The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Just watched The Silence of the Lambs again. What a film. Anthony Hopkins appeared on screen for a grand total of 16 minutes, and won an Oscar for best actor for his performance as Hannibal Lecter. Damn well deserved it!
Just finished Through the Olive Trees, by Abbas Kiarostami.

I'm tired, so shall simply dispense with my overall rating of the film:

8/10
Original post by Abiraleft
Probably going to watch This is Not a Film tomorrow, very much looking forward to seeing that. I'm not really finding other films I might like to see at the cinemas over this week, though - films which were on earlier, like Carnage and Margin Call, seem no longer to be available. :frown:

There's not a whole lot to choose from at the minute. I'd recommend Cabin in the Woods on Friday as the best of what's available at the minute if you're at all into horror.

Also, last night at the cinema there was a ludicrous trailer that looked as if it was a zombie parody of a wedding scene. Then the title card flashed up: Rec 3. Man, that series has changed direction drastically.
Hi everyone! :smile:

I'm a newbie on this part of TSR...which is strange actually because as you're about to see I really enjoy watching films.

In fact, I blog about them (and books :heart:), and I'm interested in hearing what other aficionados think of what I think :smile:

Here are some links to my blogposts on films (I'm not into any particular genre, I like variety...):

* Frank Capra's 'Meet John Doe' (1941)

* Denzel Washington's 'The Great Debaters' (2007)

* Roger Corman's 'The Terror' (1963)

* Lee Tamahori's 'The Devil's Double' (2011)

* Shane Meadows' 'This is England' (2006)

Feel free to browse through the site. I'd really, really appreciate any feedback (good or bad, so long as it's honest).

Thank youuu! :smile: :smile:
Is it bad that I really want to see Battleship? The reviews aren't a deterrent for me. :ninja:
Reply 6025
Cabin in the Woods was really good and funny, highly recommend!

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is average. Film confused whether it is comedy or drama...
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
Is it bad that I really want to see Battleship? The reviews aren't a deterrent for me. :ninja:

Nah, I'm looking forward to it too. I enjoyed the three prequels and I'm hoping Optimus Prime makes a cameo.
Reply 6028
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Just watched The Silence of the Lambs again. What a film. Anthony Hopkins appeared on screen for a grand total of 16 minutes, and won an Oscar for best actor for his performance as Hannibal Lecter. Damn well deserved it!

Have you seen Manhunter? Cox did a great job portraying Hannibal, but it obviously wasn't as good as Hopkins.
What is it... two weeks now till release? :ahee:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane

I think they went a little overboard on the makeup for JGL to try and get him to look like Willis. There's something very... peculiar looking about him in some of those scenes.
Reply 6031

Looks promising.

Could be good... Interesting premise, and yeah, it doesn't look like your average run-of-the-mill action movie.
Jeux Interdits - 9/10

The scene of the fight between the two fathers is perhaps absolutely brilliant. Besides, I don't think anyone could possibility dislike the children, the antics they get up to, and, well... the entire damn premise!

Has anyone seen London Boulevard? It was recommended to me by a friend, though the reviews and ratings seem average at best. I may still check it out.
Original post by Phalanges
Yippieeee! I loved the first one. :yep: Is Clive Owen going to be in it? I remember his character Dwight surviving the onslaught in his story line. :awesome:
Yippieeee! I loved the first one. :yep: Is Clive Owen going to be in it? I remember his character Dwight surviving the onslaught in his story line. :awesome:

I guess it will depend on the stories they use as to which characters they bring back, and Rodriguez has said there will be some all new material not in the comics. I don't know whether Mickey Rourke could be convinced to return though, I seem to remember him complaining a lot about the makeup in interviews.
Original post by Phalanges
I guess it will depend on the stories they use as to which characters they bring back, and Rodriguez has said there will be some all new material not in the comics. I don't know whether Mickey Rourke could be convinced to return though, I seem to remember him complaining a lot about the makeup in interviews.
That's a shame, I thought his portrayal of Marv was pretty good, actually. This was probably my favourite scene in the first one. Gotta love Dwight and Jackie boy. :tongue:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6038
This is Not a Film is really quite intriguing and entertaining. Highly recommended. :biggrin:
That's a shame, I thought his portrayal of Marv was pretty good, actually. This was probably my favourite scene in the first one. Gotta love Dwight and Jackie boy. :tongue:

There were so many good moments in that film. When I think of one I immediately think of 3 more, it's impossible for me to think of a favourite. I do have a soft spot for the Josh Hartnett bookends though, they just feel cleverer with each watch.

Quick Reply

Latest