The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

I have firmed Bath but its A*AA, anyone know if they are likely to let you in with A*A*B, OR A*AB, or is it a complete no go?
If anyone has any info about Bath's psychology that would be fab!
Original post by fionalala12
I have firmed Bath but its A*AA, anyone know if they are likely to let you in with A*A*B, OR A*AB, or is it a complete no go?
If anyone has any info about Bath's psychology that would be fab!

I don't think they're very lenient with the grades, but then it depends how many people meet their offer so it will vary year on year I do know at least one person got in last year with AAA, with offer A*AA, so I think it's possible but not likely, obviously A*A*B would be more likely than A*AB as well. I'm in my 2nd year of psych at Bath if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by Flippin-Mad
I don't think they're very lenient with the grades, but then it depends how many people meet their offer so it will vary year on year I do know at least one person got in last year with AAA, with offer A*AA, so I think it's possible but not likely, obviously A*A*B would be more likely than A*AB as well. I'm in my 2nd year of psych at Bath if you have any questions :smile:

ooooh thank you thats really helpful! :smile:
How exciting! Did you find the step up between a level and degree really hard at bath for the first year? And is there any specific books we need to buy that are helpful? :smile:
no problem :smile:

I didn't find the step up too bad tbh, I think they were really good here at easing us in and being quite clear about what they expected, and in the first semester working on more general skills for essay writing etc as well as psych content, some of our lecturers also scaled their marking so they were easier on us for our first assignment and got progressively harsher over the year which I think was a good idea. Our lecturers were really friendly and approachable which helps as well. I think the biggest thing to be aware of, and they will probably tell you this a couple of times if you come here, is getting used to the new marking in terms of what is a good/ok/bad grade. With A Levels most subjects your looking at 80% etc, whereas here it is exceptionally rare to get above 80%. The highest we can get is 95% (which seems a bit strange it's because they only give out certain marks, I guess because with a written subject it would be quite hard to distinguish between say a 61 and a 62) and anything 60+ is a good mark, 70+ is a really good mark. We were told to think of it as 60-69 like getting an A, over 70 an A* and 50s a B. This can take a while to get used to so it can seem kind of disheartening with your first couple of bits of coursework as at the moment I guess you wouldn't see 60 as a good mark if your aiming for A/A*'s. But once you adjust that's fine.

For the first year our main text book was this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-The-Science-Mind-Behaviour/dp/0077118367/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334243323&sr=8-2
I happened to have got it during A Level anyway, and it can be useful for adding a bit of extra info if you're doing psych A Level. If you're not I would recommend you wait until after results and you'll get a letter from the department letting you know about it, just in case they change which book they use, or a new edition comes out or something :smile:
I've used journals far more than textbooks... it would be worth looking at a few articles from journals (how they're layed out, where the introduction/methods/conclusions are), since that is the main big difference than from A Level.
Oh yes definitely this ^ too, my a level teacher handily had access to loads and gave me a few to read. If you search on google scholar you should be able to find some that you can access without paying/having uni library access, I wouldn't worry too much though the vast majority won't have even seen them before, but should give you a bit of an advantage if you've read a couple and got used to the style :smile:
Yeh, It can be daunting at first though, they seem a lot harder to read than they are (ignoring the stats...)

http://www.steamfantasy.it/blog/manuali/unskilled_unaware_of_it.pdf
no problem :smile:

I didn't find the step up too bad tbh, I think they were really good here at easing us in and being quite clear about what they expected, and in the first semester working on more general skills for essay writing etc as well as psych content, some of our lecturers also scaled their marking so they were easier on us for our first assignment and got progressively harsher over the year which I think was a good idea. Our lecturers were really friendly and approachable which helps as well. I think the biggest thing to be aware of, and they will probably tell you this a couple of times if you come here, is getting used to the new marking in terms of what is a good/ok/bad grade. With A Levels most subjects your looking at 80% etc, whereas here it is exceptionally rare to get above 80%. The highest we can get is 95% (which seems a bit strange it's because they only give out certain marks, I guess because with a written subject it would be quite hard to distinguish between say a 61 and a 62) and anything 60+ is a good mark, 70+ is a really good mark. We were told to think of it as 60-69 like getting an A, over 70 an A* and 50s a B. This can take a while to get used to so it can seem kind of disheartening with your first couple of bits of coursework as at the moment I guess you wouldn't see 60 as a good mark if your aiming for A/A*'s. But once you adjust that's fine.

For the first year our main text book was this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-The-Science-Mind-Behaviour/dp/0077118367/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334243323&sr=8-2
I happened to have got it during A Level anyway, and it can be useful for adding a bit of extra info if you're doing psych A Level. If you're not I would recommend you wait until after results and you'll get a letter from the department letting you know about it, just in case they change which book they use, or a new edition comes out or something :smile:

Ohhh i see! Is it really difficult to get good marks then or something?! I'll have to make sure i reduce my sensitivity towards marks before i go then :wink: Would you say getting a first is really hard for your first year too?
Plus in terms of placement, is there a lot of choice? :smile:
Original post by fionalala12
Ohhh i see! Is it really difficult to get good marks then or something?! I'll have to make sure i reduce my sensitivity towards marks before i go then :wink: Would you say getting a first is really hard for your first year too?
Plus in terms of placement, is there a lot of choice? :smile:

It's definitely possible to get a first, but low firsts it's not that unusual to get 72 or 75, but it is difficult to get 80+ in the majority of units, and 2.1s are still good marks. In first year it's not that unusual to get a first overall because there is one multiple choice unit which is really easy to get over 90% in so that pulls up everyones average lol, but it's mostly just for the early assignments because obviously you'll improve as you get used to what they expect and some but not all of the lecturers scale their marks so it's just not getting down if your first couple of assignments don't get brilliant marks, particularly as the first year doesn't count, it is still possible though!!!! I think as well because Bath is predominantly a sciency uni our marking is quite different, generally so the more science subjects here it's harder to pass but easier to get a first particularly a high first, whereas in Psychology it's very unusual to fail something but more difficult to get a high first, so you can't really compare your marks to other people on these courses.

Yeah there's lots of choice for placements, most of them do have at least a partially research aspect though, although there are a few that are completely applied/practical. But they are in all different areas clinical, forensic, educational, organisational, completely research in like perception or personality, in the UK/US/Aus/NZ, so plenty of choice some are more competitive or more common than others though :smile:
It's definitely possible to get a first, but low firsts it's not that unusual to get 72 or 75, but it is difficult to get 80+ in the majority of units, and 2.1s are still good marks. In first year it's not that unusual to get a first overall because there is one multiple choice unit which is really easy to get over 90% in so that pulls up everyones average lol, but it's mostly just for the early assignments because obviously you'll improve as you get used to what they expect and some but not all of the lecturers scale their marks so it's just not getting down if your first couple of assignments don't get brilliant marks, particularly as the first year doesn't count, it is still possible though!!!! I think as well because Bath is predominantly a sciency uni our marking is quite different, generally so the more science subjects here it's harder to pass but easier to get a first particularly a high first, whereas in Psychology it's very unusual to fail something but more difficult to get a high first, so you can't really compare your marks to other people on these courses.

Yeah there's lots of choice for placements, most of them do have at least a partially research aspect though, although there are a few that are completely applied/practical. But they are in all different areas clinical, forensic, educational, organisational, completely research in like perception or personality, in the UK/US/Aus/NZ, so plenty of choice some are more competitive or more common than others though :smile:

How exciting! If you don't understand a topic, are you allowed to ask for more help like at a level, or is it purely down to your own research? I'm going to really push myself to get a first but we'll see what happens!
I really want to go into clinical/forensic which would be interesting! Do you know where you want to go into for your placement?
Reply 710
Anyone else doing Psychology MA at Glasgow Uni? Anyone got any information about it, experiences etc? :smile:
Reply 711
Hi,

I’m a Norwegian girl who will start psychology this fall. Seeing as I'm not British, I don't have much information on the universities other than what I find on the universities home pages or here. So I was wondering if some of you might help me?

Should I choose Durham or York for psychology?

Durham seems to have a good reputation as a university, but York is ranked higher for psychology. I think I'll like it both places, so I just need to know which one is better for my career. I also don’t have time to visit, as I’ll be spending the next months traveling.

Hoping for some good advice
I really hope I get the grades for Birmingham Uni, then I hope I get to transfer onto the four year psychological practise course (damn my lack of a level maths :frown:)
Reply 713
Original post by V.L.
Hi,

I’m a Norwegian girl who will start psychology this fall. Seeing as I'm not British, I don't have much information on the universities other than what I find on the universities home pages or here. So I was wondering if some of you might help me?

Durham seems to have a good reputation as a university, but York is ranked higher for psychology. I think I'll like it both places, so I just need to know which one is better for my career. I also don’t have time to visit, as I’ll be spending the next months traveling.

Hi! I'm from Norway and studying Psychology too! :biggrin: I'm going to Glasgow though. :smile: I don't know much about either of the schools, besides the fact that they're both good, but I would think that a degree from the school with best reputation is the wisest thing to go for :smile: What offers do you have?
Have applied to do Psychology and accepted two conditional offers. Firm University is Edge Hill in Ormskirk not too far from Liverpool and Insurance is the University of Bradford. I have met the staff from both departments and they're both really nice, and both courses are really varied in their yr 2 ans yr 3 optional modules (Edge Hill especially). I just need another 140 UCAS points to get into Edge Hill (got the other 140 from a D* in BTEC ICT, the offer is 280 UCAS points) and another 120 to get into Bradford.

I'm really looking forwarding to exploring Psychology as subject/course further (have done it at A level and am currently revising for two exams this summer including one re-sit), as it's really interesting and I can't wait to do some experiments (have only really carried out a Questionnaire into stress in my Yr 12 research methods topic)
Original post by SS7514
Is anyone planning on studying Psychology at Sheffield Hallam this year? I'm thinking of putting it as my firm choice, just need the grades! Would be cool to know anyone else that is thinking the same! :smile:

I've accepted sheffield hallam as my firm choice for psychology :smile: I absolutley loved it there when i went to visit !!!
just really hope i get the grades to get in!!!!!!
Reply 716
Original post by laurapinkxx
I've accepted sheffield hallam as my firm choice for psychology :smile: I absolutley loved it there when i went to visit !!!
just really hope i get the grades to get in!!!!!!

I'm the same here, need the three B's! What subjects are you currently studying at A Level? :smile:
Original post by V.L.
Hi,

unionview.com gives you a good idea of what the places are like, it has videos of each campus.

Durham (apparently) is rated lower on university rankings because it combines the "applied" psychology course and the regular psychology course in terms of its rating, and the applied is meant to be worse. Although this is just what someone said on TSR :P
Original post by SS7514
I'm the same here, need the three B's! What subjects are you currently studying at A Level? :smile:

I know i'm really hoping that get them !!!!

I'm studying English lit, psychology and health and social care !! what about you ... ??
When's your exams ? feel good about them ?? :smile:
Original post by iammichealjackson
Yeh, It can be daunting at first though, they seem a lot harder to read than they are (ignoring the stats...)

http://www.steamfantasy.it/blog/manuali/unskilled_unaware_of_it.pdf

That was an interesting report. Thanks for posting the link. As an English Lit. grad with no experience of stats at all it did however seem eminently understandable and clear. However I might of course lack the metacognition to understand how little I did understand it!

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest