The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi people, a question for linguistics applicants!

I'm thinking about applying for this course (would absolutely love to go to Cambridge and have the GCSEs for it but my work-ethic has been somewhat lacking this year so I'm not confident that I'll get the grades :frown: , and then there's the interview anyway...) but I only discovered it relatively recently so I don't know much about it.

How have you decided that this course is for you? It's not talked about very often and hardly anyone knows what it is! I take Maths, English Lit, History and Spanish, and I prefer the content of the arty subjects but like the methodical mathsy way of studying things. English Language (or English Combined) isn't offered at my school so I didn't have a chance to do that which would probably have been helpful.

I am super indecisive so if anyone could point me in the right direction of going about researching whether this course would be right for me or not I would be really greatful (and October is scarily close so I do need to sort myself out soon :s-smilie: )
Thanks!
Reply 581
Original post by --emma--
Yay! Well done! :woo: That'll be great. :biggrin: What does it involve?
Haha, yeah.
Oh, that sounds like a good idea though. Nice to be wanted. :tongue:
Oh, well I play piano but that's just for fun as I can't play at all well, and then I spend quite a reasonable amount of time reading, and if I meet up with friends it usually involves going to the cinema or going shopping. I'm not exactly a sporty or arty person. :smile:

Going to a German school in the mornings and some kind of activities in the afternoons (in the insurance/health form it asks if I am up for swimming, cycling and hiking :L), staying with a host family. A German school! :ahee:
I need to decide if I'd rather write a dissertation or have a social life this summer. Oh who am I kidding, I'd far rather do the work :lol:
I'm sure you don't play at all badly :tongue: Cool, you are such a normal person! :lol:

Original post by Florence321
Hi people, a question for linguistics applicants!

I'm thinking about applying for this course (would absolutely love to go to Cambridge and have the GCSEs for it but my work-ethic has been somewhat lacking this year so I'm not confident that I'll get the grades :frown: , and then there's the interview anyway...) but I only discovered it relatively recently so I don't know much about it.

How have you decided that this course is for you? It's not talked about very often and hardly anyone knows what it is! I take Maths, English Lit, History and Spanish, and I prefer the content of the arty subjects but like the methodical mathsy way of studying things. English Language (or English Combined) isn't offered at my school so I didn't have a chance to do that which would probably have been helpful.

I am super indecisive so if anyone could point me in the right direction of going about researching whether this course would be right for me or not I would be really greatful (and October is scarily close so I do need to sort myself out soon :s-smilie: )
Thanks!

Hey, I'm not applying for linguistics, it's MML for me but the linguistic aspect of the course is what attracts me to it and if you could combine them believe me I would. :tongue: What I recommend is reading around the subject! Get some books from the library - things like The Language Instinct (Pinker), How Language Works (Crystal) or some kind of introductory book would make a good start, don't jump into Chomsky straightaway! :lol: You could also do what I do and stalk the linguistics articles on Wikipedia :colondollar: From what you've said though, it sounds like linguistics would be an ideal match :h:

Original post by Shakespearian
Hahaa indeed it is underrated, with all this globalisation of the english language. I LOVE speaking languages!! :biggrin: good luck with your application! Which college are you considering??

:hi:
I like you. :tongue:
Original post by Etoile
Going to a German school in the mornings and some kind of activities in the afternoons (in the insurance/health form it asks if I am up for swimming, cycling and hiking :L), staying with a host family. A German school! :ahee:
I need to decide if I'd rather write a dissertation or have a social life this summer. Oh who am I kidding, I'd far rather do the work :lol:
I'm sure you don't play at all badly :tongue: Cool, you are such a normal person! :lol:

Hey, I'm not applying for linguistics, it's MML for me but the linguistic aspect of the course is what attracts me to it and if you could combine them believe me I would. :tongue: What I recommend is reading around the subject! Get some books from the library - things like The Language Instinct (Pinker), How Language Works (Crystal) or some kind of introductory book would make a good start, don't jump into Chomsky straightaway! :lol: You could also do what I do and stalk the linguistics articles on Wikipedia :colondollar: From what you've said though, it sounds like linguistics would be an ideal match :h:

I've had "Through the Language Glass" (Guy Deutscher) sat on my shelf for a while now, and hope to soon get around to reading it. Have you read it? If so, is it good? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 583
Original post by Oromis263
I've had "Through the Language Glass" sat on my shelf for a while now, and hope to soon get around to reading it. Have you read it? If so, is it good? :biggrin:

I have! It's a fascinating read :biggrin:
Original post by Etoile

I like anyone who also speaks languages :tongue: I'm guessing you speak German. I'm afraid I don't speak much German, but I should love to take some MML papers with my History degree if I get in :smile:
Reply 585
Original post by Shakespearian
I like anyone who also speaks languages :tongue: I'm guessing you speak German. I'm afraid I don't speak much German, but I should love to take some MML papers with my History degree if I get in :smile:

Awesome! I do French, German and Italian at the moment. :colone: The courses at the language centre look good too, they have modern Greek! :ahee:
Original post by Oromis263
I'm curious and considering sitting Geology A-level next January (all 4 exams) on OCR. What is it like, and what resources can you point me towards, other than the textbook and the OCR website? If any.

As well, what is the coursework like, I'm going to have to find a college that will let me enter as a private candidate, as my current college doesn't offer the course... Unless I can convince one of the geography teachers to help me out.. :colone:

You should totally do it, geology is absolutely astronomically amazingly enjoyable. I find it easy basically because i enjoy it (makes everything better if you like it) and its just a LOAD of facts which some people can learn easily (such as myself). the textbook is the only resource i use and my class uses basically, it is the BIBLE of geology.
On the coursework side i cant help you because i havent done it yet :/ ive been wondering what it is about as well. From my own knowledge, you do an evaluative paper which is all writing and a practical part which may be hard to do, i dont know. GEOLOGY ROCKS, ITS GNIESS TO SEE YOU, VOLCANOLOGISTS LIKE IT HOT! you'll get that a lot, well i do. Peace out!
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Yh I understand what you mean. It's irritating going over the basic stuff loads of time and not actually nailing the hard stuff. I think 3 (of the 6) in my class got U's but they're all pretty clever so I don't really mind if they stay or not. I tried doing a bit of physics for the first time in the holidays today and it was quite a bit harder than before. That tells me I better keep practising!

What else are you doing?

I'm doing phys, chem, biol and maths. The only real headache paper is going to be S2. I don't like Stats -_- and since my board doesn't offer Decision modules, I have to do S2 if I want to do maths + Further maths.
Original post by fountains
I am current member of Murray Edwards college, and was a direct applicant there too, so feel free to ask any questions!

I also have friends at Newnham, and they love it there, so either decision you make, I am sure you would enjoy it.

aw thank you so much that would be great :biggrin: ...but I have changed my mind about which college again :L I am now thinking Selwyn but don't quote me on that being my final choice. I have changed my mind SO many times, I think the open day will have to be my decider :smile:
Original post by Llewellyn
I'm doing phys, chem, biol and maths. The only real headache paper is going to be S2. I don't like Stats -_- and since my board doesn't offer Decision modules, I have to do S2 if I want to do maths + Further maths.

I feel for you, my friend, Statistics 2 is probably going to be my bane, but I am enjoying it much more than Statistics 1. I, foolishly, ordered myself several books today as well, looks like I'm not going to get much revision done!

Original post by louisjevans
You should totally do it, geology is absolutely astronomically amazingly enjoyable. I find it easy basically because i enjoy it (makes everything better if you like it) and its just a LOAD of facts which some people can learn easily (such as myself). the textbook is the only resource i use and my class uses basically, it is the BIBLE of geology.
On the coursework side i cant help you because i havent done it yet :/ ive been wondering what it is about as well. From my own knowledge, you do an evaluative paper which is all writing and a practical part which may be hard to do, i dont know. GEOLOGY ROCKS, ITS GNIESS TO SEE YOU, VOLCANOLOGISTS LIKE IT HOT! you'll get that a lot, well i do. Peace out!

Awesome! I ordered the textbook today, and yeah, from what I gleaned from the past paper I attempted, it does seem quite factual, and doable as long as you learn your definitions. :biggrin:
My revision is going ok ... I guess :tumble:

Exams are in a week :no: :cry2:
Original post by CatBrearley
aw thank you so much that would be great :biggrin: ...but I have changed my mind about which college again :L I am now thinking Selwyn but don't quote me on that being my final choice. I have changed my mind SO many times, I think the open day will have to be my decider :smile:

Which open day are you referring to? The July one or the September one?
Original post by chickenonsteroids

???? Which exams do you have?
Original post by wcp100
???? Which exams do you have?

I do the IB so I have my exams that give me my predictions for university.
Reply 594

All the IB people in my school are just constantly going on about how they don't have any exams til next year, looks like they're in for a shock...
Original post by Llewellyn

I dunno if it's just me but I found D1 and find D2 so much easier than the other maths modules. You're pretty unlucky not to be able to do them. So what maths modules you done so far?
I hear S2 is pretty easy, although I'm scared that I'm gonna struggle with it. You're doing solid subjects though.

Ahhhh...major confusion there:tongue: Good luck! Not that you need it.
Original post by iCiaran
All the IB people in my school are just constantly going on about how they don't have any exams til next year, looks like they're in for a shock...

It really isn't anything to boast about :dontknow: they're going to have a lot of exams in the space of roughly 2 weeks. In addition, that's on everything they've done over the two years.
Reply 598

My German oral is in two weeks :zomg:
Better get revising then chicken, although you'll do brilliantly! :h:
Reply 599
It really isn't anything to boast about :dontknow: they're going to have a lot of exams in the space of roughly 2 weeks. In addition, that's on everything they've done over the two years.

They just enjoy not having exams while we do xD

Good luck with yours anyway :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending