Lets say

Maltose= it's alpha-glucose but not beta-glucose
Starch= alpha
Cellulose= beta
Glycogen= alpha

:confused:
Any tips-mnemonic to memorise them?

+rep

Can't you just think of all of them as alpha apart from cellulose?
Original post by arvin_infinity
Lets say

Maltose= it's alpha-glucose but not beta-glucose
Starch= alpha
Cellulose= beta
Glycogen= alpha

:confused:
Any tips-mnemonic to memorise them?

+rep

Original post by The Illuminati

That's exactly how I remember it, as cellulose is the only polymer where you rotate every alternate ß-glucose molecule 180o, as well as the fact that cellulose is the only polymer which is not branched. :redface:

I tried that but after a while I was like : soo was it all B and one alpha oorr!! :colondollar:
Original post by thegodofgod
That's exactly how I remember it, as cellulose is , as well as the fact that cellulose is the only polymer which is not branched. :redface:

It helped cause now I remember cellulose is the odd one out!

the only polymer where you rotate every alternate ß-glucose molecule 180o

em what?
Original post by arvin_infinity
em what?

The structure of cellulose is such, that every other ß-glucose molecule is flipped vertically, i.e. they're symmetrical in the x-axis (ignore the methyl cellulose bit):

Isn't this F212? Have either of you started F215 revision yet?
Reply 7
I think of it as; Humans cannot digest beta glucose, and cellulose is fibre (which goes straight through people) so, cellulose must be made of beta, whereas we can digest the rest do they must be alpha
Isn't this F212? Have either of you started F215 revision yet?

I don't do OCR - I'm on AQA, but yeah, we're doing Unit 5 now :redface:
I don't do OCR - I'm on AQA, but yeah, we're doing Unit 5 now :redface:

Does your unit feel like they've packed as much stuff as physically possible and SO many new concepts?
Does your unit feel like they've packed as much stuff as physically possible and SO many new concepts?

:sadnod:

All of the new stuff:

Taxis / Kinesis

Role of receptors

Action potentials

Synapses

Muscle contraction

Gluco- / Thermoregulation in more detail

Feedback mechanisms

Protein function

Protein synthesis (mRNA, tRNA, Transcription, Translation)

Totipotency / Regulation of transcription and translation

DNA Technology (Gene cloning, Vectors, PCR, Recombinant DNA, Gene therapy, Locating/Sequencing Genes, Gene screening, Genetic fingerprinting)

That's just 1 part.

Then there's the stupid Synoptic essay, worth 25/100 marks, which means we have to re-learn Units 1, 2 and 4 :mad:

Luckily I'm re-sitting Unit 2 anyway, so that helps a bit :redface:

But I prefer this than Ecology :yucky: (AQA Unit 4)
:sadnod:

But I prefer this than Ecology :yucky: (AQA Unit 4)

I hate Ecology a lot. Like.........A LOT. But all this new stuff is so intense and kinda complicated that Ecology is starting to seem like a nice safe option. And when that happens, I know I'm in trouble.

your unit 5 is so similar to my unit 4 which was the best unit ever. I could talk about action potential all day. I have muscle contractions in my unit 5 too and I can never fully understand it. I told my teacher this and she just told me to look up the essay question for it and learn the answer word for word but I actually want to learn and understand stuff not be able to recite a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me. Antway how would that even help me in an application question :angry:

Can't wait to go to uni and actually have more control over what I learn. I will never have to do Ecology again :yeah:
I hate Ecology a lot. Like.........A LOT. But all this new stuff is so intense and kinda complicated that Ecology is starting to seem like a nice safe option. And when that happens, I know I'm in trouble.

your unit 5 is so similar to my unit 4 which was the best unit ever. I could talk about action potential all day. I have muscle contractions in my unit 5 too and I can never fully understand it. I told my teacher this and she just told me to look up the essay question for it and learn the answer word for word but I actually want to learn and understand stuff not be able to recite a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me. Antway how would that even help me in an application question :angry:

Can't wait to go to uni and actually have more control over what I learn. I will never have to do Ecology again :yeah:

I actually quite like my Unit 5 :yes:

Love action potentials, nerves, synapses, NM junctions, muscle contraction is okay. Feedback mechanisms seem okay. Taxis / Kinesis is boring but easy, so it's okay :tongue:. Love receptors and the heart :love:. Love homeostasis :drool:. Protein sysnthesis is also lovely :adore:.

Detest DNA technology :mad:

Although I like Recombinant DNA technology and insulin because I wrote a whole essay on that :party:
The structure of cellulose is such, that every other ß-glucose molecule is flipped vertically, i.e. they're symmetrical in the x-axis (ignore the methyl cellulose bit):

Good stuff!!

is that tow ß-glucose inside the bracekts?

I never give up on clicking +rep button and TSR also never let me
Original post by 05sykesd
I think of it as; Humans cannot digest beta glucose, and cellulose is fibre (which goes straight through people) so, cellulose must be made of beta, whereas we can digest the rest do they must be alpha

+rep
Nothing can top that!! amazing

Quick Reply