The Student Room Group

Is it worth investing in dumbells and a barbell for home?

Basically, I'm looking to gain some muscle and generally improve my fitness, and as part of this I'm either going to join a gym or get a dumbell/barbell set for home. I've got enough room in the house for them, so that's not a problem.

My main problem with the gym is that I think I'd eventually just give up on going. There isn't really any near and the nearest one is usually packed and is quite hard to get to. I might be moving out some time between July and November, and while I could just get a gym membership for about 3 months then build from there, for this gym it could be quite expensive.

So as a result, I'm thinking of getting a dumbell/barbell set for home. Got a few questions first.

1) What's the limit on workouts I could do with this? In other words, is going to be a point where I'd need to start using machines or other equipment?

2) Can anyone recommend a decent starter set? Got pointed to a £60 set on Argos which isn't too bad but I've been told to look elsewhere too. Sports Direct wasn't as helpful as I was told it'd be either. Gonna look around tomorrow, but if there's a really decent set that anyone's seen for a good price, it'd be really helpful.

3) Would a gym generally be better? I'm a beginner, and I'm starting university in September so I can use the uni gym for quite cheap then, but would I be alright with dumbells/barbell until then? I've seen people on this site saying that people should go to the gym as opposed to working out at home, or at least start going to the gym a few weeks after starting at home.

Thanks for any help, sorry if I've messed anything up >_<

Scroll to see replies

Get a gym membership, way worth it.

Im being realistic here, but you can't transport your home equipment into your uni room can you?

The stuff you learn in the gym, in those 3 months, can be implemented whilst your at a gym near/in uni.

With 3 months work, prior to going to a gym whilst at uni, you'll feel less intimidated, and more motivated to continue training, by the results you achieve over the initial 3 months of work.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Chicharito14
Get a gym membership, way worth it.

Im being realistic here, but you can't transport your home equipment into your uni room can you?

The stuff you learn in the gym, in those 3 months, can be implemented whilst your at a gym near/in uni.

With 3 months work, prior to going to a gym whilst at uni, you'll feel less intimidated, and more motivated to continue training, by the results you achieve over the initial 3 months of work.

Good luck.

You make a good point about not being able to take the stuff to uni with me. I don't know if getting dumbells and a barbell for about 5 months would be worth it or not. I won't lie, I'm intimidated by going to the gym because I'm tiny and I don't think I'd have anyone to go with to ease me into it (got mates who say they want to go to the gym and when I try to sort something out they're like "No, I can't be bothered").

However, I've seen a lot of people here saying that it's best to do some stuff at home first to get used to stuff like equipment. Is that basically bull or is it a good idea?

The other problem, as I mentioned, is getting to the gym and costs and such. There's a keycard thing I have a chance of getting, but if I can't get it, I'll be paying £18 a month for the gym. Not just that, but there's also the costs of getting the bus there and back and such.

Thanks for answering by the way :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by alexlduffy
You make a good point about not being able to take the stuff to uni with me. I don't know if getting dumbells and a barbell for about 5 months would be worth it or not. I won't lie, I'm intimidated by going to the gym because I'm tiny and I don't think I'd have anyone to go with to ease me into it (got mates who say they want to go to the gym and when I try to sort something out they're like "No, I can't be bothered").

However, I've seen a lot of people here saying that it's best to do some stuff at home first to get used to stuff like equipment. Is that basically bull or is it a good idea?

The other problem, as I mentioned, is getting to the gym and costs and such. There's a keycard thing I have a chance of getting, but if I can't get it, I'll be paying £18 a month for the gym. Not just that, but there's also the costs of getting the bus there and back and such.

Thanks for answering by the way :smile:

Hey, If i had the money, and someone to go with i'd defiently be going to the GYM, the initial thought when I was first asked to go by my sisters boyfriend, was no bloody way... but he gave me his weight bench, and i've been using my own dumbells at home, sure it seems a great way to start...

But their won't i know right now, that their this won't be anything like going to the GYM...

If you was to go to the GYM not only would you be able to learn to use the equipement better than at home, you will also have experienced people around, to ask if you need help.. You will be able to do the best / most amount of reps you can, as you won't have it collapse on you, since someone can spot you.

You will also feel more motivated, as you will see all the work that others are putting in, and how big / ripped they are, and will try harder and harder to achieve your goal. I think im going to look at starting the GYM soon (:

EDIT :

Also, £18 a month doesn't seem bad, the GYM i was asked to go to is £8 a week... As for the bus fare, it may be possible that some people near your area are already going to that GYM, that you may not know about, and when you start, you may form a good friendship and could possible tag a lift with them? :|
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by IamNameless
Hey, If i had the money, and someone to go with i'd defiently be going to the GYM, the initial thought when I was first asked to go by my sisters boyfriend, was no bloody way... but he gave me his weight bench, and i've been using my own dumbells at home, sure it seems a great way to start...

But their won't i know right now, that their this won't be anything like going to the GYM...

If you was to go to the GYM not only would you be able to learn to use the equipement better than at home, you will also have experienced people around, to ask if you need help.. You will be able to do the best / most amount of reps you can, as you won't have it collapse on you, since someone can spot you.

You will also feel more motivated, as you will see all the work that others are putting in, and how big / ripped they are, and will try harder and harder to achieve your goal. I think im going to look at starting the GYM soon (:

EDIT :

Also, £18 a month doesn't seem bad, the GYM i was asked to go to is £8 a week... As for the bus fare, it may be possible that some people near your area are already going to that GYM, that you may not know about, and when you start, you may form a good friendship and could possible tag a lift with them? :|

I don't have dumbells/barbell at home sadly. I've substituted them for other random objects, but it ain't the same. I used the dumbells/barbell at my mate's once and that's about it sadly :frown:

The people is one thing I worry about (I worry too much...). Like, would they REALLY help me? I'd prefer going with a mate, but I guess I'd have to grin and bear it.

Hopefully I make some friends there. I know that most of my friends wouldn't go as they'd laugh at the idea of me doing something to change my appearance, god forbid.

Thanks for the answer :smile:
Reply 5
I don't have dumbells/barbell at home sadly. I've substituted them for other random objects, but it ain't the same. I used the dumbells/barbell at my mate's once and that's about it sadly :frown:

The people is one thing I worry about (I worry too much...). Like, would they REALLY help me? I'd prefer going with a mate, but I guess I'd have to grin and bear it.

Hopefully I make some friends there. I know that most of my friends wouldn't go as they'd laugh at the idea of me doing something to change my appearance, god forbid.

Yea same situation really, i have mild anxiety, so i always fear what people will think...

but, i've read a lot, and been told that people are more than welcome to help someone making a change.
Reply 6
Original post by IamNameless
Yea same situation really, i have mild anxiety, so i always fear what people will think...

but, i've read a lot, and been told that people are more than welcome to help someone making a change.

That's pretty much what I'm like. I get anxious about even the smallest things really.

Hopefully that's true :biggrin: I'll have to give it a shot! It best not had be a pain getting up there all the time though. I'd prefer having a friend with me.
Reply 7
Yes it is, would be even better if you got a gym membership alongside.
Reply 8
Original post by Tomac
Yes it is, would be even better if you got a gym membership alongside.

In that case, it'd probably be better off to look for a cheap set as opposed to the more expensive properly store-bought ones, provided they're still a decent quality, right?
Reply 9
I vote for gym membership.

Think about it... if you're training more than 1 muscle in 1 session you're gonna need dumbbells (or barbells) of varying weights and it's gonna take time to readjust the weights. Taking too much rest is not gonna benefit you (unless you're focusing on strength).

If you have enough dumbbell handles and weights then it should not be a problem. You can pretty much train everything using a pull-up bar and dumbbells/ barbells (expect maybe for calves).

Also doing squats, dips and dead-lifts at home probably won't be possible... 3 of the top exercises you can do. Micro-loading probably won't possible as well; those tiny plates cost a ton.

It takes me an hour to get to my gym and costs £65 per month. I am sure you can motivate yourself to get there...
Reply 10
A bit of a different opinion here. In my view don't bother with the dumbell set or a gym subscription. My advice to you would be to buy a pull-up bar, and use that. Press-ups, Pull-ups, Streching, Ab-Crunches are all sufficient exercises at building and toning your muscles. Add to this some cardiovascular exercises such swimming and running and you'll be on your way to your fitness goals. The main reason I suggest this is because going to the gym can lose it's novelty very soon, I know a many friends who actually have membership and despite being eager and motivated at first have simply stopped going. Also it can be very expensive especially when you have to sign a contract which means you can't cancel it within 6months-1year without paying a heavy penalty. By all means join the gym when you get to university, it's great if your really into fitness and wanted to focus of gaining muscle, but in the mean time there is nothing wrong with doing it the old-fashioned simple way if your goals are just improved fitness and better muscles.
If you want weights look on those second hand sites like gum tree. A lot of people buy weights and then choose to join a gym for varying reasons and sell their weights on the cheap.

I suggest you buy adjustable dumbells, but not a barbell. Then join your uni gym.
I guess it depends on how much you want to improve by, but if you don't want to join the gym then the barbell isn't worth it, since you wouldn't be able to take it to uni or do a full work-out in case you drop it on your throat, but dumbells are transportable, can be used for any muscle group in your upper back and are fairly cheap.
Plus you can do dumbell flys, as long as you have something relatively thin to lie on, which are similar to benchpresses
Reply 13
Original post by Swanbow
Ab-Crunches are all sufficient exercises at building and toning your muscles.

Ergh... some dudes are discouraging me to do this =/ and quite strangely enough, I listened to their advice :s-smilie: They say it won't do anything until I lose some amount of fats. Well that maybe true, but won't exercising the core muscles help as well?

I did some crunches before and I could see some of my upper abs showing; I might have done something correct there but have no idea what it is :confused: Diet? Crunches? Cardio? Confused...

Hope someone could help me out here =/
Reply 14
Original post by kka25
Ergh... some dudes are discouraging me to do this =/ and quite strangely enough, I listened to their advice :s-smilie: They say it won't do anything until I lose some amount of fats. Well that maybe true, but won't exercising the core muscles help as well?

I did some crunches before and I could see some of my upper abs showing; I might have done something correct there but have no idea what it is :confused: Diet? Crunches? Cardio? Confused...

Hope someone could help me out here =/

What they're saying is true to an extent. You could have the best pack of abs in the world but if it's covered with fat you won't see it. I wouldn't discourage you from doing them, it's a great exercise and like you said it brilliant for your core. Seeing your upper ab means your doing it right, but you won't get real results just doing the crunches alone. My advice would be continue with the crunches and try out some other abdominal exercises, look on-line their are many good ones, but make sure to get lots of cardio and a good diet if you want to see toned abs.
Reply 15
Original post by Swanbow
What they're saying is true to an extent. You could have the best pack of abs in the world but if it's covered with fat you won't see it. I wouldn't discourage you from doing them, it's a great exercise and like you said it brilliant for your core. Seeing your upper ab means your doing it right, but you won't get real results just doing the crunches alone. My advice would be continue with the crunches and try out some other abdominal exercises, look on-line their are many good ones, but make sure to get lots of cardio and a good diet if you want to see toned abs.

Thanks. I'm trying mate lol =/ Some of these folks even discourage me to do cardio because then I would have the skinny fat look. Owh the confusion =/
Reply 16
Original post by kka25
Thanks. I'm trying mate lol =/ Some of these folks even discourage me to do cardio because then I would have the skinny fat look. Owh the confusion =/

if your goal is just to get abs - then diet + cardio + ab training is the way to go

if you want muscle all over - then ease up on the cardio and lift heavy + eat more
Reply 17
Quite a few varying answers here. If I'm honest, it's kinda disillusioned things for me, if that's the right word to use. Maybe it's because there's a perfectionist side to me and there's so many different debates about which is the best way.

I'm gonna attempt to go to the gym tomorrow and hopefully I'll motivate myself from there. I've got food plans and I'm gonna try to cook them myself and convince my family to help (although my mother has a tough stance and says that there's nothing wrong with me eating junk food).

Still extremely nervous about going to the gym, especially for being judged. I'm the kind of person who takes judgement badly, and telling me to "man up" ain't something I can do in seconds. I'll try and grin and bear it and post the results when I'm done.
Quite a few varying answers here. If I'm honest, it's kinda disillusioned things for me, if that's the right word to use. Maybe it's because there's a perfectionist side to me and there's so many different debates about which is the best way.

I'm gonna attempt to go to the gym tomorrow and hopefully I'll motivate myself from there. I've got food plans and I'm gonna try to cook them myself and convince my family to help (although my mother has a tough stance and says that there's nothing wrong with me eating junk food).

Still extremely nervous about going to the gym, especially for being judged. I'm the kind of person who takes judgement badly, and telling me to "man up" ain't something I can do in seconds. I'll try and grin and bear it and post the results when I'm done.

Don't waste any money on dumbells barbells etc.

Just wait till you start the uni gym. Everyone has to start somewhere mate so balls to those who judge. All athletes from boxers to weight lifters didn't start where they are, they were the same as you and me and built from the ground up. Plus at a gym you will have an induction and people there willing to help you learn the correct technique which is a main part of lifting weights/fitness.

Choose from Strength/ Size/ Cardio and stick to 8 week routines. Once you get into the swing of things it will be second nature. And then when you want to challenge yourself after you have built a good foundation you can try the spartan workout lol.

Probably curl bros who do most the judging but look at the state of them lol just working the biceps and chatting away or texting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by SubAtomic
Don't waste any money on dumbells barbells etc.

Just wait till you start the uni gym. Everyone has to start somewhere mate so balls to those who judge. All athletes from boxing to weight lifting didn't start where they are, they were the same as you and me and built from the ground up. Plus at a gym you will have an induction and people there willing to help you learn the correct technique which is a main part of lifting weights/fitness.

Choose from Strength/ Size/ Cardio and stick to 8 week routines. Once you get into the swing of things it will be second nature. And then when you want to challenge yourself after you have built a good foundation you can try the spartan workout lol.

Probably curl bros who do most the judging but look at the state of them lol just working the biceps and chatting away or texting.

Thanks for the response! I'll try and join a gym now - no point in waiting 5 months for this really. It's true that everyone has to start somewhere, however I'm notably smaller than everyone else and would have to bulk up whilst doing this. Hopefully it all goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest