The Student Room Group

Friend possibly caught going in excess of 100mph. What happens now?

Okay to cut a long story short a friend of mine (yes, a friend of mine) was driving on the motorway at around 105 mph. As he went round a corner he saw a police officer with a speed guns pointing it at his car.

What happens now? Do these guns detect the license plate or just the speed? I was under the impression that a police officer further down the motorway/road pulled you over if you had been detected by a speed gun? He was following the flow of traffic so what are the chances of him being caught if there were other cars around him doing the same speed? He knows about the potential fines and points etc but what are the chances of it actually coming to that?

Cheers guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Something will come through the post if the camera was on.

IF you, sorry, your "friend" was clocked over 100, it'll be a trip to court, a fine, possibly a ban and some points.

If you, sorry, your "friend" doesn't get anything through the post, learn to pick your moments a bit better in future, or book yourself, sorry, your "friend" into a track day where you can give it large without the risk of getting pinched. :wink:
Using the magistrates guidelines

Summons, fine and ban or atleast 6 points.

Source: http://www.pepipoo.com/Magistrates_guidelines.htm

If it's in their first 2 years of driving then the 6 points means no license. Would have to look into which one is worse.

Edit: This of course presuming the camera was actually on, might be lucky.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
And whilst the law does say 6 points and fine, you could, sorry, your "friend" could go to court and argue a defence saying that their career depends on their vehicle blah blah blah and have 5 points with large fine, but this is unlikely.
(edited 11 years ago)
Like how ppl using "friend" :P

OP admit it dude, it was YOU behind the wheel you were 45mph over the speed limit. I hope the courts phone the whole book at you. You deserve to banned, scums like YOU, don't deserve to be on the road driving. If this was the 1800's you'll had your feet and your arms chopped off.
Reply 5
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
Like how ppl using "friend" :P

OP admit it dude, it was YOU behind the wheel you were 45mph over the speed limit. I hope the courts phone the whole book at you. You deserve to banned, scums like YOU, don't deserve to be on the road driving. If this was the 1800's you'll had your feet and your arms chopped off.

If this was the 1800's, I think the man would be highly praised for having an automobile capable of such speeds.
Reply 6
Hopefully a lengthy ban follows.
Original post by JC.
Something will come through the post if the camera was on.

IF you, sorry, your "friend" was clocked over 100, it'll be a trip to court, a fine, possibly a ban and some points.

If you, sorry, your "friend" doesn't get anything through the post, learn to pick your moments a bit better in future, or book yourself, sorry, your "friend" into a track day where you can give it large without the risk of getting pinched. :wink:

Or perhaps just don't speed at all?
This whole situation can be summed up by Mr Jim Carrey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-mnYLPxwtc
Original post by James'
If this was the 1800's, I think the man would be highly praised for having an automobile capable of such speeds.

Reply 10
Original post by ACollins
Okay to cut a long story short a friend of mine (yes, a friend of mine) was driving on the motorway at around 105 mph. As he went round a corner he saw a police officer with a speed guns pointing it at his car.

What happens now? Do these guns detect the license plate or just the speed? I was under the impression that a police officer further down the motorway/road pulled you over if you had been detected by a speed gun? He was following the flow of traffic so what are the chances of him being caught if there were other cars around him doing the same speed? He knows about the potential fines and points etc but what are the chances of it actually coming to that?

Cheers guys

That argument is valid when you're 90 or even 95. There is no motorway in the country where the flow of traffic is at 105 mph. Thats bull****.

Im pretty sympathetic towards speeding and I hope your "friend" doesnt get in any trouble because of this and just learns to be more aware and sensible with their speed!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vazzyb
That argument is valid when you're 90 or even 95. There is no motorway in the country where the flow of traffic is at 105 mph. Thats bull****.

Im pretty sympathetic towards speeding and I hope your "friend" doesnt get in any trouble because of this and just learns to be more aware and sensible with their speed!

Exactly this.

Are you sure your "friend"'s speedo is right?...
I'm guessing the "Flow of traffic" was another idiot doing 100+ in his audi...

If your a young driver and get caught doing those speeds expect a ban and probably have to resit your tests.
Reply 13

What he said was funny...
Reply 14
What happens now? I'ma tell you what happens now...

Your acquaintance is about to get attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis.

That's right - he is screwed baby!
Reply 15
I'm not sure why I'm not believed, it was actually a friend of mine. Either way, people talking about whether the camera was on, it was a policeman with a speed gun, same thing?
Reply 16
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Or perhaps just don't speed at all?

In the real world, everyone speeds to some degree whether they mean to or not.

If, like the OP's "friend" you're doing a ton on a motorway you KNOW you are doing a ton on a motorway - it's not an accident so they can't really complain if they get pinched.

If you want to have a laugh in a car on a public road, a 30 year old sports car with a small engine on a B road posted at the national speed limit is pretty hard to beat.
Chances are you're not going to get anywhere near the speed limit but you'll have bloody good fun trying.
Why isn't your "friend" asking this question then, instead of you? LOL.. just be honest mate, no one is an angel, we've all done things in our lives that's against social order.

If a young driver causes such an offence, then I'd think they'll get a ban and stripped of their licence. And that's the best outcome for him when you consider that your friend could have been facing a life sentence of guilt for speeding into another car and killing a whole family.
If it was a police officer with a speed gun and your friend did not get pulled over then I'm pretty sure he got away with it. I've yet to hear of a case where the speed gun itself actually takes a photo.

If your friend was really following the flow of the traffic, then it is likely the cop is more interested in the first guy in the line of traffic going at 105mph, as when a line of cars are speed the cops usually will pursue and place the blame on the guy in the front.

Gotta admit, I lolled at this.

Quick Reply