The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Gay couple accomodation

Hi, I'm starting a Msc at Essex in October 2012 and I'm looking for accomodation for me and my partner. I have already applied for a room in the University, but it seems a little bit expensive to me, so I was wondering if any one knows about a flat or shared house to live in (for no more than 500 GBP per month including bills and internet). Thank you for all your help!
Reply 1
Why the emphasis on that you are a gay couple ? Would it not just be the same for any couple no matter of sexual orientation, I might be being a bit of a prick but constantly you have people complaining about how gays are singled out for bad treatment when sometimes they might just enforce it on themselves ( obviously its still wrong of course though)
(edited 12 years ago)
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Aidan88
Why the emphasis on that you are a gay couple ? Would it not just be the same for any couple no matter of sexual orientation, I might be being a bit of a prick but constantly you have people complaining about how gays are singled out for bad treatment when sometimes they might just enforce it on themselves ( obviously its still wrong of course though)

Some places are unfortunately rather uncomfortable with gay people. Some places prefer to advertise themselves as 'gay-friendly' so they could include homosexuals/bisexuals etc in their audience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Some places are unfortunately rather uncomfortable with gay people. Some places prefer to advertise themselves as 'gay-friendly' so they could include homosexuals/bisexuals etc in their audience.

I agree with the OP on this one, it means that whoever is involved knows the deal from the start and there will be no awkwardness later
Reply 4
If being gay wasn't an issue, it would not mind wheter I mentioned it or not, don't you think? However, when I was enquiring for accommodation at Greenstead House and I asked explicit if they have any policy about gay couples (for example, a no discrimination one), the owner immediately told me that all accomodation at Greenstead, Forest and Candan Houses were booked, and maybe I would prefer to rent an independent flat were I "will have [my] own front door key to the flat [and I am] free to choose whom wish to live with". It sounds really respectful, but sounds like "we don't want problems with you, people, please stay away". Maybe I'm exaggerating and they really already have every double rooms booked for 2012-2013... But, just in case, I rather to be frank from the begginig to suffer with an "uncomfortable" landlord for 11 months...
Reply 5
Original post by yagunzhe
If being gay wasn't an issue, it would not mind wheter I mentioned it or not, don't you think? However, when I was enquiring for accommodation at Greenstead House and I asked explicit if they have any policy about gay couples (for example, a no discrimination one), the owner immediately told me that all accomodation at Greenstead, Forest and Candan Houses were booked, and maybe I would prefer to rent an independent flat were I "will have [my] own front door key to the flat [and I am] free to choose whom wish to live with". It sounds really respectful, but sounds like "we don't want problems with you, people, please stay away". Maybe I'm exaggerating and they really already have every double rooms booked for 2012-2013... But, just in case, I rather to be frank from the begginig to suffer with an "uncomfortable" landlord for 11 months...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but Greenstead is probably not the best area for gay couples. Its quite a rough area, not where the students live particularly but dont want to take any chances if you were to be abused or something in the street?
I sound really terrible now, but I know several people who got mugged for no reason in greenstead!
Anyway im rambling but I hope you did find somewhere to live, and if not I'd try saxons estate agents or look on right move as there's a few house shares on there for pretty cheap :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending