny:

I know, I know. I'll stop saying it when people stop saying "boxing/wrestling isn't a martial art". It's just . . . GRRRRR! A pet peeve of mine. :biggrin:

Yeah I understand what you mean, I live in Sheffield and I thought it would be like that too when I started kickboxing but when I first went everyone was really friendly and the instructors would have never put me in the ring sparring until I was ready. Tbh most cocky idiots wouldn't last 2 sessions at a good boxing gym, everyone who is there, is there to work hard not to look hard. I just looked on the internet to find one in Sheffield then I rang up and talked to one of the instructors. Also when I first went it was with a friend which was really good, made the whole place less intimidating when you first walk in, it also means you have a partner you know when you do drills.

Hey, are there any MMA gyms in Sheffield? I know of The Forge but haven't been able to find its website so i'm not sure if it has closed down or not. I'm moving back to England (unfortunately) in May and am looking for somewhere to train for the next six months or so. I'd ideally go back to Gracie Barra Midlands in Mansfield, but it depends where I can find a job really. Any suggestions? Needs BJJ classes, preferably with wrestling and/or Judo classes too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
I know, I know. I'll stop saying it when people stop saying "boxing/wrestling isn't a martial art". It's just . . . GRRRRR! A pet peeve of mine. :biggrin:

well wrestling certainly isnt..
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
well wrestling certainly isnt..

"Wrestling is the foundation of all fighting" - George Silver, 16th C. English Master of Arms

But no learning to pick people up and smash them to the floor isn't "proper fighting" because they don't play patty cake and dance around doing kata forms, right?
Original post by Einheri
"Wrestling is the foundation of all fighting" - George Silver, 16th C. English Master of Arms

Oh yes, is that why wrestling is the now foundation of all british army combat training... oh wait a minute :erm:

Original post by Einheri
But no learning to pick people up and smash them to the floor isn't "proper fighting" because they don't play patty cake and dance around doing kata forms, right?

Yes, learning how to pick things up and putting them down again is very useful. I let you know when i need a sofa moving.

I dont know much about patty cake, i have had a full ses of muay boran sparring this morning (thats martial arts to you) and there wasnt much dancing going on. But we did do some katas beforehand, youll be glad to know.
i might give some of your wrestling a go tonight, what would you recommend ,Fire Pro Wrestling or Smackdown Vs RAW ?
Oh yes, is that why wrestling is the now foundation of all british army combat training... oh wait a minute :erm:

It certainly was. And wrestling techniques such as the double and single leg takedown are core parts of the British Army unarmed combatives program.

Yes, learning how to pick things up and putting them down again is very useful. I let you know when i need a sofa moving.

I dont know much about patty cake, i have had a full ses of muay boran sparring this morning (thats martial arts to you) and there wasnt much dancing going on. But we did do some katas beforehand, youll be glad to know.

Yeah, that's like calling a Thai clinch "holding something".

I know what Muay Boran is. So you're off the Wing Chun nonsense now, are you?

i might give some of your wrestling a go tonight, what would you recommend ,Fire Pro Wrestling or Smackdown Vs RAW ?

This just makes you look ignorant, sarcasm or not. I'm obviously talking about Catch, Freestyle, Greco-Roman, various forms of Folkstyle, et ceterea. I would love to see you say that to a wrestler like Josh Barnett and watch him put you through the floor.
Original post by Einheri
It certainly was. And wrestling techniques such as the double and single leg takedown are core parts of the British Army unarmed combatives program. .

yes of course, because wrestling for leg takedowns are so important to soldiers that are training for opponents that can be armed with bladed weapons etc, not to mention setting themselves to take a few knees to the head :rolleyes:

Original post by Einheri

Yeah, that's like calling a Thai clinch "holding something"..

:hmmmm:

Original post by Einheri

I know what Muay Boran is. So you're off the Wing Chun nonsense now, are you?.

what nonsense would that be? Can i not be versed in wingtsun and boran at the same time? Still all better than wrestling sweaty guys in their pants and pretending its a martial art.

Original post by Einheri

This just makes you look ignorant, sarcasm or not. I'm obviously talking about Catch, Freestyle, Greco-Roman, various forms of Folkstyle, et ceterea. I would love to see you say that to a wrestler like Josh Barnett and watch him put you through the floor.

I wasnt being sarcastic, i was hoping for some genuine advice from a wrestling expert.
Surely you can relive this fantasy of yours on Smackdown or UFC for Xbox? Who is this Josh kid you are going to get to beat me up, im not scared of him were does he live? Ill get the undertaker to put him in a facegrab ( or whatever its called)
(edited 12 years ago)
yes of course, because wrestling for leg takedowns are so important to soldiers that are training for opponents that can be armed with bladed weapons etc, not to mention setting themselves to take a few knees to the head :rolleyes:

From a 15th c. manual on armed and armoured combat. This would be called a High Crotch Takedown in modern parlance; a bread-and-butter takedown started with a leg grab high on the thigh. You'll find wrestling to compose a good 30% of handbooks on armed combat pre-automatic firearms, from completely unarmoured fighting to knights in full plate harness. Obviously it's less important to a soldier nowadays when everyone you're fighting is carrying an assault rifle, but unless you're a soldier on active duty you won't be anywhere near the things.

:hmmmm:

You said wrestling was just learning to "pick things up and putting them down again"; I gave an equally ridiculous analogy. Don't act the fool, fool.

what nonsense would that be? Can i not be versed in wingtsun and boran at the same time? Still all better than wrestling sweaty guys in their pants and pretending its a martial art.

No, Wing Chun is still worthless.

I wasnt being sarcastic, i was hoping for some genuine advice from a wrestling expert.
Surely you can relive this fantasy of yours on Smackdown or UFC for Xbox? Who is this Josh kid you are going to get to beat me up, im not scared of him were does he live? Ill get the undertaker to put him in a facegrab ( or whatever its called)

Pro-wrestling is to actual wrestling what the Die Hard movies are to pistol/rifle shooting; it's bull****. Josh Barnett is a Catch and Freestyle wrestler, and I doubt there is a TMA practitioner alive would be able to beat him and his "non-martial art" wrestling.

And you've proven again that you're still a moron. I got bored of replying to your idiotic, circular arguments last time; no idea why I'm attempting it again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Einheri

From a 15th c. manual on armed and armoured combat. This would be called a High Crotch Takedown in modern parlance; a bread-and-butter takedown started with a leg grab high on the thigh. You'll find wrestling to compose a good 30% of handbooks on armed combat pre-automatic firearms, from completely unarmoured fighting to knights in full plate harness. Obviously it's less important to a soldier nowadays when everyone you're fighting is carrying an assault rifle, but unless you're a soldier on active duty you won't be anywhere near the things.

Yes , ahem, Question- How to prove wrestling is a martial art?
Answer- Post a jpeg of two blokes in suits of armour lieing on top of each other.

I keep forgetting im conducting this discussion with a moron.

Original post by Einheri
[
You said wrestling was just learning to "pick things up and putting them down again"; I gave an equally ridiculous analogy. Don't act the fool, fool.

ok, well done

Original post by Einheri

No, Wing Chun is still worthless. .

again, well done

Original post by Einheri

Pro-wrestling is to actual wrestling what the Die Hard movies are to pistol/rifle shooting; it's bull****. Josh Barnett is a Catch and Freestyle wrestler, and I doubt there is a TMA practitioner alive would be able to beat him and his "non-martial art" wrestling. .

yes he sounds like he must be some unbeatable wrestling sweat machine- im assuming then he must the world and olympic wrestling champion 12 years in a row at least. Or maybe not. Does he wrestle in a suit of armour too? Is his wrestling more or less worthless than wingtsun? When is he going to beat me up again?

Original post by Einheri

And you've proven again that you're still a moron. I got bored of replying to your idiotic, circular arguments last time; no idea why I'm attempting it again.

I thought it was becuase you didnt have any answer to the all those points raised before apart from 'duuuuuh in du wrestling we pick you up and put you down on du flooooor duuuuuh.'
All my earlier points still remain unanswered, but i guess now you were spending all this time looking for jpegs of knights lieing on one another. nice work hulk hogan. Do me a favour, dont bother talking about stuff like wingtsun till you can adequatley explain wrestling.
Yes , ahem, Question- How to prove wrestling is a martial art?
Answer- Post a jpeg of two blokes in suits of armour lieing on top of each other.

I keep forgetting im conducting this discussion with a moron.

Firstly, they're standing; one guy is picking the other up and is about to slam the other.

I posted that because you said wrestling was never used as a martial discipline when people were fighting with blades, this is from a time when people fought with blades and this is clearly within a martial context. You can find wrestling used in a fighting/battle situation in many pre-modern manuscripts, take a search for the old German "Fechtbücher" and you'll see many more examples.

