The Student Room Group

can i do the ukcat even though i have a medicine offer??

I have a medicine offer at a university i dont particularly want to go to. I was wondering if i firm it can i drop out last minute in september or on results day? also can i do a ukcat exam in the mean time. because if i get a high score im thinking i might take a gap year and re-apply. if i can do the ukcat before rejecting my offer it eliminates a lot of the risk because apart from my ukcat score i have quite a strong application. but if i cant do that i think il just take my offer and go to this university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your post makes no sense - you have an offer but you want to reject it so you can reapply to get another medicine offer? And you can only sit the UKCAT between July and October

:nothing:
Reply 2
in theory you can... but i don't think this is a good idea as you may not get any offer next time
Reply 3
i want to get a medicine offer at a different university. can i do the ukcat in july then if i do badly on it il take my offer and if i do very well i MIGHT reject it on results daay and re-apply. is that possible??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by razzler
i want to get a medicine offer at a different university. can i do the ukcat in july then if i do badly on it il take my offer and if not il reject it on results daay. is that possible??

No. Surely as a prospective medic you should be able to research this for yourself. You have until sometime in June to reply to your offers made after March 31st and you can only sit the UKCAT from July.
Reply 5
Achieving a high UKCAT score doesn't guarantee that you'll recieve an offer next time round, and thinking that it will is very insensible.
Reply 6
Original post by tooosh
No. Surely as a prospective medic you should be able to research this for yourself. You have until sometime in June to reply to your offers made after March 31st and you can only sit the UKCAT from July.

i have to make my decision by i think it the 9th of may. but can i the not drop out last minute??
Reply 7
Can't understand for the life of me what goes through peoples heads sometimes.
Reply 8
Original post by razzler
I have a medicine offer at a university i dont particularly want to go to. I was wondering if i firm it can i drop out last minute in september or on results day? also can i do a ukcat exam in the mean time. because if i get a high score im thinking i might take a gap year and re-apply. if i can do the ukcat before rejecting my offer it eliminates a lot of the risk because apart from my ukcat score i have quite a strong application. but if i cant do that i think il just take my offer and go to this university.

You can't, as ukcat is valid for the year you apply, so you got to do it next year if you reapply.
Also it's Medicine, it's very competitive, you taking a gap year could mean you won't get any offers next year or the year after.
Reply 9
Original post by razzler

Just be glad you have an offer! there are plenty of us graduates/ others that are desperate for places in medicine and can't get/ fight for them... Most people would take any place they can get for medicine, so is it the uni or are you not sure about medicine as a whole?
You could use UCAS adjustment? But tbh in my opinion its big risk, you may not get any offers next round and are you really prepared to wait another year, do UCAS again, prepare for interviews etc. and also from the experience of someone whose sat the UKCAT twice, your score could go down or as was the case this year the questions were a lot harder than previous years.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the offer and just be grateful, because at the end of the day your gonna get the same medical degree regardless of what uni you go to and there are so many people who would kill (knowing what some medicine applicants are like) for an offer.
Reply 11
Original post by Nucleolus
Achieving a high UKCAT score doesn't guarantee that you'll recieve an offer next time round, and thinking that it will is very insensible.

i am fully aware that it doesn't. but that was the main area in my application where i was lacking. im just saying if i could do the ukcat before it would reduce the risk somewhat. if i can't do this then il just take my offer.
Reply 12
Original post by razzler

I would say if you want to do medicine then its definitely not worth doing that, any uni for medicine is an amazing achievement, i think it would be too risky to reapply. I'm glad my application process is over if i get the grades, its tough! is it really worth going through all that worry again!
Reply 13
I just want to know if it is possible or not. I am fully aware of the risks and the extra work id need to put in. Even if i get a good score I still might take the offer. Im still thinking about the situation and jsut wanted to look at my options.
If you didn't want to go to that uni, why on earth did you apply there? :curious:

It is a massive and stupid risk to take.
Reply 15
Original post by Democracy
If you didn't want to go to that uni, why on earth did you apply there? :curious:

It is a massive and stupid risk to take.

my ukcat wasn't good so my options were limited. I haven't made my decision im going to visit the uni and have a look around this weekend.

what i want to know can i do a ukcat exam this summer before results day??
Reply 16
Keele offer probably
Reply 17
Yes you can, but I think you should at least tell us why you don't want to go brighton and sussex med school, if its because of prestige or you hate both locations, or the course structure, because its a massive risk to apply again, you may get a higher UKCAT, but you will have to do more work experience, volunteering, and have to prepare for interviews all over again, to do the same course but at a different uni, and come out with the same chance of getting a job as if you went to BSMS.
Reply 18
if you dont want your place email them and ask them to accept me as im desperate for a place and as a grad its harder...
Then take your UKCAT :smile:
If you reject the offer now and end up with 4 rejections next cycle, things are going to get a whole lot awkward.. Just for the record

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending