The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
How did HoRR go today, for those who participated?
Reply 1081
I stood on the bank by Hammersmith Bridge in the rain watching, made me feel so depressed that I haven't raced there since 2010 :frown:

Was good to watch it though, as I've never actually just watched it, always been there as a rower or cox. A good experience :smile:

I hope that next year I can make a comeback to rowing :biggrin:
Original post by Tabris
How did HoRR go today, for those who participated?

Really well, actually :smile: 'twas great fun! I'd never coxed on the Tideway before, but it went pretty well: we went up 87 places overall (although we were in the Novice category, so I'm not sure how impressive that was ...).
Reply 1083
Down in London and since it's the boat race tomorrow, anyone know a good place to spectate the 30 seconds of the boats passing by?

Anyone watching?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1084
Original post by Tabris
Down in London and since it's the boat race tomorrow, anyone know a good place to spectate the 30 seconds of the boats passing by?

Anyone watching?

Nope watching on tv. Not very optimistic about Cambridge's chances tbh.
Reply 1085
Original post by SimonM
Nope watching on tv. Not very optimistic about Cambridge's chances tbh.

Yeah. Looking at what I've read about the match-ups they've had, it's looking like they're going to get spanked.

Oxford to take 2 lengths by Hammersmith? Haha.
Original post by Tabris

Anyone watching?

Im gonna be down. Hammersmith would be a good place, its where a lot of decisive stuff plays out.

Ive got my money on Oxford, so they better come good!
Reply 1087
Original post by partoftheweekend
Im gonna be down. Hammersmith would be a good place, its where a lot of decisive stuff plays out.

Ive got my money on Oxford, so they better come good!

Ditto (on the bet).

Cheers as well. I'm picking between Hammersmith or Barnes Bridge. Hammersmith for the reason you said, but Barnes/the finish line so I can see more than the boats pass by.
Most dramatic boat race ever!
Reply 1089
Well, ****.

On the bright side, I met Matt Wells in Sainsbury's.
Reply 1090
Oxford cox will forever be outcast from Oxford BC hahah! Gutted, she was hot too.
Reply 1091
Original post by dobbs
Oxford cox will forever be outcast from Oxford BC hahah! Gutted, she was hot too.

Definite would smash/10.
Reply 1092
Original post by Tabris
Definite would smash/10.

Hah! It's not often I enjoy rowing for the 'hot women', since many (most?) female rowers are of a larger stature (and being a 5'7 lightweight, I do not go for this type).

Female coxes? Yes please :biggrin:
What the **** happened there. Absolutely gutted at that result for all involved. The guy that jumped in the river is pathetic.

Will Zeng (2 seat oxford)
When I missed your head with my blade I knew only that you were a swimmer, and if you say you are a protester then, no matter what you say your cause may be, your action speaks too loudly for me to hear you. I know, with immediate emotion, exactly what you were protesting. You were protesting the right of seventeen young men and one woman to compete fairly and honorably, to demonstrate their hard work and desire in a proud tradition. You were protesting their right to devote years of their lives, their friendships, and their souls to the fair pursuit of the joys and the hardships of sport. You, who would make a mockery of their dedication and their courage, are a mockery of a man.
Agreed, it was an absolute shambles. Gutted for them all, can't even begin to imagine how they must have felt :frown:
Reply 1095
Ditto.

Apparently it was a protest against elitism and tyranny? Don't see how interrupting a rowing race will get a point across.

Nobody cares about the reason he protested, just that he ruined the race.
Original post by Tabris
Well, ****.

On the bright side, I met Matt Wells in Sainsbury's.

Clare Balding tripped down some stairs in front of me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1097
Original post by Christop
Clare Balding tripped down some stairs in front of me.

Top gaff.
Just got back from an absolutely amazing two week rowing tour in America. Rowed with Thomas Jefferson high School in Washington, Cincinatti Jnrs (My coach started that club up years ago) and then Gonzaga high school in washington. Great trip, traded some nice kit.

Got me a Potomac all-in-one! usnationalsclubwhat?

Quick Reply

Latest