You said that wrestling leg takedowns were never useful when people fought with bladed weapons. Here is a leg takedown on an opponent with a bladed weapon from a time when people mainly fought with bladed weapons. Your argument is null. Wrestling most certainly is a martial art.

yes he sounds like he must be some unbeatable wrestling sweat machine- im assuming then he must the world and olympic wrestling champion 12 years in a row at least. Or maybe not. Does he wrestle in a suit of armour too? Is his wrestling more or less worthless than wingtsun? When is he going to beat me up again?

The point is is that if a wrestler can beat (with wrestling) people from disciplines you recognise as being martial arts then wrestling is surely a martial art.

I thought it was becuase you didnt have any answer to the all those points raised before apart from 'duuuuuh in du wrestling we pick you up and put you down on du flooooor duuuuuh.'
All my earlier points still remain unanswered, but i guess now you were spending all this time looking for jpegs of knights lieing on one another. nice work hulk hogan. Do me a favour, dont bother talking about stuff like wingtsun till you can adequatley explain wrestling.

No, I stopped replying because we had already answered every argument you raised several times and you were going through the cycle again. You were going in circles with the same refuted arguments and spouting ad hominem drivel about XBox and UFC over and over again (despite me saying several times that I neither play XBox or watch UFC); it was a waste of time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone here who has done or currently does shotokan karate? If so what is it like as a martial art?

Want to learn how to protect yourself? I'd pass on it.
Original post by Einheri

You said that wrestling leg takedowns were never useful when people fought with bladed weapons. Here is a leg takedown on an opponent with a bladed weapon from a time when people mainly fought with bladed weapons. Your argument is null. Wrestling most certainly is a martial art. .

Yeh, you kind of threw a retarded curve ball there - in order to save your strawman, you used the example of a man wearing a metal armour. So yes, if you wear a suit of armour, then you can safely go to wrestle a man with a knife :facepalm2:

The lengths you will go to is pretty laughable. Your statement is still disproved though..

Original post by Einheri

The point is is that if a wrestler can beat (with wrestling) people from disciplines you recognise as being martial arts then wrestling is surely a martial art. .

In a ring on rubber mats or a cage you mean? With a referee and judges ? Has every wrestler beat every martial artist hes faced then? LOL!

Original post by Einheri

No, I stopped replying because we had already answered every argument you raised several times and you were going through the cycle again. You were going in circles with the same refuted arguments and spouting ad hominem drivel about XBox and UFC over and over again (despite me saying several times that I neither play XBox or watch UFC); it was a waste of time.

Thats not how i remember it, from memory you skuttled off after your statemnts about kung fu having no grappling was disproved. then you switched to 'kung fu has no groundgame', that was disproved. then you came back with wingtsun has no practical use, that was disproved. Then you posted a jpeg of a guy performing a wrist lock:confused: Then you tried to pretend wrestling with people in the street was the best way to defend yourself in real life. Again disproved. Today your back to spouting garbage about wingtsun again.

You really shouldnt be allowed to talk at all, till you actually get at least a few years of actual martial arts experience under your yellow belt. let alone give advice to others. Wrestlers talk too much. Stick to X-box.
(edited 12 years ago)
^^^^^

:frown:
Wing Chun is ****. Discuss.
Although Taekwondo counts not to my favourites, there is a man who impressed me.

What a body control! I'm astonished why a man become so good in TKD. He's very awesome, isn't he?
Original post by Einheri

Hey, are there any MMA gyms in Sheffield? I know of The Forge but haven't been able to find its website so i'm not sure if it has closed down or not. I'm moving back to England (unfortunately) in May and am looking for somewhere to train for the next six months or so. I'd ideally go back to Gracie Barra Midlands in Mansfield, but it depends where I can find a job really. Any suggestions? Needs BJJ classes, preferably with wrestling and/or Judo classes too.

I am pretty sure the forge is still open, I've heard people talking about it. As for ground grappling gyms I know nothing, MMA and ground grappling aren't my thing at all.
You really shouldnt be allowed to talk at all, till you actually get at least a few years of actual martial arts experience under your yellow belt. let alone give advice to others. Wrestlers talk too much. Stick to X-box.

Just out of interest what martial art experience do you have?
Just out of interest what martial art experience do you have?

16 years, give or take
16 years, give or take

Yes but I wanted to know in which martial arts, also if you have been training for 16 years how old are you?
Yes but I wanted to know in which martial arts, also if you have been training for 16 years how old are you?

ive trained in all sorts.

ill be 27 this summer.

Quick Reply

Latest