The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yash13
From experience and information on TSR I can say the following:

Oxford - Focus on AS Grades, TSA and Interview.
Cambridge- Focus on AS UMS in all subjects and Interview.
UCL, LSE- Focus on AS UMS especially in Mathematics.
Warwick- Focus on GCSE and AS Grades

Generally for the top 5 you will need one or more A* predictions. The A* should be in Mathematics to meet the minimum for all these courses except Oxford.

Outside of the top 5 you are likely to get offers from if you get one or more A* predictions with your GCSEs.

These guys will probably know more as I only applied to two of the top 5 and was rejected by both with all A* predictions.

Warwick- >7 A*S GCSE required it seems.
Cambridge- Low Maths UMS.

You have further mathematics, which I did not therefore you have a good chance with good predictions and UMS for the top 5.

Hope that helps and good luck!

I was really hoping to go to Warwick but I am quite put off by their 7A* requirement. :frown:
i think cambrigde is overrated for econ, many of us could probably get in but choose to go to unis with a better social life and connections, such as heriot watt
Reply 9682
Original post by goldenboy247
i think cambrigde is overrated for econ, many of us could probably get in but choose to go to unis with a better social life and connections, such as heriot watt

Don't blame you, isn't Herriot watt top 5 according to the guardian league table? Quite a few of my friends have turned down their Cambridge offers to go there! Apparently their grads sometimes get into the big 4 :eek:
Reply 9683
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
I was really hoping to go to Warwick but I am quite put off by their 7A* requirement. :frown:

If you prefer Warwick over UCL then apply to Warwick despite less chances of getting in, because if you get into UCL but don't want to go it is foolish. If you are only applying due to prestige then I would apply to UCL. I do not regret not applying to UCL as much because I prefer campus universities despite their disadvantage in location in terms of job prospects compared to the London universities.

Original post by Tateco
Don't blame you, isn't Herriot watt top 5 according to the guardian league table? Quite a few of my friends have turned down their Cambridge offers to go there! Apparently their grads sometimes get into the big 4 :eek:

LOOL. Hey none of this University snobbery Mr.UCL :biggrin: but no, no-one does that. Haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9684
Original post by Yash13
If you prefer Warwick over UCL then apply to Warwick despite less chances of getting in, because if you get into UCL but don't want to go it is foolish. If you are only applying due to prestige then I would apply to UCL. I do not regret not applying to UCL as much because I prefer campus universities despite their disadvantage in location in terms of job prospects compared to the London universities.

LOOL. Hey none of this University snobbery Mr.UCL :biggrin: but no, no-one does that. Haha.

A stupid statement deserves a stupid response :wink: the big 4 do take over 5000 grads each year though :wink:
Original post by Yash13

Good advice but I don't agree on this part. Why do people think you'll have an advantage if you live in London? There are as many recruiters coming to universities outside of London (Warwick, Cambridge, Oxford) as inside of London. The only advantage might be that you are closer, that is, if you secure an interview for instance you won't have to buy an expensive train ticket :tongue: But other than that it doesn't really matter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9686
Original post by nightmare91
Good advice but I don't agree on this part. Why do people think you'll have an advantage if you live in London? There are as many recruiters coming to universities outside of London (Warwick, Cambridge, Oxford) as inside of London. The only advantage might be that you are closer, that is, if you secure an interview for instance you won't have to buy an expensive train ticket :tongue: But other than that it doesn't really matter.

I agree with you, the only difference is it is easier to get to interviews, meetings, networking events etc. but I don't think there will be a disadvantage at all moving from outside London.
Reply 9687
Original post by Tateco
A stupid statement deserves a stupid response :wink: the big 4 do take over 5000 grads each year though :wink:

Lol true actually. Lool I am not saying you were wrong :u:

Original post by nightmare91

Oh I seem to be misinformed thank you. I read a few graduate market reports such as high fliers and a few forums that state that London universities receive the most presentations from close by firms and thus networking its better. You make a good argument sorry for spreading the misconception, you learn something new everyday on TSR :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9688
Original post by Yash13

Oh I seem to be misinformed thank you. I read a few graduate market reports such as high fliers and a few forums that state that London universities receive the most presentations from close by firms and thus networking its better. You make a good argument sorry for spreading the misconception, you learn something new everyday on TSR :colone:

There may be slightly more informal presentations at societies because of the proximity to firms but this won't give a big advantage over Non-London universities.
I just did this http://www.sporcle.com/games/DeaconEcon/famous_economists

:eek: Léon Walras? Who has ever heard of him?
Original post by Brand New Eyes

only got 4
:getmecoat:
Original post by funkydee
only got 4
:getmecoat:

:P I only got 7, only vaguely heard of Becker and Schumpeter o.O

I missed Veblen :frown:
You will probably come across Walras next year in micro theory :smile:
Original post by Ray_Han
I missed Veblen :frown:
You will probably come across Walras next year in micro theory :smile:

Oh hai new person! :biggrin:

*just saw your sig* how did you find this thread?

ah no! how could you!? I only got it because of Veblen goods, didn't really know about the other stuff.

I'm taking a gap year so probably not :wink:
Oh hai new person! :biggrin:

*just saw your sig* how did you find this thread?

ah no! how could you!? I only got it because of Veblen goods, didn't really know about the other stuff.

I'm taking a gap year so probably not :wink:

Hi! I think I posted in it ages ago, because it comes up on my watched threads. :ninja:
Yep, I've clearly been slacking in my revision (I have)!
Ah right, hope you enjoy a year off then, will hopefully be a good experience :smile:
Reply 9695

Only got 5, can't believe I didn't get Veblen or Schumpeter :colondollar:
Original post by Yash13

Don't worry, that's what TSR is for :biggrin:
Reply 9697
Firmed UCL and insured Bath, university here I come (hopefully) :biggrin:
Original post by Tateco

:woo:

I was going to insure Bath, but I couldn't take the risk :tongue:
Reply 9699
Original post by Tateco

Hopefully see you there then! :smile:

Latest