The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Feb 2012 W100 people over here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by legalboo
Hi all. I'd say you've done better than you think Oppro. I've sent you a message by the way. Clairelou, how did you get on with the second tma?

Pretty well to be honest when I got stuck into it, I think I stress too much lol, just need to relax and I'm fine. :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 321
Yes, I get that way too. Thankfully I don't have monthly assessments any more, only end of year research essays and exams with a dissertation in the final year. I don't actually have my first exams until next May but today I was reading about what to expect and nearly had a heart attack!!

What are you learning about at the moment, is it interesting?
Reply 322
ClaireLou the tutorials are pretty cool, they're very laid back. Not lecture style, more just an informal chat about how you've found certain elements of the course, such as tmas. With a few legal activities thrown in and a re-cap of law that you've just learn in the the units... well mine are anyway.

go to one ... it might be the missing link, or you might find it no use at all, either way atleast you will have used the resources available to you, after all you've paid for it !

Good luck and let us know how you get on, mines on saturday too.
Reply 323
How did everyone do on eTMA02? I got 51. Disappointed but given the lack of studying & work I did & the last minute rush it all was I can't expect much more.
Hi I am doing this course and I am struggling with the word count and expressing what I mean within it ... the last ETMA02 I had to cut it all down to fit the word count and probably cut out the vital points and got 41% - my confidence is at an all time low.. am I the only one with this problem!!
58. Word count problems and extra days at work meant I got behind on my units.
;p( I'm now stuck on working out how to get the conclusion in ETMA03 ie the last sentence to refer back to the question I feel another bad result coming on ;p)
:mad:
I got 28 on the last one, not impressed tbh.

Etma 3, don't ask I've only done the intro and a little bit of the main body, I really don't want to fail!
Reply 328
This sounds insanely difficult for an L1 :confused:
Reply 329
Original post by Moggs
This sounds insanely difficult for an L1 :confused:

I'm guessing that most people here haven't written an undergrad standard essay before, which why some are having a few problems. Does the OU offer any written examples of answers to previous law questions?
Reply 330
Original post by Nitebot
I'm guessing that most people here haven't written an undergrad standard essay before, which why some are having a few problems. Does the OU offer any written examples of answers to previous law questions?

Tons of help availible either through tutors, online at OU or course materials.
The problem I've found is not only adjusting to the correct style of writing essays, and including references, citations etc. but also the time scale involved in writing a legal essay, or any essay for that matter !

I, through my own stupidity didn't manage my time well enough and had to scrape together something 48hrs prior to the deadline.
I managed 63, but compared to my previous mark of 84 I was bitterly disapointed.

Most undergrads at the OU, will have had a long break from study and education altogether, so just getting used to focusing on study seems hard enough lol, letalone having to write a legal essay every four weeks !

We'll all get there though :smile:
I'm a little stuck on what to write about the role of fault in determining unlawful conduct. :s-smilie:

I left that bit & I'll come back to it later.
(edited 12 years ago)
Blimey! I haven't even started etma3. Work's driving me nuts at the moment. So much to do......
Original post by kalistella
Blimey! I haven't even started etma3. Work's driving me nuts at the moment. So much to do......

Well you've got just over a week so good luck. :biggrin:
Reply 334
How are you all doing now, you seem a little demoralised further up the page. I remember reading somewhere that grades would fluctuate from essay to essay. Also, remember that W100 doesn't actually affect your final result in the degree so with that in mind just think of the essays as practice and don't give up.

I'm studying common law at the moment. It's interesting and the beginning of W100 has really helped in grasping certain concepts. The reading involved however is quite overwhelming, I have about 6 colosal text books, a studyguide, study pack (essentially a cd rom with many extracts) and then there's the internet research involved: the online library and the laws database :eek:
Oh does anyone know whether you have to refer to Legal Personality in ETMA 03 only I am wondering whether that may be why I am about 300 words down on the count x
Think you've just gotta use stuff from Unit 7, but I'm pretty much at the word count and not even on the conclusion yet so I need to go back and refine it.
Original post by clairelou90
Think you've just gotta use stuff from Unit 7, but I'm pretty much at the word count and not even on the conclusion yet so I need to go back and refine it.

Me too
Reply 338
Ah! Finally found you guys! Read through the posts & can I just say what a relief it is to not feel like im the only one slowly but surely wading through treacle! Went to the first tutorial but missed the last few unfortunately, but hope to make the next one. Still busy with etma 03, no doubt will still be working on it thursday evening till late! Got 42 on my first & thought id give up but carried on & got 66 on my second so I was well chuffed! We'll be fine, just gotta have tunnel vision...
Finished the third eTMA tonight and submitted it, got it down to 1,200 words exactly, pretty impressed, just hope I do ok in it now hehe. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending