The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hplj
Anyone know how common it is for people to take STEP I in year 12??

Already answered, but I think my old sixth form have ditched AEA entirely in Year 12 (for the Further Maths class) and replaced with STEP I. It also gives you some idea of the sort of difficulty of an Oxbridge interview
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

Good spot, though. I don't really know much higher level physics so it's probably worth a read up for me.

Spoiler

Original post by shamika

Spoiler

I really should follow this advice...
*can't stop doing irrelevant work*
Original post by Blutooth

Spoiler

Realised i could cut the soln to half its size, looking at Gff's soln- however part 4 and even part 1 may be worth looking at as an alternative to the mean value theorem.

Good stuff!

Spoiler

Original post by shamika
Good stuff!

Spoiler

Thank you, and you are right about the use of the word continuous, that's not the right word to have had there. Your explanation of differentiability in the context of this question was very useful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Is anyone else struggling with the time constraints of the exam? I think it's gonna be a push to do 6 questions in 3 hours I wish there was an extra hour...
Reply 1826
Original post by TheJ0ker
Is anyone else struggling with the time constraints of the exam? I think it's gonna be a push to do 6 questions in 3 hours I wish there was an extra hour...

Apply for access arrangements :colone:

:ninja:
Yes 3 hours is tight, but you don't "need" to do 6 questions (full solutions to 5 questions will likely be an 'S').

At the end of the day, the speed required is part of what differentiates the candidates, particularly at the top end.

3 hour exams are bad enough as it is...I've sat a couple of 4 hour+ exams in my life and I sincerely hope I never have to again :s-smilie:
Reply 1829
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

David Tong is just an incredible guy.

The problem I have is that it takes me a while to get going. I can go for an hour or two with literally nothing and then do 3/4/5/6 questions in an hour or so.
Original post by around
David Tong is just an incredible guy.

Is he lecturing you atm? I'm told his QFT stuff is pretty epic.
Original post by ben-smith
The problem I have is that it takes me a while to get going. I can go for an hour or two with literally nothing and then do 3/4/5/6 questions in an hour or so.

Yeah I know what you mean about that often I can do the question in 45 mins or so but at least 30 mins of that I am just thinking and not writing anything down.

This is just not me...the variance in my questions per hour is low

Guessing that's literally nothing on purpose?

That whole idea just seems alien to me - I just pick my questions, get started, and spend 30-50 minutes on each. Why do you do nothing for hours?
Reply 1835
Original post by Xero Xenith
Moi! Sitting it to get the 'flavour' of the exam before the ones that matter. :smile:

Same! :') Hoping it goes well haha :P
Is he lecturing you atm? I'm told his QFT stuff is pretty epic.

He's also a movie star: see 0:49
(edited 12 years ago)

totally, I spend way too much time on just thinking about the method for the question and whether I am able to do all of it or I shouldn't even start it and find another one..

You don't have to do 6 questions. It's a race. How far can you run in 3 hours?

This does therefore reward secondary skills such as question-picking and knowing when not to throw good time after bad. A question to bear in mind is: 'how likely do I think it is that I will get this question out?'
Finally got to the point where I can get a solid S on STEP 1 papers. Now to make sure I know the depth of content and up my skills for 2 and 3!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending