The Student Room Group

black girls with blonde hair

Scroll to see replies

if it is done by a weave expert, go ahead. if not, dont bother yourself
Beyonce looks good with it but nobody else seems to be able to carry it off lol... If you really want to find out then why not experiment with one that you can wash out again really easily?
Original post by littleone271
Beyonce looks good with it but nobody else seems to be able to carry it off lol... If you really want to find out then why not experiment with one that you can wash out again really easily?

Unfortunately, I don't think you can effectively use a semi permanent or temporary colour over dark hair. I found this out last year when I tried to colour my hair Rihanna red with a semi-permanent colour, and all it did was tint my hair slightly. For effective colour you'd need to bleach dark hair first (which is permanent in itself) and then use a temporary/permanent dye over it.

An idea to try out a new hair colour without messing with your own hair is to wear a weave or wig.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Unfortunately, I don't think you can effectively use a semi permanent or temporary colour over dark hair. I found this out last year when I tried to colour my hair Rihanna red with a semi-permanent colour, and all it did was tint my hair slightly. For effective colour you'd need to bleach dark hair first (which is permanent in itself) and then use a temporary/permanent dye over it.

An idea to try out a new hair colour without messing with your own hair is to wear a weave or wig.

Oh right.. yeah I see what you mean... :/
Reply 44
Original post by HunterPackLeader
People say this yet people are quick to bully anyone doing something "weird" I hate it when people say the above. This is the real world. no matter how confident you are your gonna care to some extent what people think of you if you want to fit into society. Another case of "easier said than done" advice being doled out.

OP Black girls with blond hair can only work if you have light skin. If not it looks terrible. imo i dont like it also on the basis of it's part of the general trend of black females trying to look white. Now I know youre gonna come back with "that's totally not the reason why" but the fact of the matter is the media has told you straightening and bleaching your hair blonde is the way to make it more attractive which is why the style is so popular. You can't deny the "white female look" is the mainstream look in fashion. You don't see many white women curling their hair into afros now do you?

I see your point but I don't agree. I've always been a bit of a "weird" girl I used to get bullied in school for wearing weaves and braided extensions by other black girls when I was younger so I know what you mean. The ones who bullied me always had their hair relaxed or in braids. I was only bullied because of the environment I was in. My school was horrible, loads of people got bullied there for stupid reasons.

Nowadays, I keep my hair short and I've noticed that no matter what I wear or what I do with my hair there is always someone out their laughing or judging me. (I like mohawk's so my hair is always cut in that sort of style and I'm a girl.) This only ever happens to me when I'm walking about on the street by people I don't know let alone give a damn about so I grew a backbone and learnt to just ignore it, you simply cannot please everyone these days. I've already giving up on trying to fit in with other people's views. It's too much of a pain. Which is why I posted, "do what you want."
But I know dying your hair blonde is a little more complex than that, its expensive, skin tone etc but sometimes it's easier not to care you know.

Btw I'm dying my hair blonde because I like the colour not because I want to be "white." I don't wear weave anymore, my hair is always short but I always keep it straightened. My natural hair is too much of a heavy burden to handle and I don't have the right skills to handle it. It takes a lot of knowledge to handle African natural hair which is why so many black girls wear weaves. Not many black girls know how to handle natural hair without having to cut it short. Not all black girls want or suit short hair which is why some resort to weave. I hate it when people say stuff like this, "white female look," what the hell is a white female look? Smh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by darkxangel
Not necessarily aboriginals have sometimes naturally blonde hair (if they can be classified as black people) :wink:

See? I can't tell when hair is dyed a lot of the time which is why I said that.
I think perhaps it's a little silly to accuse black (and even Asian) people who dye their hair blonde as trying to look white. Sure, perhaps some of them are intending that and being self-hating, but I think many are not and just like trying a new look. After all, what are people who dye their hair crazy colours like pink, blue, green, purple, etc trying to look like then? Aliens? Cartoon characters? Dolls?
1) its really bad for your hair especially black hair
2) If you do do it (don't) go a bit lighter
3) if you have a darker skin tone done do it
Reply 48
Why are there are some very light back girls who don't suit blonde hair at all?

I just wonder whether it's to do with skin colour as well as tone?
Original post by Fruli
Why are there are some very light back girls who don't suit blonde hair at all?

I just wonder whether it's to do with skin colour as well as tone?

Some white people don't really suit blonde hair either. I suppose it's just to do with a person's general look as it what suits them and what doesn't.
Reply 50
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Some white people don't really suit blonde hair either. I suppose it's just to do with a person's general look as it what suits them and what doesn't.

That's why I questioned as to whether it has to do with skin undertones as well.

I think people with warm/yellow undertones are more likely to suit blonde hair, than those with cool/blue undertones.

Cool and warm undertones are found in all skin colours.
Even worse when a bloke does it. We used to call those Duracells.

The world is too PC for that now.
Reply 52
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Even worse when a bloke does it. We used to call those Duracells.

The world is too PC for that now.

lol
If your skin tone is like Beyonce's, and you curl it, I think it can look really nice. Personally, I hate Rihanna's blonde hair and I think your natural colour would look more beautiful so there's no point in wasting so much money changing it.
I could not help but contribute to this , given the number of offensive and misinformed comments .
I will not address each post I found problematic just the " spirit " of some of the post .
1. Black girls have an image issue hence them " trying to be white " or having fake hair . Such a sweeping generalisation smacks of ignorance if not bigotry . I do not wish to deny that in mainstream "western" culture beauty ideals have been for long based on European features and that those are internalised by most people in these places regardless of ethnicity , eg : current obsession with being thin ect .Those who believe Black women want straight hair because of self hate may want to educate themselves on how Afro hair can be difficult to manage and is also more delicate .You may also want to acquaint yourself with some of the prejudices and negative expectations that some women may encounter because of their natural hair ( yes that is right , it can boil down to that too ) .This is not solely an image issue . Denying cultural and societal forces is both unhelpful and offensive as it locate any "pathology" in the individual while failing to recognise issues related to oppression .

2. In terms of Black women 'purported self hate . Again , I am sure some black women who have blond hair want to be white . But yet again what of the white women who tan , use buttox implants , inject their lips with all types of substances ? Do they all want to be African or Black or hate their ethnic heritage ? Of course not . This claim is as stupid as the view that all black women with straight hair / extensions / blond hair hate themselves .

3. The fact is that beauty standards are always evolving and include many features which are more commonly associated with other ethnic groups '. The ideal women if it could be created would have features of various ethnic groups . Simply because one seek to dye or straighten their hair does not equate self hate ! If you look more closely at empirical findings on the issues , this has never been established however , what has been found is that Black women tend to have more positive body image than other women ...

4. Finally to go back to whether blond hair look good on black women .This really is a non question. Do thick lips look good on white women ? It simply depends as some have already expressed . Skin/hair tone , hair texture , hair styles are factors that have already been discussed . I would also add confidence and generally level of attractiveness to start with . Those who are more attractive are more likely to pull off unconventional styles regardless of ethnicity . This may be because we are generally more tolerant of difference in people we consider beautiful or simply because a hairstyle is simply not going to make someone attractive suddenly ugly .Thus my advice is go for whatever you fancy as long as you 're ready to deal and manage people 'altered (and possibly negative )perceptions of you .
(edited 12 years ago)
personally i think it looks incredibly unnatural but every man to their own and all that :smile:
Original post by flowermaster91
it looks terrible man, why is it always black people making themselves the clowns of the show?

The only black person that should be walking around as a blonde is beyonce :plz2:

You are such a bigot!!!
Original post by boonaanaa
do you like it or hate it?
I'm considering going lighter, but I'm not 100% sure, i don't have the money Beyonce does to have it done in a top salon :/

Whats wrong with the way God created you?
Reply 58
Depends how black you are..
Reply 59
OP just wants to dye their hair..
Why has this turned into a self-hate thing?
How do you all know OP hasn't dyed her hair a million other colours and was currently deciding if she should go blonde now?

Anyway, it really does depends on your skin tone/undertones what looks good or not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending