The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by lastlullabyy
You're applying for Law and you have Biology and Chemistry at HL?! Wow... :biggrin: how's that? And why such a combination if you don't want to do a degree in anything science related?

I know right :tongue: Well see when I started the IB I wasn't sure If I was going to do Law or Medicine, and since medicine needs Chem and Bio at HL and I don't really find those subjects difficult I thought why not? Well it wasn't one of my finest decisions but I do enjoy them and I know I can get good grades in them (I hope :tongue:) I probably should have taken history, but all the history students have no time for any other subjects and I would have found hard to give up all my time to one subject.
I'd have like to study medicine as I like science but I don't want to become a doctor so that was that. I really like law though and I've done some work experience which was great, that really made my mind up. :smile:
Well that's good then :biggrin: One of my friend had the same situation... He has the same subjects as I have (Biology, Chemistry, English B HLs and Psychology, Polish A1 and Maths SLs) but now he regrets and suffers a lot... Since it's nearly end of IB1, he can't change it... Well, life is life :biggrin:

Good that you figured it out now, not in a Med School... That you don't want to be a doctor, I mean :biggrin:

I wanted to study Law really badly... But then I fell in love with Medicine... :biggrin:
Reply 622
Original post by chickenonsteroids
It's just in general while speaking, I remember it while writing for the most part but speaking it just flies out of my head :lol:

For English I spend 20 - 30 minutes reading and analysing the poem and then write a load of rubbish for the time remaining :tongue:

Because speaking is harder! I swear another world exists as soon as someone expects you to start formulating an argument or whatever and everything you know leaves your head :lol:
Ahh cool :tongue: Is it just poetry then?

Original post by --emma--
Oh, that sounds so good! It'll be such good practice. :awesome:
Wise choice. :lol:
Haha, I really do but I don't mind - it's still fun. :biggrin: Really? Never been seen as that normal before - I'm pretty much the nerdiest person in my school. :tongue:

It will! :ahee: Shame it has to be after the oral, but I can pick up a nice accent for my hopeful interview and of course A2 :colone:
Come at me, extended essay about language and linguistics. :sexface:
It is fun! What kinds of things do you like playing?
Being a nerd is a good thing :yep: You just do normal things in your free time :tongue:

Original post by Shakespearian
:biggrin: I would LOVE to learn Italian and Greek!! J'adore parler le francais et l'espagnol aussi :smile: which college you looking at?

Génial! Italian is relatively easy because it's similar to French, and I guess Spanish. So many languages and so little time! At the moment I'm leaning towards Pembroke, but Emma is definitely still in the running - I need to look around them. What about you?
Original post by Etoile
It will! :ahee: Shame it has to be after the oral, but I can pick up a nice accent for my hopeful interview and of course A2 :colone:
Come at me, extended essay about language and linguistics. :sexface:
It is fun! What kinds of things do you like playing?
Being a nerd is a good thing :yep: You just do normal things in your free time :tongue:

Yeah, and exam boards are usually pretty lenient with accents. :biggrin:
:lol: What do you think your title will be?
I've been looking at the courses at Durham and in the Natural Sciences one you can take other modules - I think if I went there I'd either do two module of Spanish or do Spanish and another language...:ahee:
Oh, well, I kind of had a huge break and started playing again about a week ago but I'm currently finishing off River Flows in You by Yiruma. :smile:
Haha, thanks. :biggrin: Yeah, if you count playing Scrabble in Spanish with your dad normal. :lol:
Original post by Etoile

Génial! Italian is relatively easy because it's similar to French, and I guess Spanish. So many languages and so little time! At the moment I'm leaning towards Pembroke, but Emma is definitely still in the running - I need to look around them. What about you?

Aww both colleges are so pretty. I loved the duckpond at Emma :tongue: all the cute ducks! haha but atm it's between Corpus Christi and Magdalene. They're both small and pretty :bubbles: and in the city centre. I'll probably look round as many colleges as possible on the open day :rolleyes: which open day are you going to??
Reply 625
Hi everyone, I'm Lucy :hello:
I'm 90% set on applying to Cambridge, the 10% left depends on AS UMS and my BMAT score.

Course: Medicine
AS Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Philosophy & Ethics (Predicted 5A's)
Academics: 12 A*
Colleges being considered: Trinity, Emma, Clare, Gonville & Caius
Reply 626
Original post by Shakespearian
Aww both colleges are so pretty. I loved the duckpond at Emma :tongue: all the cute ducks! haha but atm it's between Corpus Christi and Magdalene. They're both small and pretty :bubbles: and in the city centre. I'll probably look round as many colleges as possible on the open day :rolleyes: which open day are you going to??

I know right! :ahee: Those are both so pretty too! I'm going to the open days of those two colleges but I don't know which of the university days I'm going to - I think my college is doing it as a big group so I'll find out next friday. Maybe we'll see people from TSR there! :ahee:

Original post by --emma--
Yeah, and exam boards are usually pretty lenient with accents. :biggrin:
:lol: What do you think your title will be?
I've been looking at the courses at Durham and in the Natural Sciences one you can take other modules - I think if I went there I'd either do two module of Spanish or do Spanish and another language...:ahee:
Oh, well, I kind of had a huge break and started playing again about a week ago but I'm currently finishing off River Flows in You by Yiruma. :smile:
Haha, thanks. :biggrin: Yeah, if you count playing Scrabble in Spanish with your dad normal. :lol:

That is reassuring :lol:
Something along the lines of "Is a single world language viable, or desirable? Discuss." :tongue: But I need to run it past my teacher, he might suggest I do something about literature instead.
Oooh nice! Which other were you thinking of?
You definitely can't be bad then, it's not exactly an overly simple piece :tongue:
That is nice :') But how do you do the other letters?
Helloo, I've only just considered the prospect of applying to cambridge, due to the fact that I didn't get straight A*s at GCSE and that i've outdone myself in my recent modules, but anyway :

Course: Computer Science
AS levels : Economics, Chemistry, Physics, Maths(A in jan, A2 in summer), Further Maths , Welsh Bac. (Predicted As)
Academics: 3A*7A
Colleges being considered : Clare
Original post by Etoile
That is reassuring :lol:
Something along the lines of "Is a single world language viable, or desirable? Discuss." :tongue: But I need to run it past my teacher, he might suggest I do something about literature instead.
Oooh nice! Which other were you thinking of?
You definitely can't be bad then, it's not exactly an overly simple piece :tongue:
That is nice :') But how do you do the other letters?

:lol:
Ooh, sounds a good one. I'm assuming that you'll be arguing that it's not desirable?
Well I did French to GCSE and they have a module which is designed for people who dropped it then, so I could pick that up again, or I could go for a completely new language like Italian or Mandarin. So many choices...:awesome:
Haha, it's taken me a while. :lol:
We use n to be n with a tilda as well (I can't get accents on here) and just use two l's to make the ll. We ignore the really uncommon ones like x and y. And we ignore accents too. :smile:
Reply 629
Original post by D'ya Get Meh?
Helloo, I've only just considered the prospect of applying to cambridge, due to the fact that I didn't get straight A*s at GCSE and that i've outdone myself in my recent modules, but anyway :

AS levels : Economics, Chemistry, Physics, Maths(A in jan, A2 in summer), Further Maths , Welsh Bac. (Predicted As)

Yay another CompSci :biggrin:

What are you considering for your first year options?
Original post by iCiaran
Yay another CompSci :biggrin:

What are you considering for your first year options?

hey :biggrin: I was wondering if there was anyone :tongue: considering the tiny amount that get admitted

I was considering doing double maths, but I'm not sure whether I'll have the nerve to do the step exams if it comes to it :/
so I'll probably go with physics

What about you ?
Reply 631
hey :biggrin: I was wondering if there was anyone :tongue: considering the tiny amount that get admitted

I was considering doing double maths, but I'm not sure whether I'll have the nerve to do the step exams if it comes to it :/
so I'll probably go with physics

What about you ?

I was thinking about going just with maths aswell, but I'm not 100% because of STEP , same as you :P I'll probably go for it in the end though...

I don't understand where this "must get all A*s to stand a chance" mumbo-jumbo comes from. :s-smilie: GCSEs are such a tiny part of the application, I'm sure that even if you got some As, and mostly Bs and Cs, if you had good AS UMS (>90%) then you are on a level field with people who got straight A*s.

Glad for another CompSci, it is such an interesting subject, I almost applied for it myself! :smile:
Original post by Oromis263
I don't understand where this "must get all A*s to stand a chance" mumbo-jumbo comes from. :s-smilie: GCSEs are such a tiny part of the application, I'm sure that even if you got some As, and mostly Bs and Cs, if you had good AS UMS (>90%) then you are on a level field with people who got straight A*s.

Glad for another CompSci, it is such an interesting subject, I almost applied for it myself! :smile:

Yes I agree. I think GCSEs only really become a problem if you've actually failed quite a few. And not "failed" as in TSR failed (an A) but "failed" as in a D or below.

GCSEs are also a concern for anyone mad enough to consider Medicine, God rest your souls.
Original post by Llewellyn
Yes I agree. I think GCSEs only really become a problem if you've actually failed quite a few. And not "failed" as in TSR failed (an A) but "failed" as in a D or below.

GCSEs are also a concern for anyone mad enough to consider Medicine, God rest your souls.

Of course, Medicine is the only exception. May they ever be remembered.

I couldn't imagine getting 4 rejections, and that being relatively normal. :s-smilie:
And not "failed" as in TSR failed (an A) but "failed" as in a D or below.

You have a point about that observation! It's rather shocking but nevertheless true.
Does this mentality only exist in the Oxbridge threads or in the others as well? :eek:
Original post by Welsh Lady
You have a point about that observation! It's rather shocking but nevertheless true.
Does this mentality only exist in the Oxbridge threads or in the others as well? :eek:

It appears to exist almost forum-wide. It is almost sickening really.
Original post by Etoile
I know right! :ahee: Those are both so pretty too! I'm going to the open days of those two colleges but I don't know which of the university days I'm going to - I think my college is doing it as a big group so I'll find out next friday. Maybe we'll see people from TSR there! :ahee:

Hahaa that would be soo hilarious :ahee: don't know which open day I'm going to, but I'm staying in Trinity college for a week for a choral course :biggrin: I'm guessing your two languages would be French and Italian?? :tongue:
Original post by Oromis263
Of course, Medicine is the only exception. May they ever be remembered.

I couldn't imagine getting 4 rejections, and that being relatively normal. :s-smilie:

Exactly! Don't do drugs medicine kids.
Original post by Welsh Lady

Most threads. The internet does have its fair share of narcissists, idiots and liars.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 639

I got a D in a half GCSE in citizenship in year 10 :biggrin:
A in the coursework and an E in the exam, but that's probably to be expected since we never actually had a citizenship lesson and they just gave us a booklet to learn at the start of the year, most of us failed :P

Latest

Trending

Trending